Minnesota Showcase in Mankato

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
It was a great day for a drive so I went up to Mankato to watched the Mn Showcase tournament. The teams that are here are mainly area AAU, high school squads, and teams from SD, ND, and Wisc. Most of the talent is definitely Div. II and III players. There were one or two close games but the majority were blowouts. One big upset was a SD squad from the western part of the state beat Lakeville North. LN won the big school state tournament last year. I enjoyed watching the SD squad they have some talented shooters and can get up and down the floor. There were a few youngsters that stood out. Tiffaney Flaata from Prior Lake could grow into a Div. I talent. She is a 6'1" class of 2013 and has some good posts move and a decent shot to about 15 to 20 feet. As with all high schoolers conditioning is a factor and she could hit the weights too. She plays bigger than her size and probably could either be a 3 or 4. Only time will tell on this one. The talent is definitely there.

I got this off the web: Chynna Stevens of Clark, SD has verballed South Dakota State. The 5-11 2013 forward averaged 13.3 ppg last year for the 23-3 class A 3rd place team. Stevens is a two time all conference player and was 3rd team all State in 2011. Chynna was at the ISU elite camp this summer. SDS is one of those mid majors that no one wants to play on their non conference schedule because they just might give you a beat down.

The tournament will be running through Sunday in Mankato.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
It was a great day for a drive so I went up to Mankato to watched the Mn Showcase tournament. The teams that are here are mainly area AAU, high school squads, and teams from SD, ND, and Wisc. Most of the talent is definitely Div. II and III players. There were one or two close games but the majority were blowouts. One big upset was a SD squad from the western part of the state beat Lakeville North. LN won the big school state tournament last year. I enjoyed watching the SD squad they have some talented shooters and can get up and down the floor. There were a few youngsters that stood out. Tiffaney Flaata from Prior Lake could grow into a Div. I talent. She is a 6'1" class of 2013 and has some good posts move and a decent shot to about 15 to 20 feet. As with all high schoolers conditioning is a factor and she could hit the weights too. She plays bigger than her size and probably could either be a 3 or 4. Only time will tell on this one. The talent is definitely there.

I got this off the web: Chynna Stevens of Clark, SD has verballed South Dakota State. The 5-11 2013 forward averaged 13.3 ppg last year for the 23-3 class A 3rd place team. Stevens is a two time all conference player and was 3rd team all State in 2011. Chynna was at the ISU elite camp this summer. SDS is one of those mid majors that no one wants to play on their non conference schedule because they just might give you a beat down.

The tournament will be running through Sunday in Mankato.

Thanks for the up date. did you see any coaches in the crowd?

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Thanks for the up date. did you see any coaches in the crowd?

This isn't the level of tournament that Div I coaches would probably be at and I don't know too many Div. II and Div. III people by sight. I sat next to a coach from Mankato State and one from Upper Iowa. I know that some of the staff from South Dakota State and South Dakota were there as I heard them talking about the team from western SD. I am sure there were Div. I coaches at the All Iowa Attack tournament this past weekend.

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
SDSU seems to be good at finding talent in places a bit under the big name radar. Sounds like this is one of their spots.

It seems like the SDS staff spend most of their energy on recruiting their state. They usually sign at least one or two players off the South Dakota All State team. Life got in the way again for me or I would have been up in the Twin Cities watching the Great Four-State tournament today. It is at the Target Center and is for 9th grade girls and boys teams. The teams are from ND, SD, Minn., and Iowa. It would have been a good place to see the best young talent. If someone goes I would like to hear about it.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
This isn't the level of tournament that Div I coaches would probably be at and I don't know too many Div. II and Div. III people by sight. I sat next to a coach from Mankato State and one from Upper Iowa. I know that some of the staff from South Dakota State and South Dakota were there as I heard them talking about the team from western SD. I am sure there were Div. I coaches at the All Iowa Attack tournament this past weekend.

Division 1 coaches are not allowed to go on the road and attend tournaments until the July recruiting period. I think that it starts about July 5 or 6.

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Division 1 coaches are not allowed to go on the road and attend tournaments until the July recruiting period. I think that it starts about July 5 or 6.

Is that ruling for all the staff? Because there have been some major tournaments nationally and I am sure that the Conn., Tenn., and others have had scouts there. Maybe those folks are not the paid staff but they are there. As for the tournament in Mankato the people from SD and SDS might not have been coaches. Just fans like us that want to share info with the real coaches. Won't be BF be in China in July?

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
Won't be BF be in China in July?

BF has said the tournament is after the July recruiting period.

It would be great to have a dynamic young coach on the staff, who has the background and experience to recruit any school, connect with a family from any socioeconomic segment. Someone who has played and excelled at many levels, and could help get more consistency from our bigs, especially. Hopefully our posts will come into the season with more confidence and readiness to get in a groove, after the struggle they had last season at times.