Mark Cody resigns as Oklahoma's Coach

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Resigns not retire correct? Just never could get things going at Oklahoma. Had Howe, Rutt, Brewer, Maple& I think somebody else one year and never got near expectations out of that team

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Resigns not retire correct? Just never could get things going at Oklahoma. Had Howe, Rutt, Brewer, Maple& I think somebody else one year and never got near expectations out of that team

Yeah, I put it wrong in the title. I asked a mod to change it but they haven't gotten around to it yet.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Guessing it is medical or personal, I agree it's a strange time to leave. Too bad, he indeed was a good coach. Will be interesting to see who they get - I'm sure OU would like to get someone to compete directly with OSU and John Smith.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I've heard he was forced out.

I saw that over on TheMat, saying it a big donor was holding up a bunch of money as long as Cody was the coach, but I take anything posted over there with a gigantic grain of salt.

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
Milhof has announced he plans on leaving he's looking at Ohio State, Virginia Tech, ASU, UNC, and NC State

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm against coaches trying to bring athletes with them if they switch jobs (I think VT did the right thing when Brands left and ISU did the right thing when Cael left) but it seems like refusing to let guys transfer in this situation would have a negative impact for Oklahoma's recruiting long term.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm against coaches trying to bring athletes with them if they switch jobs (I think VT did the right thing when Brands left and ISU did the right thing when Cael left) but it seems like refusing to let guys transfer in this situation would have a negative impact for Oklahoma's recruiting long term.

I think it depends on the coach. I don't see an issue with them saying, let us find a coach before semester break and see what you think. Kinda late to jump right now isn't it.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yeah, according to Millhof's comments the timing is bad to transfer

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16709

Millhof came to Oklahoma as the No. 21 recruit in the nation, and earned All-American honors in his true sophomore season. He still has two years of eligibility and a redshirt season available. But because of the timing of these developments, the path to a new school is tricky.

"After Cody stepped down, I asked for a release," Millhof said. "The university gave approval for 'Permission to Contact,' other schools but denied me a release from scholarship. I requested an appeal, which will be heard within the next two weeks."

Because the application window for admission to other schools for the fall semester has passed, Millhof can't transfer out until the second semester. This gives him two options. If he receives his release, he can transfer to a new institution for the spring semester and be eligible right away. But if he loses his appeal, he will still be able to transfer for spring semester, but will be ineligible for 365 days from the date of enrolling in the new school.

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
Oklahoma is fumbling this situation pretty bad. Denying a kid a release who really wants out will never work out for a school. Put restrictions on it if you must, but don't think you're going to force him to stay, and understand that trying to force him is going to be a bad look.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think it depends on the coach. I don't see an issue with them saying, let us find a coach before semester break and see what you think. Kinda late to jump right now isn't it.

The kids only have so many years of eligibility though. And if they transferred before school starts they'd be able to compete either right away or at the start of the 2017 season. Waiting until the semester break could cost them a year of competition.

In Milhoff's case he'd only miss fall semester, but that would include missing the big holiday tournaments that really set the stage for the whole season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron