McD at UNI

acqflisu

Apr 20, 2006
Davenport, Iowa
Exhibit A is this, when I about drove off the road as I heard Gmac on the post-game:

"I told the team at the timeout, when we were ahead 65-61 in overtime, that we had enough points to win. We just had to make defensive stops."

Hmmm, a defensive stop might have been nice after all.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
It's called getting the point across that they NEED stops and shouldn't rely on trading baskets.

The going rate for trading baskets with ISU is about 4 for the opponent for every 1 for ISU. That is why GMAC doesn't want them trading baskets. :biglaugh:

ISU is currently in a huge trade deficit.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
That wasn't the case in these games.

The Georgia Tech game was one that people were just happy to be there. It had been since 1989-90 since UNI was in the tourney. They got to the finals of the MVC Tournament with Randy Blocker, and Cam Johnson, and lost a tough game to Southern. So people were just elated to go to Milwaukee and watch the game.

They got down early (waited too long to call a timeout). But then came out in the second half and took the lead, 47-45 on a McKowen 3. Then you started to believe they could do it. Ga Tech took control back, but the Panthers made a run at the end. It was 63-60, and Mac took a TO to draw up a last play. You can see where this one is going already I'm sure.....The "shot" attempt they ended up with was a Benny J 3 falling out of bounds.

The Wisonsin game was the worst. They were not even ready to play, and got buried early. Fought their way back within a possession late, and took a TO to draw up a play (again).

Benny inbounded the ball to, I believe Grant Stout (but i could be wrong), and went right to him to take the handoff. UW didn't bite, and stayed up on J and he threw up an off balance 3 that wasn't even close. There was a simultaneous what the **** was that? Among 6 pf us at the table. There was time left on the shot clock, and I think over a minute left in the game.

What sucked about that game was that Kansas turned right around and lost to Bucknell the next game. They would have played Bucknell next.

I couldn't get off work for the Georgetown game. I didn't really try. That team was such a bummer. EC broke his foot, but they played well when he was out. He came back, and they just lost whatever chemistry they had. They lost to Indiana State at home, and just collapsed at the end of the year. I went to Senior Night where they played Bradley. Bradley had given UNI their second loss after Iowa State that year in Peoria, in a close tough game.

This was when they just started to get on their role that got them to the Sweet 16 because they came in and killed UNI 71-49.

The only reason UNI made the NCAA that last year was because they beat Missouri State in the first round of the tourney. MSU didn't get in with and RPI of 22, so it was an elimination game. Then they lost a terrible game to SIU the next day. Same story had the ball at the end of the game tied at 40-40, and couldn't get a good shot, ended up with another prayer from Benny.

Ahh the memories of UNI games.

Thanks Toasted, that was exactly what I was wondering about. It was easy to look up the scores and guess what exactly happened, but I was hoping for someone that could recall the details. It sounds like replays of what we watched last night.

You seem pretty familiar with Greg's UNI teams, did you see a lot of this outside of those NCAA tourney games?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I thought the biggest red flag on GMac was that in his last year at UNI he had about a 3-4 game lead in the conference with about 5-6 games to go and I believe he dropped all but one of them to finish about 3rd in the conference. Talk about failing to close.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
UNI didn't win a lot of "big" games while he was at UNI, IMO. I feel like we had really good talent, and could have done much more. But to Mac's credit, we always seemed to win just enough to make it into the dance, and they always seemed to find a way in. But I think we could have won some NCAA games if we could have gotten the better seeding.

I think a lot of the time, he tried to micro-manage games. We never really had much depth, and always seemed to play about 7 guys. We were heavily reliant on Benny J making his own shot, and making plays out of nothing. I think without Benny J, we might have been in the same situation that Iowa State is in now. ISU just doen't have that prolific scoring guard right now.

That last UNI team that Mac had was picked to win the Valley (an extremely tough MVC, that got 4 teams to the NCAAs), and had the talent to do so, but lost a lot of stinkers that year to teams we should have beaten.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
UNI didn't win a lot of "big" games while he was at UNI, IMO. I feel like we had really good talent, and could have done much more. But to Mac's credit, we always seemed to win just enough to make it into the dance, and they always seemed to find a way in. But I think we could have won some NCAA games if we could have gotten the better seeding.

I think a lot of the time, he tried to micro-manage games. We never really had much depth, and always seemed to play about 7 guys. We were heavily reliant on Benny J making his own shot, and making plays out of nothing. I think without Benny J, we might have been in the same situation that Iowa State is in now. ISU just doen't have that prolific scoring guard right now.

That last UNI team that Mac had was picked to win the Valley (an extremely tough MVC, that got 4 teams to the NCAAs), and had the talent to do so, but lost a lot of stinkers that year to teams we should have beaten.

The guy can't coach. It is sad.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
I would like to say that, I do think Mac is a good basketball coach, and can be successful at ISU. He single handidly brought us back from the dead seemingly, and for that, all of us will be eternally greatful. But with that said, it was easy to get somewhat annoyed at things that he did. I don't know if it is just the UNI homer in me, but I do think that at times, we underachieved.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Who cares What Greg did at UNI!!! We can't go back and change the hiring. If you are going to argue that Greg can't coach, you are a fool and most of the coaching/analyst world disagrees with you....That being said he has not gotten the job done here (Yet) and something is not working. I can't argue that people want a change, and would not be mad if one happend, but all this other crap doesn't matter....

