MONDAY MUSINGS: It's hard to be optimistic anymore

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
If we really believe these things about PR, there is no answer but to fire him asap. Personally, I believe that would be the correct move.

It isn't about Lanning not wanting to play. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance. It is about what Paul Rhoads and staff will do to his psyche if he is the starting QB. Rhoads will ruin Lanning like he ruins every QB if he turns his attention towards him.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Rhoads destroys QBs. The more attention he pays to them the worse they get. I'd prefer Lanning never get the full Paul Rhoads Starting Quarterback Coaching Experience.

Just out of curiosity where do you come up with this stuff? CPR isn't a QB coach and never has been. He was a defensive coach and a good one at that. With that being said CPR let's his offensive coaches (mainly the QB coach) deal with the QB's. I have never once seen him try to coach up one of the QB's, if he thinks there is a problem he makes the position coach aware of it and the position coach does the coaching up. So while CPR has his faults, to say "Rhoads destroys QBs" is just plain making stuff up.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Just out of curiosity where do you come up with this stuff? CPR isn't a QB coach and never has been. He was a defensive coach and a good one at that. With that being said CPR let's his offensive coaches (mainly the QB coach) deal with the QB's. I have never once seen him try to coach up one of the QB's, if he thinks there is a problem he makes the position coach aware of it and the position coach does the coaching up. So while CPR has his faults, to say "Rhoads destroys QBs" is just plain making stuff up.

Respectfully disagree. Every one of his QBs has plateaued or regressed since he got here. It may not be him personally but its happening under his watch.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Every QB since Arnaud has gotten more tentative, less accurate, and generally broken under Rhoads. The more time they spend as the starter the more pronounced it becomes. Hell, it wasn't even until this year that he figured out trying to play them against each other and swapping them back and forth was a bad idea.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Respectfully disagree. Every one of his QBs has plateaued or regressed since he got here. It may not be him personally but its happening under his watch.

Couldnt agree more, look no further than Steele Jantz, Jared Barnett and Sam Richardson. All three regressed substantially over their careers in Ames.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
agreed, that's why you don't put him in an impossible situation next week.

It's not like we're going up against the '85 Bears defense next week. It's an average Big 12 conference defense. We're probably not going to win the game next week but I'm not afraid of TCU's defense in the least. They've been worse than decimated.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
CW just a quick question. Being close to the program and the team during the off season and the August practices and still being a young rug rat. Is it difficult to avoid Pollyanna?

I'm an optimistic person by nature. Plus, I genuinely care for and am close to Iowa State. I have a degree from there. My wife has two degrees from there. I love all of you guys in a weird, Internet family kind of way. I'll never cover Iowa State in an ultra negative type of way. It's just not me.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does Austin Flynn fit this category of QBs who regress?

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CW just a quick question. Being close to the program and the team during the off season and the August practices and still being a young rug rat. Is it difficult to avoid Pollyanna?

Everything CW said was with appropriate caution and reasonable explanation. Optimism, delightfully yes. Pollyanna, absolutely no.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009
I'm an optimistic person by nature. Plus, I genuinely care for and am close to Iowa State. I have a degree from there. My wife has two degrees from there. I love all of you guys in a weird, Internet family kind of way. I'll never cover Iowa State in an ultra negative type of way. It's just not me.

Completely understand and that's the way it should be. I'll just avoid loading up on your preseason predictions in the future.:rolleyes:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It's not like we're going up against the '85 Bears defense next week. It's an average Big 12 conference defense. We're probably not going to win the game next week but I'm not afraid of TCU's defense in the least. They've been worse than decimated.

It's not the defense that makes me say that, it's the offense they have to try to keep up with.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

This is part of what mystifies people like me who've never played D-1 football...if the above is true then how is the reverse possible; how has Jim Harbaugh, a former QB been the overseer of a defense that has produced three straight shut-outs? Did he make the most genius DC hire ever or does he engage in the defensive game-planning? How is that guy doing it???

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

Pretty much mirrors my sentiments. It's sad to see us regress to Walden levels of competition, but I don't see the appeal of relishing in, or in some cases, celebrating our deficiencies in an effort to be clever or cute.

As for Rhoads ruining QBs, I don't know, but Rhoads doesn't appear to handle adversity well. His body language doesn't help instill confidence in our guys when things go wrong. We had a basketball coach that was amazing at that, and I believe it's one of Rhoads' biggest faults.

As for Richardson, it was a perfect storm of a mishandled QB competition, a kid that does not carry himself like you'd expect a D1 QB or care much about wins or losses.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is part of what mystifies people like me who've never played D-1 football...if the above is true then how is the reverse possible; how has Jim Harbaugh, a former QB been the overseer of a defense that has produced three straight shut-outs? Did he make the most genius DC hire ever or does he engage in the defensive game-planning? How is that guy doing it???

Yes DJ Durkin was a great hire. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010815aaa.html

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I suppose I could muster up some inane argument for ranking 2-4 Texas over 4-2 Texas Tech but I would love to hear the reasoning behind ranking West Virginia and Kansas State over Texas Tech at this point.

WVU did not look that solid but KSU played well against a great opponent so they are on a par with TT who lost the week before.

I can hear Kingsbury now, " Do the razzle dazzle. Give them the slip deep. The eight backers do not move!"

ttuadvisor

Sep 17, 2012
WVU did not look that solid but KSU played well against a great opponent so they are on a par with TT who lost the week before.

We're picking nits a little but that's what we do on college football fan message boards. If you wanted to argue that TTU and KSU games vs. TCU are even I suppose I could let you get away with that one. I think TCU got pretty lucky to win the Tech game but whatever.

Now tell me who is Kansas State's best win? 3 OT game vs. La Tech? At least Texas Tech went on the road vs. an SEC team and won at night. Who has West Virginia beaten?

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014

TTech's D sucked too. Still didn't matter.