Michigan

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I had wondered if they were in trouble just for scouting opponents in general, or just for video recording. Seems like you're not even allowed to travel to an opponent's stadium for the purpose of scouting:
The first NCAA rule in question is scouting in opposing stadiums, which has been in place since 1994.
They in deep do-do. (Or at least should be)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I had wondered if they were in trouble just for scouting opponents in general, or just for video recording. Seems like you're not even allowed to travel to an opponent's stadium for the purpose of scouting:

They in deep do-do. (Or at least should be)

This is the key. The NCAA will move slow enough that Michigan won’t be affected until they have a down season after Harbaugh leaves. Then they’ll suddenly take a self imposed post season ban.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Will this be the final push to bring in radio comms like in NFL?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Michigan fans are puckering hard right now. One glance at Steve Deaces MichiganPodcast Twitter feed and it's all spin city.
Yeah Michigan fans are in no way puckering right now. This is most likely not going anywhere until after the season. There also isn’t even a designated punishment for this kind of thing. Gonna be a slap on the wrist at best. Only possible concern is this is the final straw for Harbaugh and he takes an NFL job.

Some Walmart wolverines might be panicking but they don’t count.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Yeah Michigan fans are in no way puckering right now. This is most likely not going anywhere until after the season. There also isn’t even a designated punishment for this kind of thing. Gonna be a slap on the wrist at best. Only possible concern is this is the final straw for Harbaugh and he takes an NFL job.

Some Walmart wolverines might be panicking but they don’t count.
I'm assuming you are more well-informed than any of us, but this feels more like a "lack of institutional control" type situation. Either the staffer went rogue or he did it under instruction of Harbaugh. At some point, it has to progress to further punishment to institutions rather than just to the coaches. Otherwise it just enables this type of behavior. The coach either leaves on his own or gets fired for cause. The university doesn't face any consequences then, and are free to repeat.

I get the whole not wanting to punish the athletes, but with the transfer rules the way the are, a bowl ban, a coach leaving, and scholarship reduction wouldn't hurt any player unless they literally can only play at Michigan.

On the other hand, the NCAA has no real power. And any show of it would get challenged legally. So it's probably stupid of me to expect anything other than a wrist slap.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I'm assuming you are more well-informed than any of us, but this feels more like a "lack of institutional control" type situation. Either the staffer went rogue or he did it under instruction of Harbaugh. At some point, it has to progress to further punishment to institutions rather than just to the coaches. Otherwise it just enables this type of behavior. The coach either leaves on his own or gets fired for cause. The university doesn't face any consequences then, and are free to repeat.

I get the whole not wanting to punish the athletes, but with the transfer rules the way the are, a bowl ban, a coach leaving, and scholarship reduction wouldn't hurt any player unless they literally can only play at Michigan.

On the other hand, the NCAA has no real power. And any show of it would get challenged legally. So it's probably stupid of me to expect anything other than a wrist slap.
So here’s the current issue, right now there is zero proof that anyone in the program knew about this. Just about everyone is painting this guy as a rogue element that has been a Michigan super fan for years. He didn’t even get hired in any way until 2022. The other thing is that there is zero punishment in the NCAA bylaws for this as well as zero precedent. No way they go all out against Michigan for this without Michigan fighting back extremely hard which is going to extend this well past the season. Finally even by NCAA guidelines, as in their own printed rules, the advantage gained by this if proven is minimal.

Maybe a coach gets suspended for a game or Michigan gets some meaningless penalty but no one connected to the school believes this is anything other than an annoyance.

Reactions: cyfanatic

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Michigan fans are puckering hard right now. One glance at Steve Deaces MichiganPodcast Twitter feed and it's all spin city.

Please let’s not invoke the name of that tool.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
So here’s the current issue, right now there is zero proof that anyone in the program knew about this. Just about everyone is painting this guy as a rogue element that has been a Michigan super fan for years. He didn’t even get hired in any way until 2022. The other thing is that there is zero punishment in the NCAA bylaws for this as well as zero precedent. No way they go all out against Michigan for this without Michigan fighting back extremely hard which is going to extend this well past the season. Finally even by NCAA guidelines, as in their own printed rules, the advantage gained by this if proven is minimal.

Maybe a coach gets suspended for a game or Michigan gets some meaningless penalty but no one connected to the school believes this is anything other than an annoyance.
He may have not been hired till 2022 but wasn’t he with the program since like 2015 as a volunteer of some kind?

Also who was funding this guy? Tickets, travel, etc. This adds up.

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
How about be better at changing up your signals as a coaching staff. Coaching my kids in little league, I would change up the signs because I knew the other teams would be trying to steal signs. And that's when kids are 10-12 years old. I did the same thing coaching football.

Why do you think ISU and other schools have wristbands with play calls listed on them? Change up the call numbers/signals related to the plays each game. Formations? Mix 'em up! If you aren't predictable (and obvious), you may have a better job of throwing off the other team's opposition.

Baseball. Cap is indicator. 1st sign after indicator is the call. Belt = bunt. Slide down arm = steal. How many coaches do the same thing over and over?

Granted, we can't all be the Astros. Give me a live video feed, a trash can, a bass drum, or a duck call and my guys will be hitting fastball dingers and laying off the junk all day!