Mike Leach

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I am wondering; if Mike Leach is to be fired, how many recruits and current players are Texas Tech going to allow to leave too? I would bet that a majority of players at Tech did not go there because it was Lubbock but they wanted to play for the "Mad Professor"!

IMO - if Leach is let go, then all the recruits that strictly came to play for him should be allowed to leave too (even though that won't happen) and it is crazy for Tech to get rid of Leach because the program would just go down!

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I agree to a point, but think of it for TT's side. I think his current contract is up in two years, if he doesn't sign a long extension, it all but says he's gone after that, or seriously thinking about it. How negatively would that affect recruiting? I'd say a lot.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Leach will not get fired, he is still under a two year contract. Just the same, it is a valid point. If they can't come to an agreement soon, recruiting will suffer greatly.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I agree to a point, but think of it for TT's side. I think his current contract is up in two years, if he doesn't sign a long extension, it all but says he's gone after that, or seriously thinking about it. How negatively would that affect recruiting? I'd say a lot.

Agree. If the recruits know he is leaving in 2 years when they are committing for 4 then there is a good chance they go somewhere else. Granted there is no guarantee for any coach to stay 4 years (especially in this day and age) but if you know for a fact he is leaving since he wont sign a contract you might as well cut ties so you dont affect future recruitment.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Agree. If the recruits know he is leaving in 2 years when they are committing for 4 then there is a good chance they go somewhere else. Granted there is no guarantee for any coach to stay 4 years (especially in this day and age) but if you know for a fact he is leaving since he wont sign a contract you might as well cut ties so you dont affect future recruitment.

Then the decision is easy for the university: either agree to his contractual demands or fire him. If you feel he is hurting the program by not signing a contract then you must fire him today...unless you agree to remove the clauses in the contract that he has objected to.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Then the decision is easy for the university: either agree to his contractual demands or fire him. If you feel he is hurting the program by not signing a contract then you must fire him today...unless you agree to remove the clauses in the contract that he has objected to.

Or meet in the middle somewhere. I think the objections are to 12% payout if termed when other coaches in big 12 are 100% guaranteed. Also, he must seek permission to interview. I think this happens anyway but after hearing what happened to BC coach might not want it in writing.

ON the opposite side TT is giving a significant raise and is saying that is enough.

Meet in the middle, lower the salary in exchange for changing the clauses. get the deal done. TT is in the pickle though. Leach is a diamond in the rough based on his system. Not sure you have the same success there without him.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
If Tech is willing to part with Leach over some fickle and needless demands then you can bet they sure as heck will not let recruits out of their NLIs.

That said, I tend to agree that Leach is getting the short end of the stick. I know Tech is doing everything they can to keep him there (good or bad) but they are sacrificing the potential of him signing by putting in ridiculous buyout clauses.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If Tech is willing to part with Leach over some fickle and needless demands then you can bet they sure as heck will not let recruits out of their NLIs.

That said, I tend to agree that Leach is getting the short end of the stick. I know Tech is doing everything they can to keep him there (good or bad) but they are sacrificing the potential of him signing by putting in ridiculous buyout clauses.

And while that may help them in the short term with this one recruiting class, that is almost a damning act - telling kids that they cannot recommit when their coach is fired/let go is something future recruits will remember.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It's too bad this wasn't going on a few months ago when we were in the middle of a coaching search. I love Paul Rhoads but it would have been amazing getting Mike Leach to leave Tech.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
WRONG - TT ARE IDIOTS FOR JACKING HIM AROUND. Leach leads the b-12 in bowl games(active coaches) & has done it with 2nd tier athletes. It will take an eccentric dude to go to Lubbock....a garden spot it aint

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No way, no coach in his right mind would sign that contract. A contract is supposed to give you security, this offer doesn't do that at all.

TT= Idiots for insulting Leach with those offers.[/quote]

TT should be doing everything short of sucking his...well, you get the point, to keep Leach there. If I was a Tech fan, I would be beyond pissed at that administration...

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Did any of you actually read the contract offers? The reason he's objecting to the contract is because of clauses that Texas Tech added at the end of negotiations that were never approved. Tech is jerking him around, and if they get screwed by it, it's their own fault.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
TT is to completely blame for offering such a horrible contract in the first place. Oh and btw, no one knew they existed before Leach.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
TT is to completely blame for offering such a horrible contract in the first place. Oh and btw, no one knew they existed before Leach.

Could not agree more! TT is going to look like fools if they lose Leach over this! And why can't a person just fulfill the contract that he originally signed? I understand the recruiting aspect but since when did living up to an agreement (as Leach says he intends to do) become an offense that merits dismissal??

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Could not agree more! TT is going to look like fools if they lose Leach over this! And why can't a person just fulfill the contract that he originally signed? I understand the recruiting aspect but since when did living up to an agreement (as Leach says he intends to do) become an offense that merits dismissal??

Who said anything about not fulfilling the contract and then leaving? If anything, Tech will be the idiots by firing him.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Who said anything about not fulfilling the contract and then leaving? If anything, Tech will be the idiots by firing him.

Aren't we arguing the same point? The reason they might fire him is because he won't sign this extension. He has two years left on his current contract. My point is since when is it alright for a school to fire a coach for planning on fulfilling his contract? Mike Leach says that is exactly what he is going to do...fulfill his current contract. And for that, the school might fire him...go figure?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Aren't we arguing the same point? The reason they might fire him is because he won't sign this extension. He has two years left on his current contract. My point is since when is it alright for a school to fire a coach for planning on fulfilling his contract? Mike Leach says that is exactly what he is going to do...fulfill his contract. And for that, the school might fire him...go figure?

Sorry, I thought you were arguing that Leach wasn't holding up his end of the contract :embarrassed: