Mod's without Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
not to be confused with Men Without Hats!

Serious question - What was so bad about the Bruce VandeVelde thread that a certain moderator determined it should be "locked"?

The thread originator seriously wanted to know what had become of BVD and there was actually a little debate about the pro's and con's of his tenure. There was a little rancor in the thread as well, but nothing that doesn't go on in probably 25% of the threads on this site (and 100% of threads with mention of Dan McCarney).

What criteria does a moderator use when determining whether or not a thread should be locked?

I for one thought it was a legitimate topic! Can you unlock it?

FREE BVD! FREE BVD! FREE BVD!

P.S. I love the site!

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I've been to a few message boards in my day and I gotta say the Mods here are increditibly nice compared to other sites IMO.

SilverCyclone

Nov 9, 2006
yehhh... but ol' BVD could still use a good pistolwhippin' to get that menagerie of ice off of his personality...

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Mods without humor???

How about:

knock knock..
Who's there?
Banana..
Knock knock..
Who's there?
Banana..
Knock knock..
Who's there?
Orange...
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I have humor!! Just look:

Two guys walk into a bar. The third one ducks.

-----

Seriously, though... I understand frustration, as everyone has different ideas of what is acceptable and what isn't, as far as posts go. I am personally really liberal about letting threads go, but I think that it's all a really big balancing act. One thing that we DO ask is that people let us know if something offends them. We have people under 18 visiting the site, so we want to make sure not to let anything offend anyone.

Last edited:

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
not to be confused with Men Without Hats!

Serious question - What was so bad about the Bruce VandeVelde thread that a certain moderator determined it should be "locked"?

The thread originator seriously wanted to know what had become of BVD and there was actually a little debate about the pro's and con's of his tenure. There was a little rancor in the thread as well, but nothing that doesn't go on in probably 25% of the threads on this site (and 100% of threads with mention of Dan McCarney).

What criteria does a moderator use when determining whether or not a thread should be locked?

I for one thought it was a legitimate topic! Can you unlock it?

FREE BVD! FREE BVD! FREE BVD!

P.S. I love the site!

Most of the people that run this site understand it for what it is (yes Jeremy I AM talking about you), a forum for people to get into and discuss/argue all things Iowa State. I believe that it was designed to be a free flowing discussion, and as long as noone is attacked on a personal level, then anything should be fair game.

The problem is that there are SOME, I REPEAT SOME, moderators who consider themselves the perfect fan, and all should aspire to be like them, and root for Iowa State in their perfect way. When there are people of dissenting opinions on board, and they make their feelings known, it disrupts the moral utopia that some of the these people wish for. You have seen the people on here that try to guide the debate as it happens, we ALL know who they are.

I love this site as well, Jeremy does a hell of a job, and I like a lot of the people on this site, even the ones that don't agree with me:wink0st:.

I think everything will cool down IF Dan McCarney ever gets a job. Some of these people need it, because they invested so much in the guy. The problem is that the clock is ticking down. There aren't too many jobs left out there.

Last edited:

SilverCyclone

Nov 9, 2006
"moderators who consider themselves the perfect fan, and all should aspire to be like them, and root for Iowa State in their perfect way"....

---... Do You Think They Watched SNL Skits To Learn The "PERFECT CHEER" Too ?!?

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
"moderators who consider themselves the perfect fan, and all should aspire to be like them, and root for Iowa State in their perfect way"....

---... Do You Think They Watched SNL Skits To Learn The "PERFECT CHEER" Too ?!?

Probably :biggrin9gp:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
that's just sad
What is sad is when people change an innocent post about someone and turn it into a bit*h session. If the topic was on course it probably would continue. Don't complain about the moderators, this site is working fine.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Since we all have different tastes in humor, I'm going to give a quick answer to the original question, no seriously.

One thing everybody needs to remember is that moderators are fans just like anybody else. We try our hardest not to let our own opinions get in the way of judging if content is appropriate or not. NOW, I'm not going to say it never has, let's be honest, we know it has. BUT, we do our best not to let it and that is something we all work on every day we're on here. We haven't been perfect in choosing what and when to moderate, but we do our best.

If it weren't for the moderators having stepped up over the past year to help keep things running smoothly, we wouldn't have a place at all. So I guess all I ask is for everybody to understand that we're all humans and we all have different tolerant levels. I may be more liberal on threads than some and some will be more liberal than me. We have our set guidelines but we're just humans.

So to answer your question, we do our best and hopefully in the end that is more than good enough. We'll not always make everybody happen all the time, but again, we do our best:)

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Wow, looks like my post got deleted. But yes a certain mod feels seemingly compelled to take action with regards to discussions that apparently do not agree with his own. Rather insecure I think.

Geeeez, I hope this post does not get deleted.

Perhaps we could have a guideline of what gets deleted and what does not. :baffled5wh:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Acctually, I have alot of respect for every moderator on this board, except for one. I think everyone in here that is complaing knows who I am talking about, and I also think that moderator knows who I am talking about.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
One of the reasons threads are closed, and pretty much the only reason, are because they take a turn towards being attacks on members or moderators. This thread for instance is at a fork in the road. Will it stay on the path of helpful criticism and debate or will it turn towards personal attacks on individual moderators? That's the type of fork that decides a thread's fate. We close very few topics but those that turn personal really leave us no choice.

There have been differences between users and moderators at one point or another, that's where we learn from the situations though. I know of differences between users and mods in the past and I think everybody needs to give a second chance to those they have differences with. I know we all try to improve how we handle things and hopefully it's evident over time.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
This is a touchy subject to comment on. Though we are all mods, we still have different opinions as well. We have been trying to get better about discussing which threads should be closed or edited as a group instead of individual efforts. Sometimes though that becomes tough and a decision may be made based on that individuals opinion on that matter.

Now I have not read the thread that is being discussed, so I can't comment directly on that situation. What I can say is please respect our decisions just as much as you want us to respect yours with the choices of posts that you make. I have been to other boards, and do feel that CF is much more liberal when it comes to topics. Many hound you for just making a duplicate or similiar topic thread that has already been created before. Some have specific outline on how they prefer posts to appear. Now we have laid out rules that we hope all members respect; and if you have an issue with them, you need to contact the apporiate members privately to discuss them.

I respect your concern as I am sure others mods do as well. But please understand that there may be descisions made that you may not agree with. And as much as it may irritate you or others, it may just be best to move past it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.