Midlands Tourney - Sunday

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
The heavy hitters that ISU defeated last year?

Iowa and ISU are easily the top two teams in the nation, with Minnesota very close behind. PSU is pretty good this year too, but they're outside looking in.

With my bias looking at this, I agree. I think the top three are too close to call though, and that includes Minn. PSU is looking in, but from a distance.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Exactly, curt. Iowa State would have dominated the Midlands if Iowa wasn't there.
Yes, Perry and a few others would have probably done just as well, but throw the Gopher boys in there, (and the rest of the country), and it's a who new ballgame for the majority of the Iowa guys that placed. Same is true for us, of course.
I'd like to see the Cyclones No.1, but I'm still putting them behind the sitting national champs. Next year, it's a different story.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
With my bias looking at this, I agree. I think the top three are too close to call though, and that includes Minn. PSU is looking in, but from a distance.

I haven't had a chance to watch Minnesota, so I'm taking your word for it. It just seems with the way ISU was able to beat them, they may have a weaker heavier class (at least I think they wrestled in order didn't they?)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Iowa proved yesterday that they are the team to beat. Personally, barring injury, I think they will run away with the title this year. ISU, Minn, PSU, and OK St. fight for the rest.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Minnesota's most glaring weakness is only at HWT. The reason I believe they will be favored when in the NCAAs is that they have a solid overall tourney team that will be ready at the end of the season. Not a Gopher fan, just a realist.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think that will be the Gophers strength. It will be a very interesting three way race IMO. While Iowa is a good dual team, I think they will not do as well the Gophs or ISU the NCAA tourney format.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
check out individual rankings here:
InterMat: Wrestling, from every angle
125 and 133 is a wash between the 2 schools, minny is ranked higher at 141 but leclere has been wrestling like a stud, same for metcalf at 149, 157 clearly belongs to minny, and 165 is clearly iowa. at 174 it would appear that minny has the advantage, but borschel has been dominant as of late as well. 184 is minnys, and 197 is a toss up, and hwt is iowas. that gives 2 "sure wins" for minny, 2 "sure wins" for iowa, a couple that could go either way, and 3 that would seemingly favor minny but i think iowa would come out on top in. these rankings were also done about 2 weeks ago, and i would expect that these would have changed a lot since the outcomes of the midlands...

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
That would be a good trifecta bet: Place, in order, the top three teams for wrestling nationals. Minny and Hawks are pretty strong in the lower half of weights. Big exception is that the hawks are great at obtaining the bonus points in matches.

It may become a little clearer or fuzzier after the national duals coming up.

Either way, it should be a great nationals.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Right now, gun to my head, and based on experience, and only looking at tournament rankings, I would have:

1. Minnesota
2. Iowa
3. ISU
4. PSU

Then Okie State, Michigan in the mix

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Right now, gun to my head, and based on experience, and only looking at tournament rankings, I would have:

1. Minnesota
2. Iowa
3. ISU
4. PSU

I'd put Iowa ahead of MN, with ISU 3rd.
I think it's way to early to pick a winner for the national championship, while the Midlands is a good tournament, it does not include all the teams.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

1. Minnesota
2. Iowa
3. ISU
4. PSU

I would agree with the top 3 order out and ahead of everybody else.

4. Michigan
5. Penn St.
6. OSU
7. Central Michigan
8. Northwestern

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I may have missed this, but anyone have a link to the results of this tournament?