Maui Invitational Team and Fan Hotel Currently on Workers Strike

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anyone else see the Marriott Workers strike in the US and Hawaii affecting some hotels. The Sheraton Maui is one of them. That is the team and official Maui Invitational Hotel for those who bought packages. Seems like a pretty nasty work stoppage according to reports the Sheraton has 1 restaurant open with limited hours and menus, 1 bar open, no housekeeping ect......basically service and amenities are at a bare minimum. One article suggests the strike may last into 2019. I have one of those packages, I hope something gets worked out.......

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Yep, that's where we will be as well.. I assume marriott will be throwing in a lot of freebies for us if they don't have it resolved. That or they will bring in workers from elsewhere for that week since it's tournament sponsoring hotel?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yep, that's where we will be as well.. I assume marriott will be throwing in a lot of freebies for us if they don't have it resolved. That or they will bring in workers from elsewhere for that week since it's tournament sponsoring hotel?

The interesting thing to me at the moment is the Marriott sites have no mention of the issues and when asked by press they say the hotels are open and functioning but sounds like barely functioning and not offering discounts or letting folks cancel. They are not even letting folks with reservations know there is an issue.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
The interesting thing to me at the moment is the Marriott sites have no mention of the issues and when asked by press they say the hotels are open and functioning but sounds like barely functioning and not offering discounts or letting folks cancel. They are not even letting folks with reservations know there is an issue.

Yeah I've read the same things too... I read one of the Boston hotels was maybe in the worst shape, maybe a westin? But I also had a friend tell me that his buddy was staying one of the hotels in Chicago that was affected, he said that they gave him all kinds of freebies at check in.

I have to imagine marriott would make it right with their guests when it's a Hawaii vacation and people have a good amount invested .. Who knows, it's definitely been stressing me out the last week thinking about it though :/

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yeah I've read the same things too... I read one of the Boston hotels was maybe in the worst shape, maybe a westin? But I also had a friend tell me that his buddy was staying one of the hotels in Chicago that was affected, he said that they gave him all kinds of freebies at check in.

I have to imagine marriott would make it right with their guests when it's a Hawaii vacation and people have a good amount invested .. Who knows, it's definitely been stressing me out the last week thinking about it though :/

Well if they have no services I say all us Iowans get some 12 packs, take over the pool and have an old school Cyclone tailgate in paradise......

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We're at the Sheraton as well. If we have a bed to sleep in and the plumbing is functional, we can survive the rest of it. However, if there is no compensation for the reduced services/amenities in the way of freebies or a reduced rate, I will not be a happy camper.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

83cy

May 14, 2006
Stayed at a Marriott downtown Chicago a few weeks back we got nothing in extra perks, but we didn't ask either. Restaurants and bars had limited hours but there is so much to do around there it didn't really matter, everything else worked ie housekeeping. Worst part was the repetitive chants and banging on pots, drums etc. and yelling into megaphones while we waited for Ubers outside, couldn't hear it inside.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I was a housekeeper for a semester at the Ames Hilton Garden Inn about 10 years ago.
I'll work for free if they provide me with a plane ticket, lodging, and a ticket to the tourney.

tenor.gif

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Just a heads up for everyone that is staying at the Sheraton. If you've booked through the third party with the tickets, I'm not sure what options you have but may be worth investigating. However I booked the hotel separately on my own, and was able to switch to Westin Ka'anapali Villas. The breaker for me, was I found out the shuttle to lahaina is not stopping at the Sheraton due to the strike.

I'm sure they will make sure things are running as smoothly as possible since this is a huge event. However, if you have the option - I wanted to pass on the word about the shuttle.