Mac vs. PC

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
I'm looking to get a new computer after X-mas. I have many options if I was going to get a PC. Does anyone here use a Mac? If so, what do you like (or don't like) about it?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Never had a Mac but have thought about our next desktop being an iMac. There are pros/cons to both sides...this should be a fun thread to read with great info.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
what tasks are you going to use the computer to do. Mac's are better for some things while PC's are better at others.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
macs SUXXXX... and PCs RUUUULLEE!!!

j/k

I have only ever used a PC (outside or Oregon Trial on the IIe) and a bit scared of the Mac and its attention. I look forward to reading this thread and learning more about them.... good thread. +rep.

-keep.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
We have both at home. I love how easy the mac is to use, but I am used to a PC so I always want to do things the pc way and a lot of the time that does not work. MrsBrianHos has a macbook pro, she loves it, it is the best form factor and most functional laptop I have ever seen.

That being said, I just bought a new PC the other day. Athlon 5600+, 2g, DVD burner, Geforce 8600 gts, and a 22" samsung, for all of that I paid $600.

Macs are great, but they are 2x the price.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want something basic for email, internet and some photo and video tinkering, buy a mac. If you are more of a techie and want do more, have access to more variety of applications, gaming, etc buy a pc.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm no expert but basically:

If you are going to do high level graphic design or video editing, then you want a Mac.

If you want to play relatively new and demanding games, then you want a PC.

If you are just doing the listen to music, go online, type papers/Christmas letters, then no matter what people say (and they will say), it doesn't really matter. PCs tend to be cheaper, Macs tend to have less problems in the way of spyware or viruses. But really, it doesn't matter all that much.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I have only used a Mac a couple of times in college classes and did not like them. But that may have been due to having to learn how to do things differently then I am use to with a PC. I do like thier commercials though.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Price has been the detractor for me on Macs as well... We are looking into laptops for a few months down the road though and will look at both.

The Mac ads are the best - although the PC character is the reason why they are so dang funny... "Mac's new Leopard operating system has lots of great features? I say, ignore them"

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I got a Mac two years ago, and will never go back. The thing is intuitive, all the programs work together like you'd expect, and it's great for video and photo editing. Also, as far as web surfing goes, it's been hooked up to the internet now and used for e-mails and whatnot and not had a single virus. I've done nothing to maintain it or keep it clean and it's running as fast as it was the day I bought it.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want something basic for email, internet and some photo and video tinkering, buy a mac. If you are more of a techie and want do more, have access to more variety of applications, gaming, etc buy a pc.

If all they want to do is the basic stuff why would they go out and pay $1k or more for a mac when they can pay $400-500 for a PC to do the same thing?

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I've also been wondering about this, as my current PC is from '96 or so, and needs to be replaced. The thing I'm wondering about is word processing. I know you can get most of the same programs for both types, and I generally only use my computer for writing, research when I'm not at the library, and that's about it for the most part.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I'm looking to get a new computer after X-mas. I have many options if I was going to get a PC. Does anyone here use a Mac? If so, what do you like (or don't like) about it?
imac_review7.jpg

I use one of the new IMacs at school here...it seems to have less problems with locking up or running slow than my PCs at home. That could be because it's brand new and better maintained being a school computer. I never thought I would consider a Mac, but this one is pretty sweet. Only problem is they're a lot more expensive every time I've ever looked.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I was told that Macs are built to carry both OS and Microsoft operationg systems. So if you use to XP atmosphere and want the versitility of a Mac, then I think Mac is the way to go. I am strongly considering getting one in the future! Just need the money

Click here to make Donations!

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I'm no expert but basically:

If you are going to do high level graphic design or video editing, then you want a Mac.

If you want to play relatively new and demanding games, then you want a PC.

If you are just doing the listen to music, go online, type papers/Christmas letters, then no matter what people say (and they will say), it doesn't really matter. PCs tend to be cheaper, Macs tend to have less problems in the way of spyware or viruses. But really, it doesn't matter all that much.

I agree with everything here, except that for the 3rd point, the spyware/viruses were a big deal to us and therefor worth the extra money to eliminate the hassle. I'm not a gamer, so that didn't matter either.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I've also been wondering about this, as my current PC is from '96 or so, and needs to be replaced. The thing I'm wondering about is word processing. I know you can get most of the same programs for both types, and I generally only use my computer for writing, research when I'm not at the library, and that's about it for the most part.

Our Mac at school has all the microsoft office programs on it and is compatible with the same programs that I use at home on my PC.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It really depends on a lot of things.

Are you used to Windows? Do you use Windows at work?
I've used Windows my whole life so that's what I'm used to using. The few times I've played around with Macs, I've been completely lost.

If I had never used a PC before and was just starting out, I may consider a Mac.

I haven't touched a Mac in a couple of years but my mother in law (teacher) used to call me and ask about software. Every time I would look for software for the Mac the choices were very limited. Like i said, this may have changed.

The other big question that I ask myself is what could I do on a Mac that I can't do on a PC?

I use PC's at work and sometimes work remotely. Do i want to have to deal with possible issues?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If all they want to do is the basic stuff why would they go out and pay $1k or more for a mac when they can pay $400-500 for a PC to do the same thing?

Good question. I own pcs. I really dont understand the Mac craze.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I agree with everything here, except that for the 3rd point, the spyware/viruses were a big deal to us and therefor worth the extra money to eliminate the hassle. I'm not a gamer, so that didn't matter either.
The one thing most people don't realize is that Virus and Spyware infections are directly related to what is being done on your computer with the internet. If you don't participate in at risk activities then they won't be an issue to you. But if you are using your computer to get free pr0n, play free games, do pretty much anything free that you should be paying for, well those people are gonna get paid one way or another.

When it comes down to it, it is usually people's kids that bring the problems, because generally the adults don't know enough about how to use a PC to get into trouble with it. And also kids don't have credit cards, so they will go to all these free sites, and in turn infect the computers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have a mac at home because that's what my wife uses, and what baby wants baby gets.

I'd always used a PC before this, and I miss it. IMO, Mac's are more expensive, there isn't as many programs available for it, and you have be heavily associated with Justin Long. These are all bad things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron