Magic eight - SI picks ISU as one of 8 that could win it all

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Too lazy to get it linked but Dan Greene at SI picked 8 teams that could win the national title and the cyclones were his required 'outside the top 15' pick.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Is this like getting your picture on the cover of SI? There is a well known curse that goes along with that.

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
While we would be a long shot - compared to the other teams in the story, we look like it, anyway - I still feel this team's best basketball is ahead of it. Outside of the home win against K-Boo and the shooting clinic we put on against Ole Miss, we really haven't seen this team when everyone is playing well. And that, my friends, could be scary for our opponents.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A notable segment of ISU synopsis: "When it comes to this sort of wild card spot, there’s an element of instinct involved. Iowa State feels like a team that could go on a run."

This year's team is in the "zone" that ranges from "deep-run" to "out the first weekend." Teams in the 3-to-5 area tend to be like that.

The 14-15 ISU squad was in The Zone, and we know what happened there. Maybe this time, it'll be on the good end of the spectrum.

My gut-level brake-tap: Capable of run to Final Four, but not dark horse national-title material

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This leads me to believe that we either #A) don't make the tourny, or #B) out first round. Because we are... Iowa State... perpetual nut punch U.

Oh boy, "nutcup" and "we are Iowa State" wrapped into one sentence. My two biggest CF pet peeves in such a confined space. There is no curse. Conference bottom feeders get hosed by officials. Always have and always will. Road teams usually get the short end of the officiating stick. Blue bloods always get the calls and always will. The bad luck is magnified when you are historically terrible in FB and good but not great in MBB, and the opportunities to accomplish great seasons are few.

You are not likely to be good in sports when you have several years of a President actively torpedoing athletics, followed by years of largely incompetent ADs. That's what ISU had.

We have a great AD that has raised money and built a loyal fanbase along with a much increased enrollment and alumni base. We have good young coaches that want to stay here. Things are good, and all of these factors work together and snowball. We'll get kicked in the nuts a few times, but these days ISU is doing more of the kicking. All signs point to that trend continuing.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Oh boy, "nutcup" and "we are Iowa State" wrapped into one sentence. My two biggest CF pet peeves in such a confined space. There is no curse. Conference bottom feeders get hosed by officials. Always have and always will. Road teams usually get the short end of the officiating stick. Blue bloods always get the calls and always will. The bad luck is magnified when you are historically terrible in FB and good but not great in MBB, and the opportunities to accomplish great seasons are few.

You are not likely to be good in sports when you have several years of a President actively torpedoing athletics, followed by years of largely incompetent ADs. That's what ISU had.

We have a great AD that has raised money and built a loyal fanbase along with a much increased enrollment and alumni base. We have good young coaches that want to stay here. Things are good, and all of these factors work together and snowball. We'll get kicked in the nuts a few times, but these days ISU is doing more of the kicking. All signs point to that trend continuing.

Oh boy, my biggest CF pet peeve: clouded/short memories.

UAB, Hampton...
Ohio State, Michigan State...
Niang's injury...

Go on, you were saying?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Oh boy, my biggest CF pet peeve: clouded/short memories.

UAB, Hampton...
Ohio State, Michigan State...
Niang's injury...

Go on, you were saying?

So, 5 losses in the NCAA tournament in 20 years. In three years Duke got beat by Mercer and Lipscomb in the first round. I don't hear them saying "We are Duke."

I consider Niang's injury as serious bad luck in a terrible time, and I'd consider the seeding and draw vs. MSU as really bad that very well prevented some great accomplishments for ISU basketball. The rest I don't really see that way at all.

Ohio State - an incorrect block/charge call that was REALLY hard to make in real time that kept a 10 seed ISU from the Sweet 16. Count me as skeptical that team was on the cusp of a magical run if they just got past that Ohio St. team. Much like the previous season, they were playing their best ball in March, but when you **** around and lose to bad teams in December and January, seeding is not going to be kind.

Hampton - That team was broken before the conference tourney. They weren't going anywhere if they get by Hampton. They were done.

Michigan St. - Momentum changing call goes Izzo's way. Every team that plays Izzo gets thoroughly bent over by officiating. There is no more favored coach in CBB in terms of officiating. Yes, this one really hurts because that was a great team that got screwed on seeding (which ended up in a bad location/draw). Plus seeing this was essentially a default National Championship game really sucks.

Niang's injury - yes, that's bad luck for sure, and who knows what happens after that. While ISU made a couple pushes to get close, UConn handled ISU that game. Georges would've made a difference for sure, but who knows if it would've been enough. Wierd game - Ejim was horrible and Hogue was played completely out of his mind.

UAB - that team was living on the edge all season. Coming out flat, getting down, making some crazy comeback and had a lot of pure luck to pull them out. It was only a matter of time when it bit them in the ass.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So, 5 losses in the NCAA tournament in 20 years. In three years Duke got beat by Mercer and Lipscomb in the first round. I don't hear them saying "We are Duke."

You make some good observations in your post, but I think you mean Duke losing to (14) Mercer and (15) Lehigh.

**edit -- my first post was Duke seeding**

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As I recall, we were a media darling UAB year. I don't care for this click bait articles these dying magazine companies put out.