McAfee Popup

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I have not seen a pop-up in likely over five years. But this morning there it was McAfee "Your Computer is infected" from derastocytoldly.co.in.

Don't know the site of the attachment: Microsoft, Firefox. Bing/MSN, or my DuckDuckGo. Anyone with an idea on removing this pop-up...I do not subscribe to McAfee. Thanks.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
My wife has occasionally gotten similar popups, not that specific one. Not an actual virus, but a site that sends repeated notifications, the worst a constant bombardment. In her case they originated from third party links on shopping sites that hadn't done a good job of screening their advertisers etc.

It's been a while so I don't recall the exact steps needed to kill them, maybe in permitted notifications even tho you didn't grant permission, don't think it was as simple as deleting browser history. With some popups I was able to do a DDG or Google search to find the source, MIGHT have been on the originating site for the worst, and then track it down to delete it.

I don't claim to be an expert in this, just relating personal experience.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
What browser are you using? What ever one it is, go to the settings to see if you can add or enable a pop up blocker.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
What browser are you using? What ever one it is, go to the settings to see if you can add or enable a pop up blocker.
I had a cup of coffee and was at first requesting "stopping McAfee Popups virus" and was getting ways to install more McAfee stuff. Searched "stopping popups" and it gave a quick step-by-step that worked. It was not too dissimilar to what you advised. Thanks!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Am I the only one who thought of Pat McAfee first when seeing the thread title?

Totally forgot there used to be a McAfee virus protection software.

Reactions: exCYtable

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Am I the only one who thought of Pat McAfee first when seeing the thread title?

Totally forgot there used to be a McAfee virus protection software.

I first read McAfee Poop. Cuz, we’ll, you know…

If you don’t, watch the doc.