Mens Bball recruits get C+ grade from ESPN

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The Cyclones added two juco transfers and two freshmen to this class, which has excellent perimeter size and skill. Versatile 6-6 forward Marquis Gilstrap (Covington, Ga./Palm Beach CC/Gulf Coast CC) will come in with only one year of eligibility because he lost a year after suffering a broken leg. He will be counted upon for immediate production at both wing positions and possibly the power forward for matchup purposes. He can shoot the 3 and create his own shot off the bounce. Power forward LaRon Dendy (Greenville, S.C./New Hope Christian/Indian Hills CC) is a long athletic post who runs the floor and can finish in the lane. His size, to go along with Gilstrap and returning standout Craig Brackins, will be key. Coach Greg McDermott also hit Chicago for Chris Colvin (Chicago/Whitney Young). The 6-2 guard worked his way into our final ESPNU 100. He is strong and physical, and gets to the rim at will. The latest addition for the Cyclones is 6-5 SG Antwon Oliver (Racine, Wis./Horlick), a good athlete with range to the arc and can slash to the rim. Oliver also has the size to play both wing positions. The coaching staff is excited about his upside.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4174746

Last edited:

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
I have higher hopes for 2009-10 due to this class and CB's return. However, according to the article, you could argue that we tied for the worst recruiting class in the confernece, so nothing to get too excited about. Losing 1/2 of this class in 2 years is also a big negative.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
No way is our recruiting class worse than Nebraska's or on par with TT, Colorado

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
We are same level as Colorado and Tech? ehhh not sure about that. Nebraska is higher ? I don't know about that either. Recruiting class means nothing until we actually see these kids play anyhow...

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I wonder if it would be ranked higher if Gilstrap had more than one year of eligibility.

What will it be rated when we pick up Vander Blue?:wink:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
It really doesn't make much sense.

According to ESPN we have Gilstrap (rated 96) and Colvin (who is top 100). I also believe that they had Dendy ranked high out of high school. So how does that equal a C+? Did Oliver hurt us?

Doesn't really matter though. ESPN has been known as the worst recruiting service out there.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It really doesn't make much sense.

According to ESPN we have Gilstrap (rated 96) and Colvin (who is top 100). I also believe that they had Dendy ranked high out of high school. So how does that equal a C+? Did Oliver hurt us?

Doesn't really matter though. ESPN has been known as the worst recruiting service out there.

agree. I don't know if ESPN even tries to compete with Scout or Rivals, but they sure seem like the kid that shows up to the science fair with an entry that he obviously cobbled together on the busride to school.

Reactions: Stormin

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
agree. I don't know if ESPN even tries to compete with Scout or Rivals, but they sure seem like the kid that shows up to the science fair with an entry that he obviously cobbled together on the busride to school.

I agree that the ratings don't make sense.

Side note regarding science fairs...

I just finished a book by this guy:

michiokaku.JPG

Check out his science fair entry:

Went to the National Science Fair in high school with a home-made atom smasher built in his parents' garage.

Reactions: CompCy

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Recruiting class ratings are nice (or negative) for ego purposes; however, the real story is the impact the class will make on next year's team. I think we have to measure our class by impact. To do so, we also basically have to inclue LA and SC as they are like new recruits, but with a year in the system under their belts.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about it. Floyd's last recruiting class back in '97 that included Fizer was rated by ESPN as being the best in the country, and only Fizer and Rancik ended up sticking around around and being productive.

rburgess

Feb 8, 2007
Last I looked, they hadn't seen Oliver or Dendy. Thus, they rated them both as a 40. I'm thinking that dragged down the average. As Iowa State fans, we should be used to getting rated near the bottom of the conference, unfortunately. However, that is what you get when you don't succeed; critics barely look at you. This will change when our success level goes up (knock on wood).

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I thought I heard somewhere Gilstrap can apply for another year of eligibility once he is enrolled and on campus at ISU?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Honestly, the rankings don't surprise me.

This is a class mainley centered around next year. Dendy and Oliver are wildcards at this point, and no guard is ever a sure thing in Mac's system so it's wait and see with Colvin.

Apr 30, 2009
seems about right oliver wasnt on anyones recruiting websites. dendy is only being hyped up by you guys (and i hope he is a stud). colvin and gilstrap sound like they are for real. so C+ sounds right.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
The real troubling thing in this league is the recruiting Baylor, KSU and OSU are doing. We need at least 2 of those teams down imo. If you add these 3 programs to the list of of 'elite' recruiting programs in this conference like UT, KU & OU it could begin to be terribly difficult for ISU to gain any ground. Basically if those six schools continue to out recruit us we are in serious trouble no matter what.