Mangino OUT as OC. Sturdy is the guy!

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Me thinks this is the reason. And MM just fell on the sword for CPR. It would look real....and I mean REAL bad for CPR and ISU if he just up and left for another job mid season. And he doesn't want that on CPR for being the one to give him another chance at this level. So basically it was a "thank you CPR for giving me this chance to jump start my career.....put some or most of the blame on me for not seeing eye to eye with you....and best of luck buddy". JMHO.

Wow you're delusional.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Yeah I defended him because I feel like people are too anxious to see something else when things aren't working. I will never criticize the result, but I also think that it was an awful risky pass (which I think is what Rhoads was trying to say). When we were running the traditional spread with Mangino Richardson was and is the better choice. When we move to a more power spread type offense Lanning becomes the better choice. I think the power spread style fits our team better, but that wasn't what we were running.

So throwing to your best player who has at least 6" on the struggling defender who is in single coverage. Yeah, you might risk winning by throwing that ball too much.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
That Sturdy needs to do is let the running game go wild with Warren, Lanning, and Thomas. Then when the defense has to stack the box, let Lannings big arm hit our stacked WR core. If the offense runs well, the defense plays well. There's pieces all over on this team.

Mangino just failed them.
My worry is that our running game is not as stout as we would like to think. TCU nullified it that's why we couldn't do a thing after the first QT. Iowa shut it down in the second half. Now Texas comes in with film and a week to prepare.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Re: I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes but

I agree with that statement. Stubborn and not willing to change has always been Mangino's downside. He has had issues at just about every stop in his coaching career. I wonder if Mangino took this job to help his son and his future...

I question the judgment of the person that hired him after the issues at KU and the fact that no one had hired him other than Youngstown in some minor capacity.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I've always seen Sturdy carry a ton of clout but have never really known much about him. Hope he runs screens 100% of the time. (jimlad for the dumb)

I've never heard of Sturdy but I've always thought he should be our OC.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012

I agree with that statement. Stubborn and not willing to change has always been Mangino's downside. He has had issues at just about every stop in his coaching career. I wonder if Mangino took this job to help his son and his future...

Ya think?
Staffing has often baffled me even with McCarney. The ridiculous salaries these good 'ol boys pay themselves and their buddies. and relatives.
I wouldn't care if we just promoted up the entire Dowling Staff and paid them half of what the present head-set occupiers are getting. Win-Win-Win.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
My worry is that our running game is not as stout as we would like to think. TCU nullified it that's why we couldn't do a thing after the first QT. Iowa shut it down in the second half. Now Texas comes in with film and a week to prepare.

The TCU thing is fair, but they are probably one of the better front seven's will face. Our offensive line is a lot better now than they were against Iowa. I get your concern, but even if our running game can't run on some defenses, it will be excellent against others.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

This. The Big 12 is about scoring...end of story. KSU had the ball for 40 minutes, scored 45 points, and lost to TCU. ISU had the ball for 35 minutes against BU, and in fact, led time of possession against Toledo, TT, and TCU. "Ball control" and holding on to the ball gets you nothing if you can't score when you have the ball. If ISU wants to get out of the Big 12 basement, they have to beat some teams in the upper 2/3 of the conference. And in order to do that, ISU has to score points, because that's what these opponents are doing.

Five Big 12 teams are in the top 16 in points per play. Got to make your possessions count for points in this league.
It is about points/possession more than scoring IMO.

Holding on to the ball may not guarantee wins, but it gives teams like ISU and KSU the best chance...that is definitely something. You know what is worse than "ball control" and "not scoring"? No ball control and "not scoring". It is easier to win the points/possession stat when we limit possessions by making it a slow, disjointed, ugly game IMO. The less possessions the better our chances.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
The TCU thing is fair, but they are probably one of the better front seven's will face. Our offensive line is a lot better now than they were against Iowa. I get your concern, but even if our running game can't run on some defenses, it will be excellent against others.

You're kidding about the TCU front seven right? First off, it's actually a front six, since they play a 4-2-5 90% of the time. Their LB two deep has one Soph and three Frosh. Gary Patterson is the reason they stopped our run after the 1st quarter. He is a great defensive coach when coming to making in game adjustments. Their run defense on average is ranked 78th out of 127 teams. They rank 71st in tackles for loss, behind ISU and Texas.

Iowa on the other hand ranks #3 against the run, while Toledo ranks #28 against the run, and #11 in tackles for loss.

Gary Patterson is the reason for the change during the game.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
You don't have to score a ton of points in this league to win, you just need to generate turn overs. We aren't because we play little sissy nah nah defensive schemes. Either way we aren't good, I just don't think you HAVE to score a ton of points to win.

True...when ISU was making it to bowl games recently, they were creating turnovers. Against Baylor ISU had three picks in their hands and dropped them. The one by Tribune in the 1st quarter most likely would have been a pick six. Turnovers make the difference for teams like ISU. Ball control, moving the chains, scoring when given the opportunity more times than not and turnovers. It's the little things that will kill a program like ISU. When KSU was going to bowl games every year they were also leading the nation in fewest penalties per game. That stat has changed and so has their record.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron