Meanwhile, in Husker MBB

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
ISU is not alone in change - Top NU recruiter Spinelli left for a lesser position at MVC Wichita State - possibly a better launching pad for a future headcoaching position. Then Maric declares for the draft - likely to return? Other than the game in Ames, does he look ready? In order to hold on to current players and recruits, Collier looks to Tim Thomas, an assistant at The Patterson School and formerly at Laurinburg Institute. This probably also gives him connections for future prospects. No confirmation on the Thomas hire.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nice info. At this point if I was a recruit, I'd rather play for Wichita State than NU, that could partly be because I hate NU....

RTBIO

Apr 11, 2006
Western shore
Sorry, but whether you are talking historically or just today, WSU basketball is a step up from NU. You need to put your Big 12 bias aside and look at where they are and where they've been. NU is 0-for-the-history-of-time in the NCAA. WSU has produced several great teams and players.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Creighton just picked up a huge recruit from Missouri and ex coach Quinn Snyder - Ty Morrison - he has a real power forward body, first one Creighton has had in a few years. Wonder if we were recruiting him. We know his greades were okay by going to Creighton.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
[quote1146699329=RTBIO]
Sorry, but whether you are talking historically or just today, WSU basketball is a step up from NU. You need to put your Big 12 bias aside and look at where they are and where they've been. NU is 0-for-the-history-of-time in the NCAA. WSU has produced several great teams and players.
[/quote1146699329]
It would be interesting to see his salary at WSU vs. Nebraska. Sure WSU is a better program, but I bet he took a paycut to go to WSU. It makes you wonder if he was "quietly" sent packing because he & Collier didn't see eye-to-eye.

As far as WSU being a better platform to get a job, I seriously doubt that unless Turgeon moves on & he tags along. He could be the best recruiter in the country, but he won't have access to the same level of recruits at a MVC school as he would at a Big 12 school.

Apr 10, 2006
[quote1146700131=Wesley]
We know his greades were okay by going to Creighton.
[/quote1146700131]
That is the school famous for graduating beniot benjimin who SIGNED HIS NBA CONTRACT WITH AN X. seriously he was completely illiterate, and he wasnt the only one. sometimes private schools have small advantages like that, less open to oversight,

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com
I think its almost easier to get noticed in the MVC than it would be to getnoticed in the big 12. If you're a good coach in a mediocre program (McD) and make it a good team then you're bound to get some national attention. I think that it was a good move to WS. the MVC is going to evolve into a more talented conference as the years go on, and its all because of the level of coaching. Jacobsen will be the next one to leave for a bigger school, if the proper job opens up in the next 4-5 years.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
[quote1146712225=clone33]
I think its almost easier to get noticed in the MVC than it would be to getnoticed in the big 12. If you're a good coach in a mediocre program (McD) and make it a good team then you're bound to get some national attention. [/quote1146712225]
What you say is true of a head coach like McD, Bruce Weber, Dana Altman & Turgeon. If they consistently make the NCAA Tourney at a mid-major conference then they will get the opportunity to move up to a major conference. However, we are talking about an assistant at a Big 12 school moving to be an assistant at an MVC school.

Mid-major conferences like the MAC, MVC, WAC, etc have cyclical ups & downs just like the Big 12, Big 10, SEC, etc. Last year the MVC was in an up year, it might hold true for a couple years- but it won't last. No matter how you cut it the money differences are just too big.

Look at McD. He had a ton of success at UNI and wasn't making much over $200k. He comes to ISU and make $650k. Assistant salaries also differ quite a bit. I'd have to see solid evidence that going from NU to WSU was a promotion for this coach.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
It's possible it could be a better situation for him. If his immediate goal is to become a head coach at a mid or low major those schools might be more willing to look at a winning assistant at an MVC school than a perenniel loser in the Big 12. I don't know if this is the case or not but it seems plausible.

Plus, if he's going to be looking for a job anyway as soon as Collier is fired he might jump to a more stable environment.