Major props to Ben Jacobson...

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
...for UNI winning the Missouri Valley tonight. Year after year after year Jacobson gets the absolute most out of his team. He's also a very classy coach and fierce competitor.

By the way, any chance we could get AJ Green to transfer and join his dad at ISU? He's got one of the prettiest strokes I've seen and he'd add a whole new dimension to our team. The kid is a winner.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
That bowen born kid is the real prize
The AJ Green talk is wild to me. Would love to have him and get the dad connection but if he was going to come wouldn’t he already be here. Guy is going to have his number retired and be in the HOf there does he really want to transfer and ruin that.

Love watching Born play with the confidence he has especially at his size. Just to get in front on anything else though he is in the conference he belongs.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The AJ Green talk is wild to me. Would love to have him and get the dad connection but if he was going to come wouldn’t he already be here. Guy is going to have his number retired and be in the HOf there does he really want to transfer and ruin that.

Love watching Born play with the confidence he has especially at his size. Just to get in front on anything else though he is in the conference he belongs.

it’s a new world in CBB. Nothing is off the table. If he wants to go to the NBA then he knows what he has to do.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
it’s a new world in CBB. Nothing is off the table. If he wants to go to the NBA then he knows what he has to do.
I agree with you for the most part, just think he’s too connected to his hometown school, hope I’m wrong.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Right. Because only players from Power 6 conferences ever get drafted.

C'mon man. Don't be silly.

Reactions: Pat

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
How many draft picks does UNI have in the past 10 years?

Now do ISU

I get what you're writing, but every single ISU player that was drafted in that time period is more talented than anyone that UNI had, and that includes Seth Tuttle, who was a 2nd team All-American player in 2015.

AJ Green was a Top 100 player nationally coming out of high school. He is the most talented player at UNI in quite a long time, maybe ever. He's not going to suddenly shoot up the NBA draft board just because he changes uniforms.

Guys like Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum were drafted from worse conferences than the MVC and have done pretty well for themselves. Hell, Fred Van Vleet went undrafted from the MVC at Wichita State and has done himself pretty well with Toronto. His teammate Pascal Siakam got drafted out of the WAC and is holding his own.

Pro-level talent is more important than the name of the school on your jersey, IMO. AJ has already gone through the NBA's pre-draft evaluation process from a couple of seasons ago. They know who he is.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get what you're writing, but every single ISU player that was drafted in that time period is more talented than anyone that UNI had, and that includes Seth Tuttle, who was a 2nd team All-American player in 2015.

AJ Green was a Top 100 player nationally coming out of high school. He is the most talented player at UNI in quite a long time, maybe ever. He's not going to suddenly shoot up the NBA draft board just because he changes uniforms.

Guys like Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum were drafted from worse conferences than the MVC and have done pretty well for themselves. Hell, Fred Van Vleet went undrafted from the MVC at Wichita State and has done himself pretty well with Toronto. His teammate Pascal Siakam got drafted out of the WAC and is holding his own.

Pro-level talent is more important than the name of the school on your jersey, IMO. AJ has already gone through the NBA's pre-draft evaluation process from a couple of seasons ago. They know who he is.

You don’t think a guy averages 18ppg in the MVC one season, then goes and averages 18 a game in the Big 12 isn’t going to shoot up a draft board?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
You don’t think a guy averages 18ppg in the MVC one season, then goes and averages 18 a game in the Big 12 isn’t going to shoot up a draft board?

Personally, I don't think he would average 18 points per game in the Big 12. Not with more talented players around him then what he has now.

Don't get me wrong; as a dual ISU/UNI fan who absolutely loved watching them win the MVC regular season title a couple of hours ago I absolutely love me some AJ Green. He's remarkably skilled and has as pure a stroke as you'll see at this level, but he's pretty streaky as well. He's a great player at the mid-major level, but I think his ceiling at the Big 12 level would probably be Honorable Mention, maybe 2nd-team at the most. I see him as being another Matt Thomas at ISU, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's too bad UNI dicked around so much in the non con. They've had a great run since valley play started, but still need to win their tournament to get in. Guaranteed can't do worse than the NIT though

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Watched the game yesterday. I think I’ll take LM in the MVCT rematch. I was Impressed with the fortitude they played with. Have a winning attitude.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Loyola has to get through Bradley first.

Bradley pounded them in Peoria and took them to double OT in Chicago.

And yeah, Born missed most of the first month with a broken hand and then had a COVID outbreak before the period where games were getting canceled. The one game they were truly healthy for was the win at St Bonaventure. Tied with Arkansas with two minutes left and lost to Wyoming by 2 with depleted rosters.

This was a good team all along. 14-3 since the first of the year and one of those losses was without AJ Green.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUChippewa

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Personally, I don't think he would average 18 points per game in the Big 12. Not with more talented players around him then what he has now.

Don't get me wrong; as a dual ISU/UNI fan who absolutely loved watching them win the MVC regular season title a couple of hours ago I absolutely love me some AJ Green. He's remarkably skilled and has as pure a stroke as you'll see at this level, but he's pretty streaky as well. He's a great player at the mid-major level, but I think his ceiling at the Big 12 level would probably be Honorable Mention, maybe 2nd-team at the most. I see him as being another Matt Thomas at ISU, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think he would average 18 points easy. Brockington probably goes pro this year, so we'd return very little offense. He would be the instant go to guy. He drives, creates his own shot, draws a ton of fouls, has a mid range game, I've seen him hit the back down fadeaway shot. He might even thrive in TJs offense, but if he came (I don't think he will), he would be a star. He's got a much more well rounded game than Matt Thomas.

The NBA knows what it has with him and I'm guessing he goes pro this year.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
In my opinion, UNI's schedule was set up for an at-large bid if they didn't win the MVC tournament. The problem was they lost most of those games (Vermont, Richmond, Liberty, Arkansas, etc.), except St. Bonaventure. I dont think Green was fully recovered from surgery on both hips. Berhow and Born injured/COVID and Phyf's long haul COVID also contributed to a bad start.
I went to the game last night and Green was great, looks healthy. He could score in the Big 12. Not sure his defense is up to Big 12 level.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
How many draft picks does UNI have in the past 10 years?

Now do ISU
Bring any good guys from UNI over if they are players. We need some outside 3 pt shooting outside of Caleb Grill.

My baseline thought would be though if they come over to ISU, I would hope they are averaging at minimum 15 pts/game in the mvc. If Green or Born can help bring them in.