Mistress Brewing Ankeny

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Anyone checked out their new taproom? Stopped in a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised how nice and spacious it is. Reminds me a little of a smaller TG. Plenty of room and different types of seating. There’s an upstairs plus a couple private areas with their own TVs with sofas. There is a stage in the back and a large big screen above the bar. The beers not TG level but it’s not bad. Good place to watch a game or hang out with a group of friends.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Been. Hated it.
Need a better ventilation system. I though the fake interior balconies and stage area was over the top unnecessary.
Lukewarm beer that tasted like home brew.
Didn’t like that the bartenders didn’t want you to order at the bar if you were going to sit at a table. Waiters walk around with iPads to take orders but the time for them to get your order and bring your beer was too long. Only brewery around the metro I’ve seen that done.

Good thing they’ve got a lot of money backing them.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Been. Hated it.
Need a better ventilation system. I though the fake interior balconies and stage area was over the top unnecessary.
Didn’t like that the bartenders didn’t want you to order at the bar if you were going to sit at a table. Waiters walk around with iPads to take orders but the time for them to get your order and bring your beer was too long. Only brewery around the metro I’ve seen that done.

Guess I didn’t notice any ventilation issues but I agree the beer was a little on the warm side. I thought the black IPA and hoppy blonde were decent but hopefully they continue to get better. Also didn’t care for the painted balcony but didn’t bother me while watching a game on the giant tv. My biggest complaint was the food we ordered from Fletchers next door. Not good.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
How do these guys stay open? I've never heard one remotely positive thing about them or their beer.

I think the whole "Mistress" shtick isn't nearly as cute as they think it is. I've only had a few beers from them, but nothing I cared to have again.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How do these guys stay open? I've never heard one remotely positive thing about them or their beer.

I think the whole "Mistress" shtick isn't nearly as cute as they think it is. I've only had a few beers from them, but nothing I cared to have again.
In today’s Me Too movement, I think they really should have thought about a different name and beer descriptions.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

I haven't even been yet but my expectations are already low. I about boycotted because of the dumb "mistress shtick" you noted...In defense the story is the wife said "brewing beer is your mistress", so give a partial pass - but I'm a young-old-fogey so I'm not impressed by the Ashley Madison innuendo.

I'll give them a shot but for me, it is all about the ambiance of the place and the cavernous-rooms-retrofit-pics aren't inspiring. If I am leaving home to talk with friends (vs watch a game), I want it to be somewhere comfortable - not everywhere can be Dublin Bay but look at this: it wouldn't be so bad if they were! Subdivide into smaller rooms!! Nooks! Corners!

(360)https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x87ee7a8ef327fc7d:0x6be62b8bd7b5c4f8!2m20!8m2!1m1!1e2!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e6!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e5!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipP2gk5Ki-5wVDw3ehvO8au0OAOwlCaooG8s5u5X=w239-h160-k-no!5sdublin bay - Google Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOWsyvbf_f7jAzFqfDGlfEEk2xjSpxHClhXuVRp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwio0aP3qITfAhVJEawKHS81DrIQoiowF3oECAYQBg&activetab=panorama

Last edited:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I haven't been, but I have heard some pretty meh reviews from people I trust. I also think the "Mistress" shtick may backfire. My daughter is a craft beer aficionado and she refuses to frequent the place on principal.

Also didn't know they have deep pocket owners

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

The taproom has only been open about a month or so.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ive been there a couple times and enjoyed it.

The black IPA mixed with their strawberry blonde ale is delicious.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Been. Hated it.

not what I've heard. They ran out of cash once during their build out...wonder how long investors will pump money on something.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
not what I've heard. They ran out of cash once during their build out...wonder how long investors will pump money on something.
Word thru another brewery is that one of the Denny’s is now invested. I would imagine that’s Elwell since he owns the building and the Fletcher.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Firetrucker is just too good for much competition in Ankeny. If I am not going to firetrucker I will drive to Polk City for Fenders or head downtown.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Firetrucker is just too good for much competition in Ankeny. If I am not going to firetrucker I will drive to Polk City for Fenders or head downtown.
fenders is the bomb...great beer and great guys who own it.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Word thru another brewery is that one of the Denny’s is now invested. I would imagine that’s Elwell since he owns the building and the Fletcher.

i think it's the other Denny...but I'll ask because now I'm curious

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The strawberry blonde is one of my wife's favorite craft beers.

I prefer Firetrucker brews vs mistress.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There are so many places now that I don't know how they stay open. Between terrible locations, terrible beer, or both.

Just a few come to mind:

Madhouse-Good/Great beer at times. Hidden location that is tiny. Probably not a big deal because they seemed to be focused on making good beer, not having a great taproom.

Fox Brewing-I am so shocked they made it through 2018. Bad beer and location.

Twisted Vine-Decent space and location. Beer below average.

New American-Good location. Not so great beer. Closed RIP

Court Avenue and Flix-They can have below average beer because beer isn't their thing.

What's doubly sad is that a lot of these have been in business for a long time and should be able to make great beer by know. It seems like that if you can't make good beer in the first year, there is little hope in turning it around. Bridghtside in Altoona is one that seems to be getting a little better since reopening. Reclaimed Rails is another one that I think has hope even though I don't like a lot of their beers.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

They must have had some kind of issue. I live right next to the place and the ”opening spring of 2018" sign was up until this fall. It appeared they were making little progress on it for about 6 months.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There are so many places now that I don't know how they stay open. Between terrible locations, terrible beer, or both.

Just a few come to mind:

Madhouse-Good/Great beer at times. Hidden location that is tiny. Probably not a big deal because they seemed to be focused on making good beer, not having a great taproom.

Fox Brewing-I am so shocked they made it through 2018. Bad beer and location.

Twisted Vine-Decent space and location. Beer below average.

New American-Good location. Not so great beer. Closed RIP

Court Avenue and Flix-They can have below average beer because beer isn't their thing.

What's doubly sad is that a lot of these have been in business for a long time and should be able to make great beer by know. It seems like that if you can't make good beer in the first year, there is little hope in turning it around. Bridghtside in Altoona is one that seems to be getting a little better since reopening. Reclaimed Rails is another one that I think has hope even though I don't like a lot of their beers.

I disagree flix is below average. Its not my favorite, but I am consistently impressed by their beers and they put out a lot of new stuff. Isn't their master brewer from Iowa?

I haven't been impressed with the beers I've had from mistress, but they are new. Breweries can improve with time. I'll keep giving them chances.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron