Matty's Defense "Iced"

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He is much improved, but it was Niang on Uthoff most of the 2nd half vs. Iowa. Thomas is getting a lot of that credit. He did well against Jok too.

I have not re-watched but Georges got owned pathetically by Uthoff in the first half more than once. Thomas iced him out and then took care of Peter when he decided he wanted to start making threes. Thomas is no Babb but he's probably our best all around defender. I think Monte would be but he is just too small to match up against bigger players.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have not re-watched but Georges got owned pathetically by Uthoff in the first half more than once. Thomas iced him out and then took care of Peter when he decided he wanted to start making threes. Thomas is no Babb but he's probably our best all around defender. I think Monte would be but he is just too small to match up against bigger players.

This. Matt threw Uthoff out of his groove and as soon as Jok started heating up Prohm switched Matt to him and soon Jok wasn't hot anymore.

the-cooler.jpg

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've been on the Matty Ice bandwagon for a long time now, but let's slow down on calling his defense spectacular. He is greatly improved on defense but not spectacular by any means.

Yes, I am a debbie downer!

I always expected Matt's shooting to come around...he is a shooter, after all. But defense is very difficult to "learn". You've either got it or you don't. IMO, it's rare to see someone improve their defense as much as he has from last year to this one.

I wouldn't call it spectacular, but it's not a reach to say he is currently our best defender by a decent margin. McKay has length and athleticism and plays a different role than Matt, but MFT is currently our go-to guy when a defensive change is needed. I never expected that to happen.

Help Support Us

Become a patron