Morgantown, WV Questions

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Good morning Cyclones!
With the schedule being released today, my crew is excited to plan our next away game tailgate. Our plan is to go to Morgantown this year and I just had a few questions:
  1. Where does everyone typically stay? From what I am seeing it looks as if the area close (East) to the Monongahela River is the best as it has a few bars (Iron Horse Tavern, etc). I seen a couple VRBO/AirBNB as well as a Marriott in the area that we are scouting but open to other options. Is this not the place to stay? We would rather stay by the bars/restaurants and travel to the stadium on Saturday morning.
  2. What are some must do things in Morgantown?
I probably will have more questions, but we are only 30mins out from the release so I will start with those.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I went in 2013. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Van Voorhis. Close to the stadium, but a ways from downtown. Wasn't hard to catch a cab down to the bars, and was real convenient on game day. It was also very close to Kegler's sports bar, which had awesome wings and made for a good lunch stop the day we got into town.

It's been 10 years, so I'm sure there's been plenty of places come and go, but Sports Page downtown was a really fun college sports bar. The breweries there were pretty good as well.

As far as the game goes, just grab some beer and walk around the tailgate lots. You will have 0 issue finding a tailgate that invites you in. WVU fans are the absolute best.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Good morning Cyclones!
With the schedule being released today, my crew is excited to plan our next away game tailgate. Our plan is to go to Morgantown this year and I just had a few questions:
  1. Where does everyone typically stay? From what I am seeing it looks as if the area close (East) to the Monongahela River is the best as it has a few bars (Iron Horse Tavern, etc). I seen a couple VRBO/AirBNB as well as a Marriott in the area that we are scouting but open to other options. Is this not the place to stay? We would rather stay by the bars/restaurants and travel to the stadium on Saturday morning.
  2. What are some must do things in Morgantown?
I probably will have more questions, but we are only 30mins out from the release so I will start with those.
Shotgun beers with anyone wearing more than 75% animal skins

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The game is in October so the trees should be pretty colorful. It's a beautiful area when the trees have their leaves, kind of depressing when they don't.
The first time I stayed at the Marriott right by the stadium. The only bar I've been to is the Varsity which is right next to the stadium. After the game I walked in and was immediately invited over to a table of WV fans. The last time I went it was raining and I just went to the game, got in my car and started driving back.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
We went out there for Rhoads last game.... we stayed at the Hilton Garden inn. Very nice place.
One night our group went next door to the Buffalo Wild Wings.. They saw our Cyclone gear and everyone would stop by and thank us for coming to morgantown.... They manager came over and said that our Mens basketball team was on tv and thought we would want to watch... so they put it on the biggest screen in the place... and turned the sound up....
Everywhere we went.. everyone was very friendly and would stop us and thank us for coming to Morgantown....
one time during the football game.... I went up to the restroom and got stopped and thanked 4 times before getting there. We took our RV up to their basketball coliseum before the game and had a big tailgate with other ISU folks and other West Virginia people we knew..... Overall it was a great time and very friendly people.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pretty sure @Al_4_State and I were there same year.

A trip all Cyclone road gamers should make.
We did a BNB North of the stadium. Went to Keglars Friday night before the game.
Went to bars south of Stadium after the game.
Tailgate between the hospital and the stadium. You'll be welcomed and offered moonshine. Beer is also for sale in the stadium.

Good people.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Also, there's a dive bar in town (think Thumbs-esque) where you get hot dogs with coleslaw on them.

Edit: found it! Gene's beer garden
AF1QipPNCyIGc_BcVSeZfeyVRmPy1j5fqd5CDeRNy27P=s680-w680-h510

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
I've been to this game a few times now and am planning to go again this year. It's a blast. WVU fans are awesome. The tailgating really reminds me of being at Jack Trice.

We usually don't stay the night as we are just a 3.5 hour drive away in Virginia. We did stay there in 2017 - and this is why I'm posting. DO NOT, under any circumstances, stay at the Hotel M Morgantown. Most disgusting place I have ever stayed in my life. It was filthy. I didn't even take my socks off the entire time - not even to sleep. They had dark nasty brown color on them. Threw them away before I even got in the car to drive home. There was dried snot on the wall in the bathroom and hair everywhere. We even discussed sleeping in the car instead because it was so gross. My stomach is actually turning just thinking about it now. LOL

Beyond that, love Morgantown and the gameday atmosphere. Can't wait for October 12!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We went out there for Rhoads last game.... we stayed at the Hilton Garden inn. Very nice place.
One night our group went next door to the Buffalo Wild Wings.. They saw our Cyclone gear and everyone would stop by and thank us for coming to morgantown.... They manager came over and said that our Mens basketball team was on tv and thought we would want to watch... so they put it on the biggest screen in the place... and turned the sound up....
Everywhere we went.. everyone was very friendly and would stop us and thank us for coming to Morgantown....
one time during the football game.... I went up to the restroom and got stopped and thanked 4 times before getting there. We took our RV up to their basketball coliseum before the game and had a big tailgate with other ISU folks and other West Virginia people we knew..... Overall it was a great time and very friendly people.
I was at that cold wet game.

Reactions: CYTruck

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
We got an VRBO close (5 mins away) to what I think is the downtown area. We are going to keep looking and may look at potential hotels in the area as well. I keep seeing everyone saying they stayed closer to the stadium. Would that be recommended? We have gone to an away game the last 3 years and have always stayed closer to the night life, i.e. bars, restaurants, etc. We are very open to by the stadium, but would like different options of bars and restaurants.

Our main reason for wanting to hit up WVU is from all the great stories we have heard from other ISU fans. When the Big 12/ISU released that we were going to WVU this year we decided that was going to be our destination.

Another thing we are running into is extremely high flight cost out of Des Moines. Any recommendation there? We have talked about just flying into Pittsburgh and driving. Right now flights into Pittsburg are roughly $450+. Flights to Morgantown are $600+. We are looking to go Thursday, October 10 thru Sunday, October 13.

TIA for any advice provided.

EDIT: I am thinking "downtown" is considered north of Pleasant St and in between Beechurst Ave and Spruce St. Please let me know if we aren't looking at that correctly.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We got an VRBO close (5 mins away) to what I think is the downtown area. We are going to keep looking and may look at potential hotels in the area as well. I keep seeing everyone saying they stayed closer to the stadium. Would that be recommended? We have gone to an away game the last 3 years and have always stayed closer to the night life, i.e. bars, restaurants, etc. We are very open to by the stadium, but would like different options of bars and restaurants.

Our main reason for wanting to hit up WVU is from all the great stories we have heard from other ISU fans. When the Big 12/ISU released that we were going to WVU this year we decided that was going to be our destination.

Another thing we are running into is extremely high flight cost out of Des Moines. Any recommendation there? We have talked about just flying into Pittsburgh and driving. Right now flights into Pittsburg are roughly $450+. Flights to Morgantown are $600+. We are looking to go Thursday, October 10 thru Sunday, October 13.

EDIT: I am thinking "downtown" is considered north of Pleasant St and in between Beechurst Ave and Spruce St. Please let me know if we aren't looking at that correctly.
We just drove. It’s cheaper and we had a car.

You’re accurately describing downtown.

If I went back I’d probably stay downtown vs by the stadium, but stadium area has its perks.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A road trip to WVU had been on the bucket list for our tailgate group. It's either this year or wait a few years. Plan to make a swing through Nashville and bourbon country if we make the trip.

Reactions: nrg4isu

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
We just drove. It’s cheaper and we had a car.

You’re accurately describing downtown.

If I went back I’d probably stay downtown vs by the stadium, but stadium area has its perks.
We have driven to Norman (8hrs) and Cinci (10hrs), but the 12hr trip to WVU is just a little too much for our work schedules.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
Been there twice now. Stay close to downtown if you can for Friday and Saturday night fun. Saturday morning ride the PRT train to get out toward campus and stadium. Usually the DC alumni club hosts an event at Mountain Mama's bar the morning of the game. Hit that up for a couple of hours, then buy a six pack (or case, whatever floats your boat) and walk toward tailgate lots for an hour or two before game. Take PRT back downtown. There will be lines so stay in lots for a bit.

For a side trip hike Raven's Rock east of town (within Cooper's Rock state park).

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Living in the DC area, I go whenever the Cyclones play WVU. Hotel Morgan is right in the downtown area as is Scholar Hotel. Scholar is a nicer hotel, but usually pricier than Hotel Morgan. Fish Bowl is always fun, Sports Page is a fun dive bar with pool, arcade games, and cheap beer. Morgantown Brewing Co. makes decent beer and has good food. DP Dough makes fatty, delicious sandwiches and there's food stands in downtown if you are someone that stays out late.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

We flew into Pittsburgh and drove down. It's beautiful and there are a few neat breweries you can work into the route, if that's your thing. I'd recommend that plan, especially if you can manage a day in Pittsburgh on one end or the other. It's a beautiful city and has some fun spots.

If I were you, I'd stay near the downtown area. That definitely seems to be where the nightlife is and it was very lively and a ton of fun the night before and after the game. Saw a ton of cardinal and gold out there both nights, too.

There's a pretty slick elevated tram that runs between the stadium/campus and downtown that we used to get around.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We stayed in Pennsylvania and drove down to the game, do not remember the town, but it was 25/30 minutes down to Morgantown. We drove out on a Thursday after work, went down and explored around Morgantown on Friday night, be sure to do the lookout in the public park, its a few miles from town and just beautiful to see. We purchased a parking pass online by the hospital and tailgating in that lot.

The people are great to tailgate with, they could not believe we had driven all the way from Iowa to see the game. Plenty of moonshine, best road game we have ever gone too, the people out there were just great and they like to drink.