Miami Car Rental

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I’m flying into Miami in December and doing a road trip through the Keys. Anybody have any recommendations on car rentals?
Can’t remember the last time I rented a car so I don’t even know what a good rate is.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
One of our service techs recently flew to a job site. When he got to the airport, Enterprise didn't have any of the mid-size cars that we rented available. He had a choice of a mini-van or a Maserati for the price of a mid-size car. I'll let you guess which one he chose.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
One of our service techs recently flew to a job site. When he got to the airport, Enterprise didn't have any of the mid-size cars that we rented available. He had a choice of a mini-van or a Maserati for the price of a mid-size car. I'll let you guess which one he chose.

I'm sure the mini-van offered nice space to pick up a group of those beach babes.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm sure the mini-van offered nice space to pick up a group of those beach babes.

Exactly what I was going to say.

And the mini van makes you look less pretentious, add in a little dog and you'd be swimming in hot women.

Reactions: SCNCY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I’ve been using Turo in bigger cities lately and have had good experiences and really fun vehicles.
Recently someone rented a Tesla through Turo in Vegas, was street racing and police used a spike strip to stop him

Last edited:

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
I’ve been using Turo in bigger cities lately and have had good experiences and really fun vehicles.
I've used Turo a couple of times with good success. Both times I declined their insurance, and just relied on my auto insurance. However, a friend's brother-in-law said the insurance piece is a gray area, and he wasn't sure if a regular auto insurance plan would cover something like Turo. Any idea? It's so much cheaper than renting a car so I would love to continue to use it.

Reactions: khardbored

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I rent in that area all the time. If you are a Costco member definitely try them first.

If you don’t have Costco, try budget, Alamo, Avis or Hertz.

Avoid the off airport obscure companies that offer rentals for ridiculous rates like $9 a day.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've used Turo a couple of times with good success. Both times I declined their insurance, and just relied on my auto insurance. However, a friend's brother-in-law said the insurance piece is a gray area, and he wasn't sure if a regular auto insurance plan would cover something like Turo. Any idea? It's so much cheaper than renting a car so I would love to continue to use it.

I have always declined the insurance. I did a little online “my own research” and I think the consensus was it’s okay. Never bothered to ask my actual insurance company because as with everything that usually ruins a good thing.

Reactions: rpcyclone2013

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I have always declined the insurance. I did a little online “my own research” and I think the consensus was it’s okay. Never bothered to ask my actual insurance company because as with everything that usually ruins a good thing.
Probably will be ok. Of course the one and only time I've been in a wreck that totaled a car was when I had a rental in Ames last month. Fortunately the other driver was at fault (probably was a Hawkeye fan), so I think I will be relatively ok since I declined the car rental insurance and was relying on my credit card insurance.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Good Luck! Miami is one of my worst airports to fly in an out of. The rental places are the worst to get to. I'm going to Orlando in December and would like to catch a Dolphin game. Thinking of driving to Miami Gardens and then flying out of Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami just to avoid the aiport.

Get a convertible!! We got one for no extra cost over a mid size sedan. Flew into Key West and drove to Key Largo. Mustang convertible was great!!

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I've used Sixt the last few times I've rented. For a rate similar to the ragged out Impalas and Maximas I used to get with Enterprise I've had a BMW X5 and a Mercedes C300. Much shorter line at their counter the first time, skipped the counter completely the second time.

Reactions: cyclonedave25