Men's BB Team - this year and next

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I agree with the first three but I would say 9-7 has us in the middle of the bubble and 10-6 would be the top of the bubble and most likely in. I don't think we will get in for sure with a 10-6 conference record.

We don't have any bad losses (that will hurt us) in non-conf. To go 10-6 we will have to not have any bad losses in conf. That's my reasoning for saying we are in for sure with 10-6. We'd be 21-10 going into the Big 12 tourney with (probably) no bad losses. (by bad losses I mean losses to non-tourney teams). That absolutely should get us in.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We don't have any bad losses (that will hurt us) in non-conf. To go 10-6 we will have to not have any bad losses in conf. That's my reasoning for saying we are in for sure with 10-6. We'd be 21-10 going into the Big 12 tourney with (probably) no bad losses. (by bad losses I mean losses to non-tourney teams). That absolutely should get us in.

I agree that we don't have any bad losses but we don't really have any good wins either. I think 10-6 will most likely get us in but I don't think its a given. We would probably have to win one in the Big XII tournament to be a lock.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I agree that we don't have any bad losses but we don't really have any good wins either. I think 10-6 will most likely get us in but I don't think its a given. We would probably have to win one in the Big XII tournament to be a lock.

If we get to 10 wins in the big 12, we will have good wins. That'll mean (probably) 4 road wins plus a top-25 win at home or a top 5 (kansas) win at home and 3 road wins. Plus, looking at our schedule we'll probably have won 5 of the last 6 if that happens.

I could be wrong, but if we go 10-6 in conference and don't make the tournament I will be very ******.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Considering our team hasn't been close to a 9-7 or 10-6 record in several years, we sure seem to be experts on what that means for our tourney chances :)

It all depends on who we beat. If we go 8-8 but beat KU at home and Mizz and KSU and Baylor on the road, we may get in - it just depends.

Dec 28, 2009
Ames, IA
I agree with the first three but I would say 9-7 has us in the middle of the bubble and 10-6 would be the top of the bubble and most likely in. I don't think we will get in for sure with a 10-6 conference record.[/QUOTE]
Hence why he said "most likely". It would be hard not to get in with 10 wins in the Big 12.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think 10 conference wins (including tourney) will definitely get us in. That would mean 9-7 with a first round win or an 8-8 record with an upset of a top 4 big 12 team.

Also, if you look back at the previous records, a 9-7 team typically finishes no lower than 6th place (and in some years higher). The big12 should get at least 6 in this year so that would put us in good standing. An 8-8 team has never finished lower than 7th in the big 12. In that position we would likely have a virtual play in game for the first round of the big 12 tournament.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
9-7 would almost have to put us in the top 6 in the league and there is no way that less than 6 teams from the BIG XII are dancing this year. Everyone is going to argue that our non-conf is going to allow some fudging down of our status, but at 9-7 I can't see us having an rpi ranking worse than 40. I know the rpi isn't the end all be all, but 37-38 seems to be the majic number for not fudging off the bubble. And those are extreme cases. ISU's non-conf wasn't that bad. Only one quality win, but no bad losses eieth and 9-7 we're going to have plenty of wins that will mean something. Plus Iowa could pull our schedule out of the penalty area if they could get off the cupcake list. Which would give very little to complain about our non-conf schedule.

10 and 6 puts us at 5th or 4th and there is absolutely no way we don't go dancing in that case.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
The way I see it:
6-10 or worse: Staying home.
7-9 : NIT for sure
8-8 : Bottom side of the bubble
9-7 : top side of the bubble, most likely in
10-6 or better: in for sure.

I think this is about right, depending on our loses and wins.

The Committee has befuddled me in the past though. I think K-State was excluded one year with a 10-6 Big 12 record, but they conference definitely wasn't as strong that year and I don't know who they played out-of-conference.

With a 10 - 6 record this year, I think we're looking at a 8,9, 10 or 11 seed. You just never know with the Committee...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think this is about right, depending on our loses and wins.

The Committee has befuddled me in the past though. I think K-State was excluded one year with a 10-6 Big 12 record, but they conference definitely wasn't as strong that year and I don't know who they played out-of-conference.

With a 10 - 6 record this year, I think we're looking at a 8,9, 10 or 11 seed. You just never know with the Committee...

A 10-6 record very well could get us a first round bye in the big12 tournament. With Texas and Kansas dominating the league each team will probably get 3 losses right there. The rest of the teams are going to be fighting for those last two spots and I don't think there are many teams that will go 10-3 against the rest of the league, including ISU. The home courts in this league are just too tough to consistently win on the road.

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
If they go 8-8 with quality wins against Kansas and KSU who are top ten that prob gets you in the tourney.... First they need to get to 8 wins to talk about it...

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
The only way we get in at 8-8 is with a couple of huge upsets (and at least one big road win upset). 9-7 and a win in the 1st round of the Big 12 Tournament will most likely be what is needed from our team to get in the NCAA Tournament. 10-6 would be a lock.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The only way we get in at 8-8 is with a couple of huge upsets (and at least one big road win upset). 9-7 and a win in the 1st round of the Big 12 Tournament will most likely be what is needed from our team to get in the NCAA Tournament. 10-6 would be a lock.

That sounds about right. I think 8-8 would be a long shot depending on how things shake out, but 9-7 or 10-6 should get us in if we have a couple quality wins in there.