Reactions: BigBake

Cyclonesfan

Feb 1, 2009
Ankeny
i have lost all faith for McD. If anybody saw the last 17.1 seconds of regulation last night should feel the same way. We didnt even take a SHOT!?!?!?!?! we jacked around at the top of the key and then passed the ball untill the time ran out........that was the straw that broke the camals back for me...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
i have lost all faith for McD. If anybody saw the last 17.1 seconds of regulation last night should feel the same way. We didnt even take a SHOT!?!?!?!?! we jacked around at the top of the key and then passed the ball untill the time ran out........that was the straw that broke the camals back for me...

You must have missed the UNI and Northwestern games. Yikes. :eek:

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I'm never buying season tickets again because pollard hired McD to come here...in fact I dont think I'm going to buy season tickets for football because pollard hired chizik. everything is pollards fault!

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm never buying season tickets again because pollard hired McD to come here...in fact I dont think I'm going to buy season tickets for football because pollard hired chizik. everything is pollards fault!

I can't get onboard with that. :no:

Toasted40

Feb 23, 2010

It's really hard to explain.

His first year he beat Iowa at the Dome. That was a huge win for him, and really got the UNI folks excited. That year it was Robbie Sieverding (I know I spelled that wrong), that was a good player for Greg.

The thing is had Robbie not blown out his knee the year before, that team doesn't go 7-24, with him, and he had a forward that led the Valley in rebounding, I believe he was from Hudson, but the name escapes me. The roof fell in on them, and then it was easy to fire Sam Weaver (nice guy).

He found Gruber, Kirkwood which was huge for the program. Schniderman transferred in from Morningside of all places. EC wanted to be closer to home, so he transferred from Bowling Green.

Although he left no guards, I always thought his recruiting is what was most impressive about his time at UNI. He really did a great job getting all of the Iowa kids. Plus he got in up in the Twin Cities, and Wisconsin. He had a real genuine plan that he continued to follow, and Jake still follows.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
Yeah, I think his recruiting has always been really good. Both at UNI and and Iowa State.

David Gruber
Ben Jacobson
Eric Coleman
Grant Stout
Mike Taylor
Wesley Johnson
Craig Brackins
Kwadzo Ahelegbe
Adam Koch
Marquis Gilstrap
Chris Colvin

That is a buch of all MVC/B12 players, some NBA players, conference players of the year, etc..

Those are all really great college basketball players, that Mac either recruited himself, or had a big impact in their recruitment to ISU or UNI.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, I think his recruiting has always been really good. Both at UNI and and Iowa State.

David Gruber
Ben Jacobson
Eric Coleman
Grant Stout
Mike Taylor
Wesley Johnson
Craig Brackins
Kwadzo Ahelegbe
Adam Koch
Marquis Gilstrap
Chris Colvin

That is a buch of all MVC players, some NBA players, conference players of the year, etc..

Those are all really great college basketball players, that Mac either recruited himself, or had a big impact in their recruitment to ISU or UNI.

The problem isnt that. The problem is the list of absolutely horrible players he brought in to go with them at ISU>

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
It's really hard to explain.

His first year he beat Iowa at the Dome. That was a huge win for him, and really got the UNI folks excited. That year it was Robbie Sieverding (I know I spelled that wrong), that was a good player for Greg.

The thing is had Robbie not blown out his knee the year before, that team doesn't go 7-24, with him, and he had a forward that led the Valley in rebounding, I believe he was from Hudson, but the name escapes me. The roof fell in on them, and then it was easy to fire Sam Weaver (nice guy).

He found Gruber, Kirkwood which was huge for the program. Schniderman transferred in from Morningside of all places. EC wanted to be closer to home, so he transferred from Bowling Green.

Although he left no guards, I always thought his recruiting is what was most impressive about his time at UNI. He really did a great job getting all of the Iowa kids. Plus he got in up in the Twin Cities, and Wisconsin. He had a real genuine plan that he continued to follow, and Jake still follows.

Sam Weaver was going to be out that year no matter what. It was Rick Hartzell's first full year as AD and with his basketball pedigree, he was going to bring in his own guy. McDermott was the guy of those they interviewed that I thought had the least chance of getting the job and much to my surprise he got it and then built the program.

Mac had the terrible habit of not letting his players make plays in big time situations. Everything was micro-managed as 06 said and it probably cost us both the Wisconsin and Georgetown games in the tournament. The Wisconsin loss really hurt as Bucknell beat Kansas in the nightcap and we lost a chance at the Sweet 16.

Mac got David Gruber because nobody wanted him and Mac had to have bodies. Nobody knew that Gruber was tough as nails and would work his tail off to get better. Schneiderman ends up here because Morningside dropped to NAIA. He gets Ben Jacobson (the player) because Creighton chose Nate Funk instead. Brooks McKowen was TOUGH and ends up at UNI because he had no other DI offers.

Mac caught lighting in a bottle at UNI. He is a great X and O's guy who got lucky in recruiting and used a 'gimmick system' to win a bunch of games and get a big payday. More power to him, but show me a big game that he has won...

Reactions: coachdags