Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not exactly professional responses from the AD here. Doesn't bode well for "they made an informed decision" and instead smells more like stubbornness and digging their heels in, even if it meant retaining a coach whose record certainly didn't justify an extension.

It's also pretty petulant on Tommy's part.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I was curious about the record since that release didn’t match what people had been saying. They were actually 3-6-10 from my count. Still not good but better than what people have been saying.

I also think the Covid excuse probably makes some reasonable sense.

I wish the school would come out and comment on the allegations though. Based on their response and what I’ve seen I think it is probably more in the sour grapes area but it deserves an investigation and outcome. For Fannons sake more than anyone he deserves being cleared of that is the result.

Reactions: VeloClone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The only reason someone from our AD should respond that way to a reporter is if we feel they were recklessly reporting on the school. I don’t know enough information on what exactly did or did not happen, but on the surface this is not a good look for us regardless of how right we think we are. If you feel strongly about your decision to extend a coach, go on record and answer questions. Don’t say leave me alone. If Birch truly doesn’t deserve a response from you because you think he caused unnecessary harm to your school by recklessly reporting on things, then the guy shouldn’t have a job. There’s not a lot of middle ground here in my opinion.
Yeah, assuming they conducted an investigation (which I think they absolutely should have) then you just say, “we did an investigation and x”

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Not exactly professional responses from the AD here. Doesn't bode well for "they made an informed decision" and instead smells more like stubbornness and digging their heels in, even if it meant retaining a coach whose record certainly didn't justify an extension.
Straight from the Ferentz school of PR.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice and alarson

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was curious about the record since that release didn’t match what people had been saying. They were actually 3-6-10 from my count. Still not good but better than what people have been saying.

I also think the Covid excuse probably makes some reasonable sense.

I wish the school would come out and comment on the allegations though. Based on their response and what I’ve seen I think it is probably more in the sour grapes area but it deserves an investigation and outcome. For Fannons sake more than anyone he deserves being cleared of that is the result.

They were 3-10-4.

1667844275064.png

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I'm going to assume that JP has a lot more information on the situation than anyone on this board and if he thinks this move is in the best interest of ISU, he's earned the benefit of the doubt from me.
Just like all the information he had on Prohm and going with that big extension we handed out and had to pay off? That worked out really well.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Yeah, assuming they conducted an investigation (which I think they absolutely should have) then you just say, “we did an investigation and x”
It’s evident from the press-release Sanders recently had conversations with team members. The only allegation of record is a former ISU athlete who didn’t like weighing in before and after practices.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Do some of you actually think Jamie Pollard would risk reputational damage to himself and Iowa State University on a soccer coach with a subpar record if their research found any truth to those claims? Just think about the risk/reward of that for a second.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s evident from the press-release Sanders recently had conversations with team members. The only allegation of record is a former ISU athlete who didn’t like weighing in before and after practices.
Yep, and Tommy spun it as “multiple sources.” Pretty embarrassing journalism.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Seems like a pretty big PR botch job. You don't have to fire him but you certainly don't have extend him through 2026. I don't think you can justify that even by ignoring the allegations.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
not really.

they took an action.
as a beat reporter he followed up for comment (normal)
they responded fairly unprofessionally (abnormal both in general and for this AD)
he reported their response (normal)

Press release had a Pollard quote, a Sanders quote, and a Fannon quote.

There's no reason to follow up for additional comment.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Just like all the information he had on Prohm and going with that big extension we handed out and had to pay off? That worked out really well.

The bigger point I was trying to make is JP has earned the benefit of the doubt from me when looking at his entire nearly 20 year career at ISU. He's done vastly more good than bad and I respect his ability to make decisions. He isn't always right. He's right way more often than he's wrong though, so to me that's enough to trust that he made a decision that was in the best interest of ISU. Seems like that's not enough for you. To each their own.

Reactions: ClonesFTW and jsb

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I wonder if Tommy reached out to her before putting out his hit piece. If not, he got what he deserved.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The bigger point I was trying to make is JP has earned the benefit of the doubt from me when looking at his entire nearly 20 year career at ISU. He's done vastly more good than bad and I respect his ability to make decisions. He isn't always right. He's right way more often than he's wrong though, so to me that's enough to trust that he made a decision that was in the best interest of ISU. Seems like that's not enough for you. To each their own.

I'll be honest, as a woman, I thought the allegations were more serious than many of the people on this board did. But I trust Jamie and if he made a mistake, we will all know soon enough.