Misheard lyrics

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
A more recent song, I legitimately thought Imagine Dragon’s “Bad Liar” (didn’t know the title) lyrics were “cause I’m a vampire” not “cause I’m a bad liar”

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wife thought Big ol' jet airliner
was We go jet airliner

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
When I was a kid, I thought the beginning of the national anthem was 'Jose, can you see?'

Another one most have probably misheard: 'Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche'

Adding to this - have you completely missed the meaning of a song?

My sister & I were talking this last weekend. As little kids, we would listen to the song "Wildfire" by Michael Martin Murphy and get upset because we thought the horse died. Nope. Song isn't about the horse dying.

Reactions: cyclones500

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
When I was a kid, I thought the beginning of the national anthem was 'Jose, can you see?'

Another one most have probably misheard: 'Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche'
My mom as a kid thought "...and the home of the brave" was "...and the home on the range."

I thought "...by the dawns early light" was "...by the donserly light."

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
My sister could never understand why we sang about bringing in the cheese in church, it was the old hymn Bringing In the Sheaves.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

I don't know if it fits your criteria, but it's not so much that I mishear the lyrics as it is that I make up my own. For instance, Pat Benatar: Hit me with a wet mop, instead of hit me with your best shot.

I usually reserve these misappropriated lyrics for songs that seemed to be played on a loop on the radio back in the day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not misinterpreting but could just never understand what they were.

--Chorus to Rocketman after the word 'Rocketman'.

--the entire Yellow Ledbetter album recording. It sounds like Vedder is gibberishly slurring through the whole thing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not misinterpreting but could just never understand what they were.

--Chorus to Rocketman after the word 'Rocketman'.

Oh man, when I was young I misheard SO many Elton John lyrics. Without having a lyrics guide, I made it up as I went along, especially from “Benny and the Jets.”

Re: your “Rocket Man” question, I heard (and still can hear) — “Burning on a shoe-tops ever long.”
(Actual: Burning out his fuse up here alone).

Another mix-up, just prior to that:
“I’m not the man they think I am at home.”
I heard —> “My poor mammy thinks I am at home.”

Reactions: madguy30

Help Support Us

Become a patron