Morgan Kane OUT for Kansas game Wednesday

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Morgan Kane will not play tonight against Kansas. Non-COVID, non-injury. Jordao starting in her place:

• Informative
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Izzy came in mid-way and looked out of sorts, but for a few brief seconds looked good. It was too much for Bill and she was pulled and came back late.
In this particular game, Diew of all people ended up being the #2 center, which was unexpected but successful. She may have struggled to make shots until late in the game, but she was very active on the defensive end and offensive glass. 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists (only 1 turnover), 2 blocks, and a steal. She had 5 of our 7 offensive rebounds (excluding team rebounds) -- Ashley had the other two.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In this particular game, Diew of all people ended up being the #2 center, which was unexpected but successful. She may have struggled to make shots until late in the game, but she was very active on the defensive end and offensive glass. 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists (only 1 turnover), 2 blocks, and a steal. She had 5 of our 7 offensive rebounds (excluding team rebounds) -- Ashley had the other two.
They'd "gone small" like that a couple times for brief stretches in previous games. I like it - it creates mismatches, but can lead to rebounding issues. Of course it only works if Ashley is on the floor.

Izzy and Vick just don't look ready and Nyamer's arms are so long, she causes issues.

I liked how she kept shooting even though she missed her first 6. For the mismatches to work she needs to keep shooting those.

Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How do you think things will sort out with Fritz healthy next year?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I watched this game today on delay so I didn't learn of the illness issue until the pregame. My initial thought was that they would go small when Jordao was out. Ny is such an asset being able to play 3-5 and guard 1-5. I was also glad she kept shooting the 3. We all know she can hit them, they were just a bit off for her today. Glad to see they started to fall for her at the end to fully ice the game. It will help her confidence as well to see those last ones go in. It will also keep teams honest during the stretch run and into the conference tournament to see that you can't just let her gun out there without a hand in her face.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
How do you think things will sort out with Fritz healthy next year?
That depends on whether Ashley can be convinced to return. I'm guessing she doesn't (although I have no inside info) so we have:

PG: Ryan (Dawkins backing up? Donarski otherwise)
SG: Donarski (Fritz backing up)
3G: Espenmiller-McGraw (Aubrey/Fritz backing up)
4G: Diew (Aubrey/Fritz backing up)
C: Kane (Jordao/Vick/Zingaro backing up) -- Jordao is a senior this season but can return.

The minutes are there for anyone who can convince CBF that they can be counted on to play reasonably well. Ryan, Donarski, and Ashley played a combined 111 out of 120 minutes in a game we led by double-digits for the last 3 1/2 quarters. I can see a situation next year where Fritz/Diew/MEM/Aubrey are able to give Ryan and Donarski more breaks.

Reactions: acoustimac

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That depends on whether Ashley can be convinced to return. I'm guessing she doesn't (although I have no inside info) so we have:

C: Kane (Jordao/Vick/Zingaro backing up) -- Jordao is a senior this season but can return.

The minutes are there for anyone who can convince CBF that they can be counted on to play reasonably well. Ryan, Donarski, and Ashley played a combined 111 out of 120 minutes in a game we led by double-digits for the last 3 1/2 quarters. I can see a situation next year where Fritz/Diew/MEM/Aubrey are able to give Ryan and Donarski more breaks.
Is Dawkins the only recruit we had this recruiting year? Think we try to grab a transfer?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Is Dawkins the only recruit we had this recruiting year? Think we try to grab a transfer?
Dawkins is it at the moment, and I don't know of anyone else we're currently seriously looking at.

I think you always need to look at the transfer pool anymore. If Jordao is staying another year, we may not bother. If she leaves, we could try to get a one-year post while Vick and Zingaro continue to improve. An experienced point guard to take some of Ryan's load would be nice as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think you always need to look at the transfer pool anymore. If Jordao is staying another year, we may not bother. If she leaves, we could try to get a one-year post while Vick and Zingaro continue to improve. An experienced point guard to take some of Ryan's load would be nice as well.
How many open schollys does ISU have right now?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
How many open schollys does ISU have right now?
If nobody transfers away and Joens and Jordao both return, two. But if Fred, MEM, and Kane all do an extra year, there's only one open scholarship in 23-24. That's probably not going to happen, though. But we do need to keep that spot available for Audi Crooks and/or Sahara Williams (and maybe Keira Spencer).

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If nobody transfers away and Joens and Jordao both return, two. But if Fred, MEM, and Kane all do an extra year, there's only one open scholarship in 23-24. That's probably not going to happen, though. But we do need to keep that spot available for Audi Crooks and/or Sahara Williams (and maybe Keira Spencer).
You know my thoughts on the first one. I don’t know who the other two are. Posts I’m assuming?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Didn't Fritz earn a starting spot once prior to the foot injury at Drake. If she comes back strong we may be pretty well-set at guard next year, but without Ashley. Fritz also had a few assists, and has a decent 3-point shot.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I was under the impression Fritz was a point guard who was playing off ball because of Emily. Is she a natural two?