Making out a will

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Are there any "pre-work" or a checklist that people here would recommend prior to meeting with a lawyer to draft up a will? My wife and I are looking to get one set up soon, and since we've never dealt with anything we may have a lot of questions and a lot that we just don't know. It'd be nice to be prepared so we could be efficient in meeting with the lawyer.
For us it was mainly a series of questions like this, to handle several layers of "what if" scenarios:
  • If you each die at separate times, who gets what
  • If you and your spouse die at the same time, who gets what and who takes care of any kids (and a 2nd & 3rd choice in the event that the preferred choice(s) can't do it)
  • If you have kids, and you, your spouse, and your kids die at the same time, who gets what
  • If you have kids, and your whole family and the kids' intended guardians die at the same time, who gets what
Our wills included setting up a trust to receive assets if both my wife and I die, and part of the terms included how kids get access to those resources. Common options are a lump sum at a certain age or to portion it out into 2-3 pieces as they reach certain ages to avoid giving everything to an 18-year-old.

Reactions: danielyp29

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
For us it was mainly a series of questions like this, to handle several layers of "what if" scenarios:
  • If you each die at separate times, who gets what - ISUFBCURT GETS EVERYTHING
  • If you and your spouse die at the same time, who gets what and who takes care of any kids (and a 2nd & 3rd choice in the event that the preferred choice(s) can't do it) - ISUFBCURT GETS EVERYTHING and kids go to a relative yet to be determined
  • If you have kids, and you, your spouse, and your kids die at the same time, who gets what - NATURALLY ISUFBCURT
  • If you have kids, and your whole family and the kids' intended guardians die at the same time, who gets what - ONCE AGAIN ISUFBCURT
Our wills included setting up a trust to receive assets if both my wife and I die, and part of the terms included how kids get access to those resources. Common options are a lump sum at a certain age or to portion it out into 2-3 pieces as they reach certain ages to avoid giving everything to an 18-year-old.

I just saved you a lot of time and thinking