Midlands Tourney - Sunday

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Just got done watching the recording after the BB game. Great win by Varner. Other than that, Iowa looks real good. A few observations:
1. Perry, as much as I don't like him, he's just a freak on top.
2. The traders from Virginia Tech are... good. Without them, Iowa is average.
3. Where the hell is the Big 12?
4. Z is too small.

We're going to need some major improvements to compete with Iowa for the the NCAAs.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Those kids went to VT to wrestle for Tom Brands. They didnt go for the VT tradition, because it doesnt exist. And when they went there, all of the parents and Tom Brands have said that the VT brass said that in the event Brands left VT, they would allow those kids to follow him, without holding it up or getting in the way.

They lied, and cost those kids a year of eligibility, breaking their promise to them.

Each of those kids is wrestling the way Brands' wrestled; attacking style. They, along with Perry, who was one of two Iowa wrestlers to buy into Brands' style last year, are the heart and soul of the program now. Metcalf is an extension of Brands on the mat.

To call them 'traitors' is to either ignore the circumstances, or be uninformed of the circumstances to which they came to Virginia Tech. It was to wrestle for Tom Brands.

It's no different than kids coming to Iowa State to wrestle for Cael. If Cael left, you would probably see some kids follow him wherever he went.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
And when they went there, all of the parents and Tom Brands have said that the VT brass said that in the event Brands left VT, they would allow those kids to follow him, without holding it up or getting in the way.

I'm sure that's what they said. What the hell else would they say to get out of their commitments. And I guarantee if Cael left ISU, he'd encourage his recruits to honor their commitments.

But, I was being facetious when I called them "traders" in the first place. I don't like Brands but I do like that Iowa State and Iowa are dominating the wresting scene again.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Those kids went to VT to wrestle for Tom Brands. They didnt go for the VT tradition, because it doesnt exist. And when they went there, all of the parents and Tom Brands have said that the VT brass said that in the event Brands left VT, they would allow those kids to follow him, without holding it up or getting in the way.

They lied, and cost those kids a year of eligibility, breaking their promise to them.

Do you have any proof of that "promise", or are you just slandering the VT brass??? Or perhaps just presenting one side of the story???

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Do you have any proof of that "promise", or are you just slandering the VT brass??? Or perhaps just presenting one side of the story???

16 individuals vs a couple of AD's from VT. 16 exact accounts, vs the couple of AD's from VT.

It doesn't really matter. It all get settled on the mat in the end. I love that about wrestling.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
That's he said-she said. That's not proof.

How interesting that it doesn't really matter to you whether the statements you make about the VT admins is true or not...

Come on, we all know that Jon is a EIU Squawk homer and if it benefits EIU or his website, that is what matters.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
16 individuals vs a couple of AD's from VT. 16 exact accounts, vs the couple of AD's from VT.

It doesn't really matter. It all get settled on the mat in the end. I love that about wrestling.

16 exact accounts tells me that they got together and rehearsed their response to be the most favorable for what they wanted the outcome to be. People are different - situations are different. You don't get 16 exact accounts without some meddling going on.

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
16 exact accounts tells me that they got together and rehearsed their response to be the most favorable for what they wanted the outcome to be. People are different - situations are different. You don't get 16 exact accounts without some meddling going on.

Exactly!!! Glad someone finally noticed.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006

Each of those kids is wrestling the way Brands' wrestled; attacking style. They, along with Perry, who was one of two Iowa wrestlers to buy into Brands' style last year, are the heart and soul of the program now. Metcalf is an extension of Brands on the mat.

To call them 'traitors' is to either ignore the circumstances, or be uninformed of the circumstances to which they came to Virginia Tech. It was to wrestle for Tom Brands.

It's no different than kids coming to Iowa State to wrestle for Cael. If Cael left, you would probably see some kids follow him wherever he went.

Save the BS lecture. That's the story on the side of the parents and kids, but there was nothing to back it up and that's why they had to sit for a year. Brands screwed VT and the kids were traitors to the uni that gave them a free ride and got NOTHING in return. To say anything different is to turn your black and gold glasses away from the true circumstances. Period. Your homer undies are showing and you have no objectivity in the situation.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006

And yet they lost their court case.... guess they should have gotten it in writing, or at least had it witnessed by someone not directly trying to back out on VT.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I can get 16 people together and have them agree to the exact same story, its not that hard.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
And yet they lost their court case.... guess they should have gotten it in writing, or at least had it witnessed by someone not directly trying to back out on VT.

Yup, it's unfortunate that they didn't.

I don't think it really matters if a few ISU fans on a message board believe what happened. The fact is, the people who claim that VT is winning, or these guys are traitors, are indeed misinformed and show their lack of understanding of wrestling.

When Alex Thompson transfered to ISU, I don't remember hearing people on the Cyclone side calling him a traitor. In fact, quite the opposite. But since these guys are Hawkeyes, and are dominating on the mat, a few rival fans are jealous of what they don't have.

ISU and Iowa are on top, and most wrestling fans have an appreciation for that. But to others, they'll find any way to trash their rival university, regardless of whether it's being hypocritical or not.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When Alex Thompson transfered to ISU, I don't remember hearing people on the Cyclone side calling him a traitor. In fact, quite the opposite. But since these guys are Hawkeyes, and are dominating on the mat, a few rival fans are jealous of what they don't have.

Saying that the case of the VT wrestlers is the same as the AT case would be like saying a tube of Preparation H is the same as a tube of Colgate toothpaste. From a far distance, the tube might look about the same, but once you get up close, it's plainly obvious that the two are pretty much different in nearly every respsect. Although I wouldn't be suprised if some folks might try to substitute the contents of one tube for the other...

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Saying that the case of the VT wrestlers is the same as the AT case would be like saying a tube of Preparation H is the same as a tube of Colgate toothpaste. From a far distance, the tube might look about the same, but once you get up close, it's plainly obvious that the two are pretty much different in nearly every respsect. Although I wouldn't be suprised if some folks might try to substitute the contents of one tube for the other...

While a funny comparison, it's a poor one. The fact of the matter is, wrestling at VT means next to nothing. It would be similar to Iowa or ISU holding players from transfering out of the swimming teams. Regardless of how highly regarded they are, it's still the wrong thing to do.

If it's football or basketball, or a high income sport, I can understand. But when a player signs with a school under the impression that they'll be able to follow their coach if they leave, the right thing to do is let them.