• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My thoughts are right between miss the tournament on the bubble and first round exit. Anywhere in the conversation would be a successful year. I think our defense will be legit and the offense a work in progress (that could become better than last year's). I really hate that gauntlet to start the Big 12, but if they can go 3-3 or even 2-4 in that stretch, I'll feel pretty good.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
It's hard to see where the offense is going to come from against good teams. I think our defense might actually be better than last year, but I can't see us making the tourney with an abysmal offense. I voted no tourney, no bubble.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong (seriously).

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It's hard to see where the offense is going to come from against good teams. I think our defense might actually be better than last year, but I can't see us making the tourney with an abysmal offense. I voted no tourney, no bubble.

The offense looks so much better than last year. Like you said the defense might be better too. I came into the season bubble either way. I’m a lot more optimistic now.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The offense looks so much better than last year. Like you said the defense might be better too. I came into the season bubble either way. I’m a lot more optimistic now.
I am glad someone else thinks so. Thought I was on an island which I usually am. We are no offensive juggernaut but we are getting some play and passing in the post that is better than last year. May think differently after this coming weekend but I think we are 4-5 pts/game better on offense. 'Nova plays solid defense, we'll know quite a bit more Thursday evening.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I am glad someone else thinks so. Thought I was on an island which I usually am. We are no offensive juggernaut but we are getting some play and passing in the post that is better than last year. May think differently after this coming weekend but I think we are 4-5 pts/game better on offense. 'Nova plays solid defense, we'll know quite a bit more Thursday evening.

I agree. Our offense isn't just "let's hope Brockington can go to the left".

Sure, we still can't shoot 3s, but I think Brockington's scoring will be more than made up for by the new additions. It just won't come from a single guy is all.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Totally agree.
We have nobody remotely as good as Brockington. He was clutch.
Our best hope is Tre King.
We are winning because we are getting more shots than our opponents because we turn them over. That’s great, but I doubt it happens to that extent against good teams.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is there any hope for Grill. Seems TJ have him the green light in hopes he might start connecting. Right now the 5 in 35 participants have a better %.
Everything about his shot seems broken. He's sloppy with his feet, never really looks like he sets before he launches. He was doing this at times last season, too. I don't know how it has gotten worse and not better during the offseason.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
When it comes to Grill's 3-point shooting, I've come to terms with it ... if he's "on," it's a bonus, so as long as we aren't designing our offensive philosophy based on reliability from deep and we can do enough so he isn't forced to be go-to scorer, I can live with it.

He contributes in other ways. Sometimes he'll clank a 3, then do a hustle-play (a steal or stop on the other end) like 6 seconds later. It's like he has no memory (that can be a good thing in basketball). He has value. I've stopped thinking of him as a "shooter."

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Watching Milwaukee literally not guard Lipsey on the perimeter made me realize we might have some serious issues in B12 play if no one respects his shooting.

*Edit - I just went and looked at his HS stats, he shot 22% from 3 his season year. Not ideal
If he takes care of the ball, gets us into our offense and plays defense, I’ll be happy. Him hitting some open outside shots would be great, too.