More cuts at Principal

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
after cutting 600 jobs, they are now eligible for about 2 billion dollars in federal bailout funds. Cut 600 jobs and get rewarded by the government. I bet those 600 people are excited to have helped their former place of employment with a large sum of bailout money.

Good point. Keep the 600 jobs you've deemed expendable, stay bloated, and we'll reward you with TARP money.
Huh?

I’m not following the logic here.

Your point is we should reward companies for operating less efficiently?
Don't you see the downside to that?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

(nothing against PFG, but are you serious?)

Nothing against you, but do you not understand the approval process for this program?

Let me clarify, I'm not a backer of the whole bailout bill in the first place. I emailed my congressman to vote against it.

I'm just clarifying the realitiy of what the program is now that it is here.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
From what I understand from a friend that works in IT. The company has left it up to the individual business units to make decisions on how to best reduce costs and keep from going in the red. It sounds like some BU's let people go right away, while others tried to cut in other areas.

Most news stories I have seen and from discussions I have had with my friend each layoff is at the BU level not company wide. This strategy has both pros and cons. Personally I like the fact that some BU's tried to make it work before making cuts. That would help keep my morale high as long as I thought they were trying everything in their power to not lay people off. Just my opinion though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nothing against you, but do you not understand the approval process for this program?

Let me clarify, I'm not a backer of the whole bailout bill in the first place. I emailed my congressman to vote against it.

I'm just clarifying the realitiy of what the program is now that it is here.

You are aware that the government gave a "loan" to Chrysler and expected them to pay that back too right?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Two things make little sense when reading this comment.

1 -- the TARP money is a loan, so they wouldn't be approved if they were in such bad shape they couldn’t pay it back.
2 -- if you read the article(s), it clearly states that Principal was eligible for this due to the fact they have a bank (i.e.….Principal Bank). This money is part of the bank related TARP funds and only companies that met the qualification could apply. There was even talk of some insurers looking to buy a bank so the could qualify for these TARP funds.

Anyway, they are "only one of six insurance companies" because the criteria for approval is pretty strict. They had to show they were financially healthy enough to pay it back and they also had to have a banking affiliation to allow them to qualify in the first place.

I hear your good points, but the 10 of the 19 TARP large banks that failed the extremely watered down stress test results went out to raise more capital quickly as we have not even had the full effects of fallout from the collapse of commercial real estate yet. If you are mentioned as being eligible/qualified for TARP, it is a stigma, and it is reasonable to assume that your company needs a backstop. TARP association is not good for a company at this time.

That said above, the stock price may improve for now:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...wsj?siteid=nwham&sguid=nnhEygdbRkGOkQOsOwdPJQ

Last edited:

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I hear your good points, but the 10 of the 19 TARP large banks that failed the extremely watered down stress test results went out to raise more capital quickly as we have not even had the full effects of fallout from the collapse of commercial real estate yet. If you are mentioned as being eligible/qualified for TARP, it is a stigma, and it is reasonable to assume that your company needs a backstop. TARP association is not good for a company at this time.

Here's a list of companies that have taken TARP:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/tarp-chart.htm

Lots of stigma if that's the case. Some of these companies have turned profits and are doing OK... at least for now

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

That said above, the stock price may improve for now:

MarketWatch.com Story

That doesn't surprise me that the stock is up. At the Earnings Call, almost all of the questions were about holding adequate capital.

Raising more capital will be seen as a plus to the market....