Lord of the Rings Universe Thread

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm totally with you as I didn't love the first season and even walked away somewhat disappointed. At the same time I didn't hate it, and it showed enough promise to the point where I could see the show still being redeemed with a really good second season. There was also a few elements of S1 I really enjoyed.
I got into it at the beginning stages as the story unfolded and you could kind of start to see what was unraveling, but then it started going too fast toward the end and I watched it with my wife who kept asking me questions about the canon so I was distracted. I probably need to give it another watch before season 2 debuts, which I have no problem with because I love the Tolkien universe.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I got into it at the beginning stages as the story unfolded and you could kind of start to see what was unraveling, but then it started going too fast toward the end and I watched it with my wife who kept asking me questions about the canon so I was distracted. I probably need to give it another watch before season 2 debuts, which I have no problem with because I love the Tolkien universe.

From what I understand, you're going to get a whole lot more of it. Even Peter Jackson is working things.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I dealt with a lot of wife questions as well, which can be tough when they're covering subject matter that was basically outlined in the books (especially when they add additional story elements)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I dealt with a lot of wife questions as well, which can be tough when they're covering subject matter that was basically outlined in the books (especially when they add additional story elements)

Those those uninitiated, were these events covered in the LOTR books or were they in other volumes? Or were they covered in the novels at all?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I have hope yet. I didnt hate the first season, but its definitely had its troubles. Some really cool elements that kept me coming back though. Looks like they are getting in to the meat of it now.

Maybe I missed him in the trailer, but whar Gandalf?

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Those those uninitiated, were these events covered in the LOTR books or were they in other volumes? Or were they covered in the novels at all?
They only had rights to certain material for this series. They were limited mostly to what appears in the LotR trilogy books themselves. and the Hobbit. A lot of it came from appendices.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I agree, and I was super cloudy on some of the finer elements of the lore. I could not for the life of me figure out who the fallen star wizard was for the longest time, but I openly speculated to her that I believe it to be either Gandalf, Radagast, or Saruman, and had to explain to her who Radagast was, which was a struggle as I never read Silmarillion (still plan to) and only remember him very vaguely from the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy.

Another thing she had countless questions about was the origin of orcs. I explained to her that they are a dark deviation from the elves, and kind of got a glimpse of that with Adar. But I couldn't fully explain it to her. Like did these evil elves mate with goblins or what? In the LOTR trilogy it almost looks like the Uruk Hai orcs were 'birthed' as fully grown creatures essentially emerging from mud.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree, and I was super cloudy on some of the finer elements of the lore. I could not for the life of me figure out who the fallen star wizard was for the longest time, but I openly speculated to her that I believe it to be either Gandalf, Radagast, or Saruman, and had to explain to her who Radagast was, which was a struggle as I never read Silmarillion (still plan to) and only remember him very vaguely from the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy.

Another thing she had countless questions about was the origin of orcs. I explained to her that they are a dark deviation from the elves, and kind of got a glimpse of that with Adar. But I couldn't fully explain it to her. Like did these evil elves mate with goblins or what? In the LOTR trilogy it almost looks like the Uruk Hai orcs were 'birthed' as fully grown creatures essentially emerging from mud.

I've tried to read the Silmarillion like 5 times. I just can't do it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'm pretty sure Tolkien himself was on the record that he didn't think anyone but himself would ever be interested in most of that sort of work he did.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Premise is weak. When I first read about a new one in development, I was really, really hoping for the tale of Luthien and Beren, the Silmarils and the defeat of Morgoth. That story has everything you need for a big budget movie trilogy (or more).
100 billion percent agree. It's the Bible multiplied by the Illiad, there's 4000 hours of movie there if you want it.

Could have EASILY done one season per "age" more or less and had great content for YEARS.
1. Creation of world (kinda boring) and Melkor being a problem - maybe that's a preamble
2. Awakening of the Elves, journey to Aman, Sundering
3. Feanor creates Silmarils/ Melkor destroys the Trees and dips to Middle earth
4. Meanwhile in Middle Earth, Men turn up, Dwarves do stuff, and Thingol rules, First battle
5. Feanor goes ham, Kinslaying, Noldor exile and Second battle
6. Lots of wars, Gondolin, Hurin, ending in Fingolfin v Morgoth (this could be 3 seasons itself)
7. Turin Turambar
8. Beren & Luthien
10. Voyage of Earendil / Final Battle

That's a list made by an idiot with 5 minutes work. Surely they could have done better that what we have had so far.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Keep trying. Took me years. Pick up, get bored or confused, put down. Starting when I was probably 10 or 12, thru college. Probably tried 10 or 12 times thru my life, finally got it to make sense when I was maybe 40?

Once it clicks for you, its unbelievable how much is there. It's just awesome. Totally worth it. Have read it and will read it again.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
100 billion percent agree. It's the Bible multiplied by the Illiad, there's 4000 hours of movie there if you want it.

Could have EASILY done one season per "age" more or less and had great content for YEARS.
1. Creation of world (kinda boring) and Melkor being a problem - maybe that's a preamble
2. Awakening of the Elves, journey to Aman, Sundering
3. Feanor creates Silmarils/ Melkor destroys the Trees and dips to Middle earth
4. Meanwhile in Middle Earth, Men turn up, Dwarves do stuff, and Thingol rules, First battle
5. Feanor goes ham, Kinslaying, Noldor exile and Second battle
6. Lots of wars, Gondolin, Hurin, ending in Fingolfin v Morgoth (this could be 3 seasons itself)
7. Turin Turambar
8. Beren & Luthien
10. Voyage of Earendil / Final Battle

That's a list made by an idiot with 5 minutes work. Surely they could have done better that what we have had so far.
I thought the Rings of Power was a natural followup, just because there's some familiarity there with the basic background to Lord of the Rings, but nothing blew my lid off more as a kid reading LOTR than the idea that this all powerful evil dude Sauron, who was an existential threat to all that was in the Third Age, was just a lieutenant for an even badder dude in the distant past.

Reactions: CascadeClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Keep trying. Took me years. Pick up, get bored or confused, put down. Starting when I was probably 10 or 12, thru college. Probably tried 10 or 12 times thru my life, finally got it to make sense when I was maybe 40?

Once it clicks for you, its unbelievable how much is there. It's just awesome. Totally worth it. Have read it and will read it again.

Nah I’m done. I want to be entertained.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't know. In the books, Gollum was an interesting character and in the movie, his character was well done, but I'm am decidedly meh when it comes to a movie based on something that was just briefly alluded to in the book (the hunt for Gollum). I'm sure I'll watch it, but I expect a CGI crapfest with a LOTR skin on it. Hope I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron