MBB vs Texas

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm calling a win at Texas saturday. Everytime this year it seems like we have turned the corner we have a bad game (colorado), and when it has seemed like we're the worst team in the world, we have one of our best games (Ohio State, Baylor). The missouri game might have been the worst of the year so I'm calling a stunner at Texas. Oh, and Texas is very inconsistent.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
They also have the best freshman in the NATION. Kevin Durant is the real deal.

Not only the best freshman, but the best player, period. Who do we put on Durant? I think physically Wesley probably matches up best with him but I don't think he would have any chance of stopping him. Maybe go zone? Texas can shoot but I just don't see how we stop him playing man to man.

CyRed1

Feb 7, 2007
Olathe, KS
Clark has been our stopper all year. I'm sure he'll get the chance to guard KD. No other team has stopped him all year so maybe Clark's the man! Go State.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
They also have the best freshman in the NATION. Kevin Durant is the real deal.

And D.J. Augustin is probably in the top 5 in college freshman. Here's the probable matchups:

Offense - Defense
------------------
Taylor - Abrams
McIntosh - Augustin
Clark - Mason
W. Johnson - Durant
Hubalek - James

Abrams - Taylor
Augustin - McIntosh
Durant - Clark
James - Hubalek
Mason - W. Johnson

Texas has been starting a three-man guard team (Abrams, Augustin, Mason), which should give us a nice advantage at either W. Johnson, Clark, or Hubalek's position. Best guess is that they'll put the 6'2" Mason on Clark, since he doesn't score much. But Texas has a couple of big lane filler subs in Atchley and Pittman (6-10, 293 lbs, holy sh#t that's big). If they were smart, i'd start Atchley against ISU and sit Mason, as i think he'll create a better matchup situation. Otherwise, ISU needs to pound the ball to the low post mismatch early and often.

I'm really concerned about our guard matchup on defense. Abrams and Augustin are probably the best perimeter shooting tandem in the B12, and i really haven't seen Taylor/McIntosh stop the three point game well this year. Plus, while i think Rahshon is a good defender, i doubt he'll be stopping Durant. Wesley v Durant is a good matchup for us offensively, i'm looking forward to seeing it. And i think Hubalek can score on Damion James. It's when Texas subs in the big lunker foul bench post players that i'm worried we'll get pushed around.

Bottom line is that Wesley and Jiri need to have big offensive games, because this is where Texas is weakest: low-post defense when playing 3 guard sets. If we can stop Abrams and Augustin, and just let Durant get his 30 pts, we've got a chance.

We could really use some scoring from Rahshon this game. He could force some mismatches.

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I'm calling a win at Texas saturday. Everytime this year it seems like we have turned the corner we have a bad game (colorado), and when it has seemed like we're the worst team in the world, we have one of our best games (Ohio State, Baylor). The missouri game might have been the worst of the year so I'm calling a stunner at Texas. Oh, and Texas is very inconsistent.

You've completely lost your mind ... and I like it.

ISU by 5 in triple overtime, and pour me a tall one of whatever Trevman is drinkin.:sweet:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
As a secondary thing to the game, it would make us look good if we could shut down Durant and Wesley had a big game.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Not that it matters, but Mike is due for something good. Does he still lead the nation in turnovers?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
According to cbssportsline.com, Taylor still leads the nation in turnovers. He has a comfortable 5 turnover lead on James Florence of Mercer. To Mike's credit (and he deserves some) he averages 4 assists and 4 rebounds a game also.

I've seen stranger things than this team beating a young, inexperienced Texas team. Mike Taylor with a big game and a stomp on midcourt perhaps in celebration?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Hear Ye Hear Ye...They are selling tickets to the game at Texas tomorrow for the princely price of seven dollars apiece.

If I lived close I would buy a couple and go to the game. My sister-in-law works for the State of Texas and they are selling tickets for a measly seven dollars apiece.

I don't know if that reflects badly on us or reflects badly on the U of Texas that they can't sell b-ball tickets.

I'll let you guys be the judge and jury!!!!

Go Clones RIP the Longhorns

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I don't think Texas has ever had that great of basketball attendance even when they were really good. It's still near the top of the league but they easily have the biggest population to draw from of any of the Big 12 schools.

The bad news is I don't see any way we will "stop" Durant. The good news is teams have beaten them without stopping him. That said, I don't see much chance of a win.