Morels?

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Nothing here yet in eastern Iowa in the usual spots.

Anyone finding grays yet?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well back to mushrooms rumor is small greys are appearing. I can't ever find those little buggers anyway. They need to be at least an inch or two high before I can see them.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Haven't heard much in central Iowa, hoping to catch it just right with turkey hunting next weekend in southern Iowa.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
A friend on FB posted that she had found ~40 lbs somewhere around Council Bluffs. Offered them up for $25/lb, is that a normal going rate??

I'm a fan of mushrooms, but not that much of a fan.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
A friend on FB posted that she had found ~40 lbs somewhere around Council Bluffs. Offered them up for $25/lb, is that a normal going rate??

I'm a fan of mushrooms, but not that much of a fan.

That's a good price. You'll see them advertised for $50/lb or more.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
That's a good price. You'll see them advertised for $50/lb or more.

So people will pay more for some of these mushrooms than a really good steak (or just about anything else I can think of)? :shocked:

Do they reverse the signs of aging and make your ***** bigger, or what?

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
So people will pay more for some of these mushrooms than a really good steak (or just about anything else I can think of)? :shocked:

People are lazy and they aren't sold in grocery stores.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

Its pretty easy to kill a cow and cut some meat off of it. Pretty easy to understand supply and demand.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Its pretty easy to kill a cow and cut some meat off of it. Pretty easy to understand supply and demand.

Right, but a piece of that cow tastes wayyyy better than a mushroom.

To each their own, but there's not any food anywhere that I'd pay $50/lb for.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Right, but a piece of that cow tastes wayyyy better than a mushroom.

To each their own, but there's not any food anywhere that I'd pay $50/lb for.

I'll agree that it's hard to beat a good steak, but morel mushrooms are a delicacy that only appear in the wild for a few weeks each year. Then they're gone. And they're not exactly easy to find, either. This is the only time you'll get to find them and eat them fresh for the whole year. And they are delicious when fried. Fresh crappie + morel mushrooms + cold beer = close to Heaven.

I wouldn't pay $50/lb myself, but a pound of mushrooms is actually quite a bit and there are people that will pay it.