Minnesota Bar Caught Selling Spotted Cow

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
This isn't Smokey and the Bandit era. Anytime I go out of state I always stop by a grocery/liquor store for beer I can't get. Going to Florida in August and I plan on loading my trunk up with as much beer as I can.
webjaialai.png

:yes:

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Just sell more of the amazing beer your state produces. Spotted Cow is so incredibly overrated anyway.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Thank you for this article. I'm heading to Dubuque this week and this reminded me to bring home a car full of beer.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For you Moon Man lovers, 515 in Des Moines has a pretty close beer on tap IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
FWIW, I think a lot of the hype surrounding Spotted Cow is really hype for New Glarus Brewery itself.

Because Spotted Cow is the flagship, people talk about it. As others have noted, New Glarus is a phenomenal brewery, but Spotted Cow itself is just good - not great.

Same thing exists (to a lesser extent with their stronger distribution) with New Belgium/Fat Tire.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
It's everywhere in Wisconsin. You go into any crappy bar and they have 20 different varieties of your standard mass produced American lagers... and Spotted Cow. Any Central Waters or Rush River or Ale Asylum or O'so? Nope.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
It's everywhere in Wisconsin. You go into any crappy bar and they have 20 different varieties of your standard mass produced American lagers... and Spotted Cow. Any Central Waters or Rush River or Ale Asylum or O'so? Nope.

That's because most people at the crappy bars prefer Keystone Light.

True though, I have never seen O'so at a bar

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
FWIW, I think a lot of the hype surrounding Spotted Cow is really hype for New Glarus Brewery itself.

Because Spotted Cow is the flagship, people talk about it. As others have noted, New Glarus is a phenomenal brewery, but Spotted Cow itself is just good - not great.

Same thing exists (to a lesser extent with their stronger distribution) with New Belgium/Fat Tire.

I think the hype is due to its self-imposed exclusivity...people go gaga over stuff that they think is rare/unique/etc. Interesting that you used Fat Tire as a comparison; so many people were crazy about that stuff when it wasn't widely distributed, but now that you can buy it in just about every bar/liquor store/airport in the nation, it gets a very ho-hum reaction.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This place is just a couple miles down the road from me. I went there several years when it had a different name and didn't like the atmosphere and never went back. Based on what it was like back then this article doesn't surprise me.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

You'd think Wisconsinites (of all people) would be able to differentiate between a good and a crappy beer.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The only thing that's more overrated than spotted cow is anything from Yuengling. If you're going to go and buy a bunch from New Glarus get something good like Serendipity or Raspberry Tart

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Most of their beers are better than Spotted Cow. Their Fat Squirrel is amazing and their bocks are also very good.

Spotted cow is a great bear when you are both really dehydrated and want a beer. On a hot day I find myself in this predicament and spotted cow hits the spot. Otherwise I chug water and then have my beer and man I just don't have as much room. On a cold day or any other time but a really hot day I totally agree with you.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The only thing that's more overrated than spotted cow is anything from Yuengling. If you're going to go and buy a bunch from New Glarus get something good like Serendipity or Raspberry Tart

Or Moon Man, or Hopster, or pretty much anything else in their line up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You'd think Wisconsinites (of all people) would be able to differentiate between a good and a crappy beer.

They shop for alcohol content, not brands, not flavors, not style, it's high alcohol content rules in WI.

"Hey Meryl, Paint Thinner Toxic Ale is on sale and it's 12% alkeyhaul!"