Madison Baier commits to Iowa State

IanSmith

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Hi Fanatics,

I just got word that South Tama's Madison Baier committed to Iowa State today. Baier stands 6-foot-4 and led South Tama to its first 5-on-5 state tournament appearance last season.

Baier averaged 13 points, nine rebounds and 4.5 blocks. Stay tuned to CycloneFanatic tonight for more about her commitment.

Reactions: Cyclone06

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I watched her play in the sub state game. Big, Slow and heavy. But is tall. conditioning is a problem at this point. hopefully she gets stronger and quicker could be a good 2 year player

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I watched her play in the sub state game. Big, Slow and heavy. But is tall. conditioning is a problem at this point. hopefully she gets stronger and quicker could be a good 2 year player

I disagree...I think for her size she is fairly mobile and skilled. I do agree that she will need some seasoning before she's ready to be thrown into Big 12 action but think there is potential there. :yes:

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
I'm from around their area (South Tama), and they are coverd by our newspaper, but never paid attention. Definitely going to have to go back through some of them in the near future.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
538566_1.jpg

T-R ALL-AREA GIRLS BASKETBALL: THIS LANE ENDS - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

http://www.teamiowahoops.com/madison-baier.html

Last edited:

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
Article says she blocked 102 shots, which was enough for third in 3A and ninth out of all the classes. It talked extensively about it. "Blocking a shot is one of the best feelings besides winning. If I'm not doing so hot on the offensive end and I need to get going, I get a block and I get pumped up right away."

Also stated she was 2nd in her conference (Little Hawkeye) in rebounding (8.9 per game) and fourth in scoring (12.5 points per game). Not sure who has offered up to now, but her list from this article (in April) says she was contacted by many, most prominently Iowa, Drake and Marquette.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

I think I will trust the coaching staff and their judgment of her skills.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
She seems to have a good attitude. She has 5-6 years to grow, learn and develop to contribute. You can't have too many post players. Nice find IanSmith.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'll definitely have to check out a South Tama game or two this upcoming season.

The commitment appeared to happen right after Malone verballed KSU, so I wonder if we offered her right after Malone was no longer an option.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I love the stories about kids that were life long fans of a college and through hard work and skill their dreams come true. I love it even more when that college is Iowa State! I will be a fan of Madison just for that, good luck and keep working towards making your future dreams come true.

Reactions: simville02

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I love the stories about kids that were life long fans of a college and through hard work and skill their dreams come true. I love it even more when that college is Iowa State! I will be a fan of Madison just for that, good luck and keep working towards making your future dreams come true.

I work with her head coach and assistant coach and they both talk about her developmental skills. She has tremendous upside and is a very hard worker. Coach Fennelly has a proven track record of developing this kind of talent and she will become a solid player for several years for the clones!

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I am glad to see her become a Cyclone. I agree with whoever mentioned her upside. Conditioning and weight training should make a big difference. She still has a year to go and I am sure she will improve a lot over the next year. She already shoots better than Pop does. Now, she just needs to learn to play D like Pop and we will be fine.

I hope we are recruiting Jadda Buckley and Shea Kellogg. Watched them play in the All Iowa Attack tournament and they are special players. Also, the younger of the Melhman sisters from Mason City has some talent that could grow into a D1 player.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I hope we are recruiting Jadda Buckley and Shea Kellogg. Watched them play in the All Iowa Attack tournament and they are special players. Also, the younger of the Melhman sisters from Mason City has some talent that could grow into a D1 player.

Fennelly has reportedly offered scholarships to both Jadda Buckley and Shaya Kellogg.