Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
When you look at that timeline it really makes me think someone specifically was after him and knew his schedule. They created a roadblock, took him, and murdered him.

I still don't think he ever left the farm. No Coveralls or boots in the truck?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't all trucks now have digital log books? I didn't think written log books were allowed anymore. I would think this would give some data as to when the truck stopped where and when.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Don't all trucks now have digital log books? I didn't think written log books were allowed anymore. I would think this would give some data as to when the truck stopped where and when.
They have cell phone data verifying his location with the current time line. Between the video at the truck stop and where his truck was found it's anyone's guess what happened.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Depends on the age of the truck and I thought that livestock was exempt, at least in some situations but I could be wrong.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Depends on the age of the truck and I thought that livestock was exempt, at least in some situations but I could be wrong.
Correct on both accounts. Most trucks built prior to 2000 don't have an ECM which makes them incompatible with E-logging devices. For the livestock exemption I believe you have to remain within 150 air miles to be exempt from E-logs, unless you also have a truck older than 2000.

Last edited:

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Correct on both accounts. Most trucks build prior to 2000 don't have an ECM which makes them incompatible with E-logging devices. For the livestock exemption I believe you have to remain within 150 air miles to be exempt from E-logs, unless you also have a truck older than 2000.
Probably explains why I got passed by two trucker once going at least 90 hauling livestock. No governor or log book.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
After loading the pigs, he stops at the Marker 126 truck stop on Highway 20, just east of Ft Dodge.
It says they can see him on video there and he's there for 16 minutes.
What's interesting is that then they say his cell records show he then goes straight to old 71, where they find his truck the next day.
Very possible they aren't releasing all information, but it's strange if his cell location doesn't show that he turned south off 20 toward Sac City first, and then stop/turn around.
Makes me think that someone got in his truck with him at the truck stop.

The roadblock theory doesn't work to me in this scenario. I feel like that scenario would have had to have happened on a gravel road, or highway shortly after he loaded the pigs. Even that late at night, highway 20 would be too busy to do something like that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
After loading the pigs, he stops at the Marker 126 truck stop on Highway 20, just east of Ft Dodge.
What's interesting is that then they say his cell records show he then goes straight to old 71, where they find his truck the next day.
Very possible they aren't releasing all information, but it's strange if his cell location doesn't show that he turned south off 20 toward Sac City first, and then stop/turn around.

The roadblock theory doesn't work to me in this scenario. I feel like that scenario would have had to have happened on a gravel road, or highway shortly after he loaded the pigs. Even that late at night, highway 20 would be too busy to do something like that.
That all makes sense. Again, likely someone that knew his schedule and was following him with intent of murdering him.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

The bold makes sense and is my biggest concern when stop with the race hauler to get fuel. So much so that I walk back and check the living area every time.

Get in, hide in the bunk until you think you are at a good spot to do something.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The bold makes sense and is my biggest concern when stop with the race hauler to get fuel. So much so that I walk back and check the living area every time.

Get in, hide in the bunk until you think you are at a good spot to do something.
While I think it's fairly likely someone got in with him at the truck stop, I highly doubt it was a random encounter.

My assumption is that you aren't involved with shady people that would have a compelling reason to want you dead.

Then again, you do people's taxes, so I suppose you probably should be looking over your shoulder!