MONDAY MUSINGS: Why I'm not freaking out quite yet

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Freaking out is definitely too strong.
Disappointment has certainly set in. We had a chance to be really freaking good this year /next. But now it is clear we are one young creative OC away from being great.

You must be a father, everyone knows disappointing someone is worse than making then mad! lol In all reality, I think a lot of fans are getting restless. It is getting annoying being in games up until the end.

Year one with Campbell we saw a team develop to the point of being competitive.
Year two we saw a team be competitive and sneak in some extra wins.
Year three I think the fan base was ready to see that step to winning comfortable against some opponents and still steal games against the top teams.

These lackluster games suck but I also think the fanbase is drawing off the way the season ended last year, as well.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
In all fairness, preseason, I was predicting us to be 3-2 at this point. We should/would be 2-3. So you're right in that regard.

I'm wasn't optimistic about the offense after Akron, and about the same after TCU. I'd expect OSU to have a better defense than Akron, but it's hard to say. :confused:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The only reason I'm still optimistic about getting bowl eligible is with our FCS at the end of the season this schedule is insanely front loaded.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The problem I'm starting to see is cracks in the armor. The defense will grow to resent the offense and there will be some friction in the locker room. I expect our coaches to control the situation, but if this keeps up, there will be some altercation at some point. It won't be visible or made public, but behind the scenes you can bet the locker room will begin to separate.

Same thing could have been said last year. I’m not worried.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The problem I'm starting to see is cracks in the armor. The defense will grow to resent the offense and there will be some friction in the locker room. I expect our coaches to control the situation, but if this keeps up, there will be some altercation at some point. It won't be visible or made public, but behind the scenes you can bet the locker room will begin to separate.

Bull****. The only "cracks" in the armor you're seeing are the total meltdowns occurring in the game thread by people who call themselves fans of this team. If there truly were cracks in the armor as you suggest, if the defense started not playing to carry the offense, there is no way in hell we are still in that game through the 4th quarter on Saturday.

I'm not suggesting there aren't issues with this team, because there are, especially on the offensive side of the ball. But your post is so far off base it's almost wishful thinking.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In all fairness, preseason, I was predicting us to be 3-2 at this point. We should/would be 2-3. So you're right in that regard.

I'm wasn't optimistic about the offense after Akron, and about the same after TCU. I'd expect OSU to have a better defense than Akron, but it's hard to say. :confused:

Not sure that they have a very good defense. TT sure blew through it pretty easy, and it was not all through the air either. TT also shut their offense down, and you would be hard pressed to find someone that things TT defense is good. I like ISU's chances this Saturday if DM, Muller and Allen can play. KK would be helpful too, but doubt he will be back.

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
My frustration is all on the offensive side of the ball - in reality, we have most of the pieces back from last year's 2nd half team that played with anybody - QB's, RB's, TE's, 3 or 4 starting linemen, WR's (except Lazard and Murdock), so these guys should be much, much better than they have showed. In my opinion, I think a big problem is the play calling (1 throw down field Saturday?) and the lack of pace it takes to get the plays in....we can't seem to get any flow going. I really think CMC needs to hand over play calling to someone else, who is only thinking about one thing - calling plays. Campbell is the greatest thing to happen to ISU, but, he has too much on his plate on Saturdays to be calling plays.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We have played 2 of the 3 toughest D's on our schedule (Iowa, TCU, w/ Texas still to come) and the most prolific O maybe in college football in OU and have been in all the games well into the 4th Quarter even with a very conservative / pedestrian offense. The D is getting better / stingier / nastier game by game. If we can see similar improvement from the O, 7-5 is well within reach.

Last year we went 1-4 against Texas, TTU, OSU, WV, and KSU. Flip that to 3-2 this year and with wins against Kansas, Baylor, and IW, that puts us right back at 7-5 record from last year.

I love our D. However we're going to need to score points to win. I honestly would have thought the 6 game winning streak was possible at the start of the season but I don't think we're winning every one against TTU, OSU, WVU, KSU, etc. I honestly just hope we get to 6-6. I'd take that guarantee in a heartbeat right now.

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
7-5 with 6 victories over the likes of IW, Akron, KU, Baylor etc isn’t a step forward. Sure, if you thought this team’s peak was 7 wins, you still have a decent chance for that.

Last year was a 7-5 regular season record with all 5 losses being winnable games. It’s not freaking out to realize that despite having a very good defense and an elite running back, the offense has resulted in it being unlikely that record is surpassed. A big part of that is the preparation disadvantage of the Iowa game, but there’s been zero development on offense.

7-5 in the regular season last year included 2 incredible upsets. I think most honest fans would admit beating OU and TCU were unexpected, ahead of schedule upsets. Last year was a 5-6 win team without those upsets, so to say 7 victories this year is not a step forward is, I think, only looking at the records and not the play.

Granted, our offense has definitely not been a step forward thus far.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
7-5 in the regular season last year included 2 incredible upsets. I think most honest fans would admit beating OU and TCU were unexpected, ahead of schedule upsets. Last year was a 5-6 win team without those upsets, so to say 7 victories this year is not a step forward is, I think, only looking at the records and not the play.

That 7-5 included three losses in which we led in the fourth quarter. It included going only 3-5 in games decided by 10 points or less. Last year’s 7-5 was indicative of the quality of play, and that team was closer to 8 or 9 wins than it was 5 or 6.

With what we returned improvement in the record from Year 2 to Year 3 should have been expected

Now, the Iowa game easily could be a win if the SDSU game occurs, and we would have played better against OU if facing them in Week 6 like a year ago.

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I'm not melting down. Some are, but not so many. But, my optimism and interest is leaking away. I want to see good, balanced football. This offense is historically bad so far. A defense that keeps scores close does not really make me feel like this team is "right there."

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm not melting down. Some are, but not so many. But, my optimism and interest is leaking away. I want to see good, balanced football. This offense is historically bad so far. A defense that keeps scores close does not really make me feel like this team is "right there."

Yeah Land Grant I hear you Bro.....I refuse to meltdown this early in the season...I know...I know ....It's hard to believe that I have that much restraint but I Do................And remember GO Cyclones

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

That’s such ******** about last year. Of course there were two upsets. But we lost close games to Iowa, West Virginia, and of course we really did beat Kansas State. Our luck was even. You could just as easily say we could have been 10-2.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Very good points. 2-3 would feel alot better than 1-3, and I think were actually 3-2 with that first game. The team is still in line with alot of people predictions. Offense does t look good, but I still think it has to do with who we played.
Campbell said he played with things during Akron so that one should have an Astrix. Iowa and TCU being the other 2 against solid defense.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Am I the only one who doesn't think Zeb has played poorly? Maybe its just me but I would point more to the playcalling than the QB play. We are really missing manning. Don't think the outcome on saturday would have been different if Kempt had been playing.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneTJS

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Maybe. I don't know if it matters a whole lot which one is under center. I'm not crazy about guys losing their spot due to injury, but I don't think Noland has necessarily done anything to warrant going back to the bench either. It'll be a tough call for Campbell once Kempt is cleared to return.

So many in the fan base want to open it up and throw down field. Others want an accurate passer like KK was at times last year. But mostly people seem to just want someone else since we failed to knock off 2 of the best teams in our conference in back-to-back years.

I'ma gonna wait until the season is done before sticking forks or raising statues.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Bulllllllllll garbage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron