Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Seems like we've done "with changes" before.
I prefer abolishing completely. It's too tainted by this point.

That would be a shame, IMO. There is way to much to VEISHEA to just completely abolish it based off a riot. Do away with nighttime activities, concentrate the "party" to the Iowa State Center parking lot in a controlled environment, but don't punish all the good things that come with VEISHEA.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
That would be a shame, IMO. There is way to much to VEISHEA to just completely abolish it based off a riot. Do away with nighttime activities, concentrate the "party" to the Iowa State Center parking lot in a controlled environment, but don't punish all the good things that come with VEISHEA.

Yup.

THe "abolish it now" mentality does not resonate with me. We already have ISU baseball to complain about and speculate when it's coming back. Don't need VEISHEA added to that list.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yup.

THe "abolish it now" mentality does not resonate with me. We already have ISU baseball to complain about and speculate when it's coming back. Don't need VEISHEA added to that list.

New Veishea activity: ISU Baseball tournament with Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd hate to see 100 years of traditional end because of a few jerks.

Maybe they just need to quit pretending VEISHEA doesn't involve drinking. Have a kegger on Central Campus. Have old car for students to tip over. People that age are non-conformists. If the university is encouraging them to riot, they'll rebel by staying in and studying :jimlad:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Two keys to avoiding future veishea riots:

1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

Problem solved.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

Problem solved.

The problem with the bolded statement is that there are non-students who live in the areas surrounding these house parties. Old people, people with kids, etc. - they don't need to be kept up to 3:30 a.m. by some drunk students. If they chose to live near Campustown, that's one thing, but I've seen house parties in really, really residential areas.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The problem with the bolded statement is that there are non-students who live in the areas surrounding these house parties. Old people, people with kids, etc. - they don't need to be kept up to 3:30 a.m. by some drunk students. If they chose to live near Campustown, that's one thing, but I've seen house parties in really, really residential areas.

I would imagine the parties closest to campustown are the biggest problems when they get broken up, since those would be the people that end up converging with the Welch Ave. crowd.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would imagine the parties closest to campustown are the biggest problems when they get broken up, since those would be the people that end up converging with the Welch Ave. crowd.

I would assume so, as well, but wasn't one of the parties in this last round on something like State St.? That's four or five streets away from Campustown, isn't it?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I don't think it'll completely go away either, although like many others I kinda think it should.

And unfortunately, it's not just a handful of people. These are large mobs each time it happens. And worse yet, it's a campus and community wide mentality. The jokes are everyone leading up to VEISHEA each year. Yes - they're jokes. But still there's a certain aura and even expectation that goes with the event. Worse yet - there's a morbid pride by far too many in the whole riot culture around VEISHEA

The only way I can think that it'll work going forward is to almost kill off all the true student events and make the week more normal. Meaning concerts, shows and many other on campus events. Outside the parade, I'm not sure what that leaves you with. And of course, this is really meant to be a student event, so that really shuts down the point of the whole thing. Which leads me back to canceling it.

Of course, businesses in Ames make a nice chunk of change that week - which is why I think it won't really go away. Probably the best thing is some sort of special set of city ordinances to shut bars and alcohol sales down earlier during VEISHEA week. I have zero idea if that's even possible. And again, gripe as the might about the damages - the Ames business community as a whole and the local bar merchants would flip a lid over that idea.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'd hate to see 100 years of traditional end because of a few jerks.

Maybe they just need to quit pretending VEISHEA doesn't involve drinking. Have a kegger on Central Campus. Have old car for students to tip over. People that age are non-conformists. If the university is encouraging them to riot, they'll rebel by staying in and studying :jimlad:

I actually think this would be a good idea...have a beer garden with the concerts etc. in the Iowa State Center Parking lot like they do when RAGBRAI rolled through 5 or so years ago. Enforce the hell out of it, and control the environment in which the students drink.

You will never make VEISHEA dry, its nearly impossible. But you can control the environment in which most of the students drink.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Bump. Was anything ever announced or are they secretly giving their recommendation to Leath and then Leath will announce the fate of VEISHEA?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

Problem solved.

This exactly. I thought it was a really knee jerk reaction to do this as it punished those that had nothing to do with what happened earlier that week. The events during the day on Saturday should be kept, it's a great showcase for the campus. I can't imagine someone who graduated from ISU somehow being in favor of completely doing away with the whole event, that seems crazy to me.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Problem solved.

Totally disagree on that point. House parties being allowed to get too large is a direct cause of most of the problems of the last two VEISHEA riots. I think that during VEISHEA week they should be extra harsh about house parties and break them up as soon as possible, before they get big. Break them up before you have hundreds of drunk people and you'd prevent a lot of the issues.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I see the Task Force wants to continue a celebration but not call it VEISHEA. BOOM Problem solved! Can't have VEISHEA problems if it's not called VEISHEA.

I give them credit for wanting to keep the event but I don't see how changing the name accomplishes anything. It just makes the Task Force look foolish.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I see the Task Force wants to continue a celebration but not call it VEISHEA. BOOM Problem solved! Can't have VEISHEA problems if it's not called VEISHEA.

I give them credit for wanting to keep the event but I don't see how changing the name accomplishes anything. It just makes the Task Force look foolish.

What it accomplishes is cutting down on the local news' yearly go-to story about "The VEISHEA Problem". Not that another riot wouldn't make the news, but it at least alters the narrative a little bit.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

If the term VEISHEA caused riots they should call it AEHSIEV. It would cause the exact opposite of riots right??? I envision lots of hugging and handholding or a giant orgy.

Problem solved.