MLB: Misc. General Thread Baseball Season 2017

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I've been an Astro fan all 56 years of their existence.

About time.

Of course I hardly watch baseball anymore but better late then never.

I also bet a load on them to win the series pre-season. (in the betting forum here)
I have been a fan for 56 years, I was 6 years old when they started, already collecting baseball cards and this happened in rural Iowa. I do watch baseball, and have been somewhat of a fanatic Astro fan over the years, I don't watch pro-football, or pro-basketball. Love ISU sports, and even football this year.

This was a big event for me and I watched every minute of it, hope it doesn't cost me my job. The team was really special, friendly, hard working, and multi-culturally diverse. (I wonder if they still want to put up a wall in Texas?) They are certainly by far the best team in Houston history. They were fortunate last night to have Morton on his game, the Dodgers were a great team.

The reason I didn't comment much is because I have pretty much blocked out everything except the games since the world series started. It has even been hard to comment on politics. I wish both teams well, and the city of Houston, and LA. Speedy recovery to Houston.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Been an Astros fan since I moved to Houston 2 years ago, nice that they're out of the NL Central so that I can root for both the Cubs and them in all but interleague and WS play. Was a really fun team to watch, the early lead reminded me of Game 7 last year and kept thinking LA would claw back like the Indians did. Pretty awesome to see Morton slam the door shut considering how shaky the Astros pen had been.

• Agree
Reactions: mitten1975

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins: Sano is opting to have a rod inserted in his shin. Seems pretty extreme for a stress reaction which is usually a term for something even short of a stress fracture. Not playing at close to 300 pounds might be advised considering he is having these problems and he is only 24. Maybe this will be an epiphany for him and he will get in top athlete shape. Based on how often THAT happens with fat players I am skeptical.

Yanks: Think tomorrow is Tanaka's opt out day. Before the playoffs I thought he'd be crazy to opt out considering his up and down year but he had a great playoff run. On the plus side for him is the pitching free agent market is weak. Also he is only 29. Downside is his partially torn elbow is a ticking timebomb. No way I'd want to go $150M for five years or so with that elbow in mind. Yanks will let him walk unless they reach some midnight extension deal.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But with Masahiro Tanaka deciding on Friday not to invoke the opt-out clause in his contract, Cashman doesn’t have to worry about Plan B to add a starting pitcher for next season and beyond.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...kees-title-caliber-rotation-article-1.3610039

Well, scratch Tanaka from the free agent list. As a Yankee fan this pleases me. Kinda surprised he did not opt out, figured it was 50/50. I am guessing the potential suiters were balking at a big dollar contract for a guy with a partial tear in his pitching elbow.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames