Minnesota football recruiting

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Minnesota is probably in the bottom three (Indiana and maybe NW) in the Big11 for fan support. I work with many Gopher alums, and some former FB players, and you'd never know the UM had a program.
The only time there was excitement for the program in the last 30 years was when Sweet Lou was the coach.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Not a whole lot, like 55k or something.

Brewster is a good recruiter, and this is why he was sought out by teams. He has that reputation anyway.

I know first hand about Brewster..he was NOT sought out by any teams. He is a classless self promoter and lied his way into the Minnesota job. In fact, he told them ISU had offered him a job and Minnesota jumped to hire him. In fact, Iowa State had NO interest in him and never contacted him even though he called them to promote himself for the job.
Why is he recruiting well? Because he is NOT TELLING HIS RECRUITS THE TRUTH. They are being told they will start immediately, he is guaranteeing positions and playing time. This is not fair to the recruits, and he will have a mess when they figure his game out. It has already broke in the Twin Cities with a JUCO QB, who was told he would play QB, when Brewster has other plans. This is very short term, and again, he is screwing the recruits, something Chizik is very upfront about. Player dissention at MN will be terrible.
Here is an article in todays Pioneer Press.

Will Minnesota Gophers recruit David Pittman compete for the starting quarterback job or not?

Top recruit David Pittman says he was told he'd compete for the Gophers' starting quarterback job, but coach Tim Brewster says otherwise.

BY MARCUS R. FULLER
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 12/20/2007 12:41:23 AM CST

Pasadena City College quarterback David Pittman is among four junior college players the Gophers signed Wednesday to play football next fall. (San Gabriel Valley Newspapers file photo)

Junior college recruit David Pittman could be a high-impact player for the Gophers next season, but coach Tim Brewster said it just might not be at quarterback.

"He's not coming in here as a quarterback. He knows that," Brewster said while talking about his midseason football signings Wednesday. "He's coming in here as an athlete. He's coming in here as a slash. He knows that. That's been thoroughly discussed."

Has it?

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Pittman, a four-star recruit, said the Gophers told him he would get a chance to play quarterback. As a sophomore at Pasadena City College (Calif.) last season, he set a national junior college record with 303 completions while completing 67 percent of his passes and passing for 3,643 yards with 35 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also rushed for 572 yards and six touchdowns.

"They said they want me to come in and compete for the starting job," said Pittman, who plans to enroll at Minnesota in January. "The reason I went to junior college was to prove I could play quarterback. (Having a starter returning at Minnesota) wasn't going to deter me from going there. Competition brings out the best in people."

When asked if Brewster talked specifically to him about moving to another position, Pittman said he was told, "only if I want to."

If Pittman is right, then he'll be joining what was already shaping up to be an intriguing quarterbacks competition next spring. At the top of the depth chart is redshirt freshman

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
They plan to open in fall 2009 and I assume that these renderings are of the 50K start. Reading the plans gave no indication that expansion would be immediate. According to this, they averaged 49,025 in 2005, so 50k seats would barely fit the need for the bigger games (and since I don't follow Minnesota football, I have no idea what games those would be...) Living in Minnesota, we immediately found common ground with the Gophers - nobody likes the Hawkeyes! :biggrin:

Minny's two biggest games are Iowa & Wisconsin. But they have good attendance for Ohio St & Michigan too - like we do when Texas or Oklahoma comes to town.

They have also played North Dakota St the past few years, which has become similar to our games against UNI.

The one thing Minny doesn't have, which I think is a disadvantage, is the lack of a heated rivalry game like ISU/Iowa.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Jack Trice stadium is starting to look its age, which makes recruiting all that more difficult. I'm sure the top recruits that recently committed to Minny and Okie State saw the drawings for their new stadiums, and that did more to get them to commit than anything the coaches could say.

It appears more and more that ISU will need to get the Next Big Step project rolling to have any chance to attract the 4 and 5 star recruits. The clock is ticking. Fortunately, we have JP leading the cause. And a big thank you to the Wetters (who I've never met) for doing their part today. See link.

Taking the Next Big Step: Larry & Pat Wetter - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
...my question is with Brewster and Zook bordering Iowa...how is the Hawks' recruiting stacking up against those two?

At this point, Captain Kirk is getting is head handed to him if you put any stock at all in the recruiting sites. Rivals has Illinois #16, Minn #23, and the Squawks at #53.