• Abandon football

Votes: 22 13.3%

• Total voters

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Blind loyalty.

Makes sense.

Now you're getting it. If you're trying to convince me that Mangino would be a better coach for the Hawks then Ferentz, you need to try harder.

Kansas fans would rather have Mangino than Ferentz
Iowa fans would rather have Ferentz than Mangino.

Nothing real earth-shattering there.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Now you're getting it. If you're trying to convince me that Mangino would be a better coach for the Hawks then Ferentz, you need to try harder.

And neutral schools would rather have Mangino than Ferentz, considering all the circumstances. Which I think was the exact argument you tried to make.

46-18 tells quite a story.

GrimesCy

Oct 25, 2008
Grimes

I bet they would rather have Cotlar

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
And neutral schools would rather have Mangino than Ferentz, considering all the circumstances. Which I think was the exact argument you tried to make.

46-18 tells quite a story.

Really, you're calling Iowa State fans neutral? They may hate Kansas, but not as much as they hate Iowa. Yeah, they're not biased at all. Try again.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
This thread is gold.

Hawk fans saying they would rather have Ferentz than Mangino, presumably, because he produces better results on the field. Meanwhile, these same Hawk fans are saying that the ISU game is a "no-win" game because ISU is so bad. Yet, Ferentz often loses to the "bad" ISU teams. Meanwhile, Mangino hasn't lost a game he shouldn't have in almost 3 seasons.

Let's see how they spin this one.

Many Hawk fans think it is a no-win game because if Iowa wins they are supposed to and if they lose well it hurts their chance to go to a better bowl game. It's not necessarily because ISU is "so bad" but Iowa is always favored to win and therefore they are expected to do just that.

It's kind of like ISU vs UNI. Yeah, maybe it's good for the state but now that UNI is competitive with ISU it's really a no-win for ISU. If ISU wins, big deal; they beat a IAA team. If ISU loses that is a huge blow to their season because they need to win as many non-conference games as possible.

I am not comparing ISU football to UNI football in anyway, just using that as an example of why many Iowa fans feel the way they do.

Also ISU benefits more financially from the game than Iowa does. If Iowa were to play someone like Mizzou who has a similar size fanbase and stadium, the revenue generated would be comparable and would make more sense.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Many Hawk fans think it is a no-win game because if Iowa wins they are supposed to and if they lose well it hurts their chance to go to a better bowl game. It's not necessarily because ISU is "so bad" but Iowa is always favored to win and therefore they are expected to do just that.

It's kind of like ISU vs UNI. Yeah, maybe it's good for the state but now that UNI is competitive with ISU it's really a no-win for ISU. If ISU wins, big deal; they beat a IAA team. If ISU loses that is a huge blow to their season because they need to win as many non-conference games as possible.

I am not comparing ISU football to UNI football in anyway, just using that as an example of why many Iowa fans feel the way they do.

Also ISU benefits more financially from the game than Iowa does. If Iowa were to play someone like Mizzou who has a similar size fanbase and stadium, the revenue generated would be comparable and would make more sense.

Not always. In 2001 and 2005 Iowa lost to ISU and still ended up in the Alamo and Outback.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis

How does playing Mizzou make more sense than playing your in-state rival? Maybe the past 2 years since Mizzou has been good, but they were a bad football team for years before that.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
I would pick Ferentz. Mangino has had what like one good year, at least Ferentz was one game away from the national championship.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Not always. In 2001 and 2005 Iowa lost to ISU and still ended up in the Alamo and Outback.

Had they won against ISU they may have gone to the Outback in '01 instead of the Alamo and the Capital One in '05 instead of the Outback.

One loss can push them from a better bowl game just like we saw last year. Iowa vs Georgia would have been a more enticing matchup but Iowa finished one game behind MSU.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Had they won against ISU they may have gone to the Outback in '01 instead of the Alamo and the Capital One in '05 instead of the Outback.

One loss can push them from a better bowl game just like we saw last year. Iowa vs Georgia would have been a more enticing matchup but Iowa finished one game behind MSU.

Iowa finished one game behind MSU because they were 5-3 in conference and MSU was 6-2.

IAHAWKS757

Jan 1, 2009
Iowa City
Mangino has won 12 games, and won a BCS bowl. Ferentz hasn't done either of those, has he?

If you really wanted the ISU game dropped, you wouldn't bother hanging out on this board. You love the rivalry and expose yourself as a huge tool by coming to the ISU board and saying that Iowa should drop ISU from the schedule. Get real.

Tool?

Says the child in the bandanna and puka shell necklace.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Maybe I should have just created a, "Which team do you hate more" thread, and then said, "Let's all ***** at each other."

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
- Mangino has 33 wins in the last 4 years; Ferentz has 28 in the same time-span.
- When Mangino took over at KU, they had the worst talent and worst facilities in the conference.
- Mangino requires $2.3mil per year; Ferentz requires $3.3mil a year.
- Ferentz has 2 conference titles to Mangino's 0
- Ferentz has 3 top 10 finishes to Mangino's 1
- Ferentz has 4 bowl wins to Mangino's 2

And, I realize this thread was probably pretty stupid to create, because I doubt many people are going to vote for Ferentz, simply for the fact he's Iowa's coach.

First, SouthernHawk, why do you keep trying to convert us with these stupid threads?

Ferentz has been at Iowa for how long and he has 4 bowl wins. At Mangino's rate, he will get to 4 bowl wins much faster than Ferentz. Again, Mangino is still a relatively new coach and your comparison is not fair to that.

The last issue is that Iowa has a winning history, KU does not. ISU actually has a winning record over Kansas, which should tell you how bad KU was.

Help Support Us

Become a patron