Moneyball

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't think this thread will get much traction. It would be pretty hard to argue that Ferentz doesn't do a good job of evaluating underappreciated talent and turning them in to good football players. It's the other parts of his coaching that stirs the most discussion.

I see a lot of (probably deserved) who cares type posts coming.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I don't think this thread will get much traction. It would be pretty hard to argue that Ferentz doesn't do a good job of evaluating underappreciated talent and turning them in to good football players. It's the other parts of his coaching that stirs the most discussion.

I see a lot of (probably deserved) who cares type posts coming.

Probably right.

Since Iowa basketball recruiting gets so much play......thought I'd throw in football recruiting.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Iowa needs to play moneyball when they cant even land the best players in their own state.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The day I feared has come. This is a cyclone and hawkeye message board now. Better update the site name.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
This article is accurate. Ferentz can develop players...always has. With that said, I'm glad he's a conservative and some would say 'poor' gameday coach. That's what has helped us win several times in this series and is what I hope comes into play every time we play Iowa.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I see two sides to it. Yes, he does a great job finding guys and turning them into NFL talent.....but if he has all this NFL talent, where are the championships?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I see two sides to it. Yes, he does a great job finding guys and turning them into NFL talent.....but if he has all this NFL talent, where are the championships?

it's not if he has nfl talent, the drafts speak for themselves. The second part of your statement is where the discussion gets interesting.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

Game management issues and being too conservative are the two major things, IMO. I think the guys that Ferentz recruits lend themselves very well to his system, I just think the system could be executed a little better. Iowa obviously prides themselves on running a pro style offense, but for my money they concentrate too much on the run game and 6 yard outs. I think if they tried to stretch the field a little more it would open up the run game and the tight ends over the middle even more. But, it's a catch 22 because they don't (can't) recruit the guys to do that.

Sounds like Davis has a couple of true burners to work with this year in Powell and Willies. Lets see if they try and add any flavor to the play book or if Rudocks lack of arm strength prevents that.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I understand what they are driving at with the article but have to take it with a grain of salt when considering how much money in funneled into Iowa's athletic department. They are #11 in total athletic budget (public schools only).

Saying things like small market, etc... are lost on me when you consider that.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I understand what they are driving at with the article but have to take it with a grain of salt when considering how much money in funneled into Iowa's athletic department. They are #11 in total athletic budget (public schools only).

Saying things like small market, etc... are lost on me when you consider that.

Which makes one wonder, why isn't more monies allocated towards recruiting?

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
i think an interesting angle on this article is, being that iowa is a low population state, how much is the KF approach holding back Iowa State or even UNI? or does it not matter? rather than recruiting out of state like most of the conference, iowa ends up offering a lot of iowa kids that could otherwise play at ISU. iowa doesnt produce a lot of talent so ISU is forced to spend money looking elsewhere.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That really has no relationship with Moneyball at all. They used advanced stats to do things where Iowa is saying things like "kids in the midwest respond different." Stupid comparison.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
most school's recruiting budgets are a product of where they recruit, not vice versa.

Makes sense, but why can't it work the other way. If Iowa dumped a little more money into recruiting maybe they could get to Texas, California and Florida more often. Unless they are conceding the fact that those efforts wouldn't pay off? I suppose those types of athletes don't have much desire in playing in a northern climate in Iowas system?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
That really has no relationship with Moneyball at all. They used advanced stats to do things where Iowa is saying things like "kids in the midwest respond different." Stupid comparison.

not really. The concept of moneyball isn't using advanced stats, it's finding value in under-appreciated markets. For the A's, that was OBP and defense. For Iowa, it's midwestern kids.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron