Mike Warren Question

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Weather looks wet for Stillwater on Saturday. Thus our run game will need to be productive.
I like all our RBs but am curious as to lack of carries for Mike Warren. I think I remember coach questioning his work ethic at practice last year. But, him not getting ANY carries really perplexes me. Thoughts?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Weather looks wet for Stillwater on Saturday. Thus our run game will need to be productive.
I like all our RBs but am curious as to lack of carries for Mike Warren. I think I remember coach questioning his work ethic at practice last year. But, him not getting ANY carries really perplexes me. Thoughts?
If its going to be wet in Stillwater Mike Warren shouldn't get any carries. He has a fumbling issue with a dry ball. No way you give him carries with a wet ball.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I heard that Warren was doing fine at at practice and in the RB room. He may just be the odd man out because of the fumbling tendencies. Trust that he is ready if/when we need him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I think there's little reason to take David Montgomery off the field, and if for whatever reason he does have to come out or if he's unable to play then they have a few guys in front of Warren who have earned the reps in Croney, Lang, and Kene. It's nothing Mike Warren has or hasn't done. It's just competition.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good weather for a ball control offense. Short downhill direct passes and a good run game will be key to a victory on Saturday.

Added something here...this sideline throw stuff does nothing to help the run game. If you complete a few in the middle of the field I'd think it puts pressure on the the linebackers to cover two areas.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The line hasn’t been great, but we also haven’t been great at finding out the holes or cutbacks they have created in the past few games. Can’t blame the running backs given how many times they must break tackles before even getting to the LOS, but we’ll need Lang or Kene to hit those.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I suggested to a friend maybe we should start him. He's been in the role before and it would be his last chance to prove something and maybe he'd fight for it. But then my friend reminded me that I'm an idiot.
There are worse ideas. I mean, it paid dividends with Kyle Kempt. I don't think he was necessarily listed at #2 on the depth chart for that game last year either.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Added something here...this sideline throw stuff does nothing to help the run game. If you complete a few in the middle of the field I'd think it puts pressure on the the linebackers to cover two areas.
Actually it should be both. Sideline throws draw the safeties wide. Passes over the middle force the linebackers to respect that area and not sell out to the run as you said.

• Winner
Reactions: illinoiscyclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Depends how it’s executed within the calling of other plays. It can move the defense so that other plays benefit, as well as replacing the run game. Or, as we execute it, compresses the field resulting in narrow passing windows and more tacklers near DM for when he bails on the failed attempt to run inside.

If only all DC’s were Mike Stoops.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually it should be both. Sideline throws draw the safeties wide. Passes over the middle force the linebackers to respect that area and not sell out to the run as you said.

Yeah more like what I meant. From what I've seen ISU sticks to the outside and short more than inside. Allows the defense to not have to adjust and gives less room to work with.

Also seems like it's a 25 yard throw for 3 yards when a downhill target has often been open or at least available.

If it were what they do to compliment something, sure.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Hearing DM won’t be suiting up Saturday. Johnnie Lang time.

I find it hard to believe that a deep shoulder bruise would keep DM out. Seems like hes been nursing it though. Either that isn’t the injury, or I expect him to suit up.