Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Citizens of Ames can sleep well tonight knowing that VEISHEA's name is destroyed!

Are they taking submissions for the name of the new week-long celebration? My suggestion is naming it RIOT (Restfulness In Our Town) :jimlad:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The actions that elevated the problem to crisis level were the riot-like mobs in which a few people tipped over light poles and cars while others cheered. How does changing the name address this? These actions could happen after a great win over Kansas in BB or Oklahoma in FB. Frankly, it is more common for university towns to experience these things after sporting events.

Hopefully, there is more to the recommendations than this. For instance, does there need to be more use of enhanced video security devices? Do we need to be more pro-active, such as asking former athletes and student leaders to be present to intervene (during alt-VEISHEA and after athletic events)? I think Jeff Woody and a few of his friends could have stepped in and kept cars from being tipped. Do the police need to do a better job of identifying those who do criminal acts? It is amazing to me that so few arrests were made with the volume of video and photo evidence available.

I don't know that I have the answers, but surely there is more to be recommended than just changing the name. The risk of riot-like actions is there no matter what you call it, as well as at plenty of other times also.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
The actions that elevated the problem to crisis level were the riot-like mobs in which a few people tipped over light poles and cars while others cheered. How does changing the name address this? These actions could happen after a great win over Kansas in BB or Oklahoma in FB. Frankly, it is more common for university towns to experience these things after sporting events.

Hopefully, there is more to the recommendations than this. For instance, does there need to be more use of enhanced video security devices? Do we need to be more pro-active, such as asking former athletes and student leaders to be present to intervene (during alt-VEISHEA and after athletic events)? I think Jeff Woody and a few of his friends could have stepped in and kept cars from being tipped. Do the police need to do a better job of identifying those who do criminal acts? It is amazing to me that so few arrests were made with the volume of video and photo evidence available.

I don't know that I have the answers, but surely there is more to be recommended than just changing the name. The risk of riot-like actions is there no matter what you call it, as well as at plenty of other times also.
I can see it now...

"Yeah, we got a code 3151 at 1412 Welch Ave... Common house party that could evolve into riots... Better send in Jeff Woody."

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I understand wanting to change the name. Re-branding is a standard public relations move. The name is identified with riots, so you change the name. It's not a giant step, and obviously, there will be additional changes, but something as simple as a new name is the first step in altering how people see the event. It's the whole idea of throwing out the old and bringing in the new.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I believe the city is already moving ahead with placing surveillance cameras in campustown (where the footage would only be used in case of an incident and is only stored for a limited amount of time)