Missouri Valley continues to be gutted

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Not much of a loss. The thinking of Missouri State fans (what's left of them) is strange. They think they will only have better athletics if they go to a better conference. Most programs move up because they have had success and want to take the next step. They are middle of the pack at best in the current valley.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Not much of a loss. The thinking of Missouri State fans (what's left of them) is strange. They think they will only have better athletics if they go to a better conference. Most programs move up because they have had success and want to take the next step. They are middle of the pack at best in the current valley.
Interesting quote from their release
The Bears have won five MVC All-Sports Trophy awards in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2011 and 2018 while finishing second nine times, including each of the past three years (2021, 2022, 2023).

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Valley is being gutted by losing a team that's finished in the top half of the league once in 12 years?

They've been desperate to get to FBS football for over a decade and this does it. They are a terrible football program but money talks. They do great in the all sports race because they're typically very good in baseball and all women's sports. It's their flagship men's sports that have struggled.

The Valley will back fill with UT-Arlington and I don't think it'll take long to make the move.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The Valley is being gutted by losing a team that's finished in the top half of the league once in 12 years?

They've been desperate to get to FBS football for over a decade and this does it. They are a terrible football program but money talks. They do great in the all sports race because they're typically very good in baseball and all women's sports. It's their flagship men's sports that have struggled.

The Valley will back fill with UT-Arlington and I don't think it'll take long to make the move.
I wonder why they haven’t tried to make NDSU and SDSU full members. Maybe they have and they said no

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I wonder why they haven’t tried to make NDSU and SDSU full members. Maybe they have and they said no
The Valley doesn't want them. They blow up travel budgets and don't really bring you anything off the floor.

The private schools in the league need avenues to recruit regular, tuition paying students as they lose more and more enrollment and that's why there was such a big focus to get into Nashville last time with Belmont and to make sure the league stayed in Chicago with UIC. The calculus at this level is way different than the P5.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Why not make the Dakota schools full members?

Reactions: heitclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Valley doesn't want them. They blow up travel budgets and don't really bring you anything off the floor.

The private schools in the league need avenues to recruit regular, tuition paying students as they lose more and more enrollment and that's why there was such a big focus to get into Nashville last time with Belmont and to make sure the league stayed in Chicago with UIC. The calculus at this level is way different than the P5.
So the Dakota schools will blow up travel and UT Arlington wouldn’t?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
cant deny that they are "moving up" even if they haven't been very good.

why missouri state, though? clearly the conf usa wanted them?

Hard time believing if they came to, say, UNI, that they would of turned them down.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I hope you're right about UT-Arlington. I think they're an obvious upgrade. Good riddance to Missouri State.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Missouri State has a lot of advantages to the rest of the Valley. They're a state school in a state with only one P5 school, and they're in a good sized metro (I won't say great by any means, but good) and they have a strong baseball program which shows they can win.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

The Missouri Valley is crumbling, and every team that is able to get out is doing so. This didn’t start here and also won’t end here either.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Is a school like say, Chattanooga attractive to the Valley or do they already earn more?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Is a school like say, Chattanooga attractive to the Valley or do they already earn more?
I would think so but the problem becomes convincing a team that far south and east that they want to play in a Midwest based league where any added money you'd get would immediately be sucked up by travel plus the Valley has budget minimums and scheduling mandates (i.e. you have to buy games) that the leagues just below the Valley don't have.

Arlington is the favorite and the next tier is most likely Northern Kentucky, Kansas City and Milwaukee.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Curious why St Thomas in the Twin Cities wouldn’t get a look from the MVC. Clearly a school that puts emphasis on athletics in a large metro area. They are in the process of building a brand new arena for basketball

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Curious why St Thomas in the Twin Cities wouldn’t get a look from the MVC. Clearly a school that puts emphasis on athletics in a large metro area. They are in the process of building a brand new arena for basketball
They will be a candidate in the future.

Due to their unique D3 to DI jump, they have to stay in the Summit until 2028. It was the only way the NCAA would approve the waiver.