Losing my job mid July…advice?

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
So I was just informed today that me along with my entire department are getting eliminated mid July. Anyone recently been in the market? What’s the temperature like? Advice for an about to be unemployed?

For context I’m (currently) a program director at a non profit. Brutal times for NPs right now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That seriously sucks.

If it were me I'd take at least a bit of time to think about what I'd like to do.

Otherwise I'd look at a place that's likely to be reliable even if it's a Costco or something. It's at least a job and who knows, could lead to something later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Only fans.

In all seriousness depending on your willingness to slightly change "what you do" I'm sure you'll find something. I lost my job 3 years out of school and in the moment my world was collapsing, in hindsight it was one of the best things to happen to me.

Not sure your location or willingness to relocate, but the company I work for in North Central Iowa is hiring like gangbusters - if you're interested send me a DM and I'll get you a contact.

As other's have suggested, take care of yourself and BE PERSISTENT.

Reactions: BigTurk and Peter

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Keep calm and stay focused. I would recommend a hard look at Red Cross.

redcross.org/jobs

If you're in the non-profit sector and wanting to continue on in that front I'd recommend highly to attach yourself to one of the NP that are pretty recession proof due to their size. American Heart would be another I'd eyeball. Regarding Red Cross, blood (at least currently) is still an in demand thing, disasters seem to keep happening, and as long as the US military exists there is a role for deployment support and emergency messaging.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
So I was just informed today that me along with my entire department are getting eliminated mid July. Anyone recently been in the market? What’s the temperature like? Advice for an about to be unemployed?

For context I’m (currently) a program director at a non profit. Brutal times for NPs right now.
Sorry to hear. Been in your situation and it really stinks. But, as others have said, take care of yourself mentally. It's easier said than done to not dwell on it and maybe start stressing and spiraling a bit. While that's normal, don't let that run your mental state. You're good at what you do. There are companies and orgs hiring. Look at other avenues like being a consultant or freelancer for your line of work. Start working your network on Linkedin, etc. Reach out to companies you may have thought you'd like to work for just for coffee with someone you may know that works there.

In my experience, as you grow older it's ALL about who you know. While your resume and experience is important, having an 'in' with people goes really far.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Only fans.

In all seriousness depending on your willingness to slightly change "what you do" I'm sure you'll find something. I lost my job 3 years out of school and in the moment my world was collapsing, in hindsight it was one of the best things to happen to me.

Not sure your location or willingness to relocate, but the company I work for in North Central Iowa is hiring like gangbusters - if you're interested send me a DM and I'll get you a contact.

As other's have suggested, take care of yourself and BE PERSISTENT.
Where in NC Iowa? Have a friend who is looking. Honestly, a friend.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

I was laid off last may and it’s definitely scary currently. A lot of good advice on here it appears. Keep calm and keep applying and networking

Reactions: Peter

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

That blows. Something of an upside, you have a two-month heads up to start planning for next steps. Are you committed to sticking in the NP sector? I think there are good opportunities out there for program/project managers out there in corporate/private/industry settings.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Tough to see it right now, but I got fired from a job 15 years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It sucked at first and I went on unemployment. But I found a job that I really loved and have been there ever since. My advice is start looking at your bills and getting rid of things you don't need. Pay off credit cards and vehicles if possible. Just get as lean as possible. Pick up a part time job somewhere just to make ends meet...whether that is driving uber, bartending, construction. Set aside a couple hours a day to work on the job search. It will work itself out eventually even if there are some hard times for a few months.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I was in your shoes 3.5 years ago.

I would say try to go on that trip you've always wanted to do (if you have cushion to do so). Visit the US state you've always wanted to see in summer.

Do a fun weekend in Chicago for a great summer weekend if you want to keep it cost friendly.

But yeah, focus on yourself, don't feel as though you need to rush into the job search if you can allow for that.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Sorry for your loss.

Not sure how rooted you are to your location. I think some national nonprofits may be willing to allow you to work remotely to cover more locations.

Good luck!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Our city has some of the lowest unemployment rates right now. May not be able to stay in non profits but may have other doors open. LinkedIn jobs, let former colleagues know you are looking, spruce up resume. I'm always happy to take a look. Can be hard to edit your own life.......I struggled with that but I enjoy doing it for others. If you aren't getting severance, check out unemployment next.

Last edited:

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Not sure what your background is, but you might check out the 80,000 hours job board, lots of positions with organizations tackling major issues: