Most Annoying Stereotype/Misconception of Iowa

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I don't understand it when people from Minnesota make fun of us. It's basically the same darn state except they talk funny and have a mall.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Having lived in Iowa for 21 years, the biggest drawback is that the geography. Quite simply I like to have mountains, national parks, and a seacost nearby.

To be honest though, there aren't too many states that can compete with Alaska for those attributes.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
That we grow potatoes. I have had countless people say something about potatoes when I tell them I'm from Iowa.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Being born and raised in North Dakota, and you think Iowa has stereotypes.

And no - it's not like the movie Fargo, though my sister sounds like it. By the way Fargo has a very strong presence with Microsoft if you grads a looking - they are expanding again.

We do like Ames, it just needs to get a more aggresive on it's community issues. Quit hiring so damn many consultants, and do you job councils.

And before you bash me, I will be involved very shortly.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Living in Vegas and visiting California from time to time has given me the perspective that Iowans are MORE well-rounded in their cultural knowledge. People out here have absolutely no clue where any states are located (isn't that taught in every single grade in elementary school???) and they think that tornadoes run rampant on an every day basis in Iowa. I've also noticed a troubling trend of the "more cultured" population out here being a whole lot more intolerant of other races/cultures than their own even though the national media wouldn't ever admit that.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Most Annoying???

That we're ALL Hawkeye fans. Come on people, this is CYCLONE COUNTRY!!! :yes4lo:

When I lived in Arizona, I had a bunch of co-workers try to give me grief when UofA beat EIU in football in the late 90's. I was like great game, I'm glad the Wildcats won. I'm a CYCLONE, not a Hawkeye!! BTW, only time I've been a UofA fan! I could not stand my UofA co-workers!! Of course, this is because they won the bball National Championship while I was down there.

Mar 29, 2006
While CF was down for the past day or so, I had to lower myself to reading the MSU board and reading what their opinions were of Ames or Iowa in general. I saw the typical corn and the population jokes. I just don't understand why Iowa is seen in such a bad light by people outside of the state. We have good down-to-earth people, good schools, and overall, I think it's been a great place to grow up. For me, the most annoying thing is the perception that we're all uneducated hicks that aren't up to speed with the rest of civilization.

It's unbelievable that people from East Lansing can rip on Ames. East Lansing is a total crap hole! Plus, they should realize that they are similar to us (the local media always downplaying their success and sucking up to their big brother in Ann Arbor).

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I feel that some of the most uneducated people are on the coasts. The computer they use is started its technology in Iowa. The food they eat was probably from Iowa. Alot of famous people are from Iowa. They tend to pick on Iowa out of all of the states in the middle here. Its bizarre.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
The "small towns = small minds" comment really gets to me. On TV, or in the movies, there is always the mentally handicapped kid that everyone in the small town picks on, shuns, or treats like he has some contagious disease. Having grown up in small town Iowa, we had a couple of mentally handicapped kids, and they were treated very much like part of everyone's family. They went to school like everyone else, and they worked (as much as they were capable of doing) just like anyone else. While I've never seen a mentally or physically challenged kid picked on, stared at or treated like a pariah in a small town, I HAVE seen them treated this way in big cities.

People from high population areas sometimes feel the need to put down others to make themselves feel better about themselves. It's a fact of life.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
while it does bother me that many people on the coasts consider us to be small minded (not true), or behind the times (partly true), it is nice to know that those same people admire us for our hard work and our pride. i have talked with several business men from both of our countries shores and they say that they wish that their employees were more like us. i think the majority of the negative beliefs are made by a minority of people who are in the media or have some level of fame.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
My brother and his wife (both IA born and raised) moved to WA State nearly 3 years ago. Because of the work ethic they had engrained in them while living here, they have moved up faster in their companies than any other person there. Their bosses love them and I don't see them slowing down in the advancement any time soon.

One good stereotype I found out years ago is that people in Iowa are nicer. Go to KC and sit down at a restaurant and see how your service compares to what you get in Iowa. If you get a nice waitress/waiter, they might just be from here.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
the thing i, by far, hate the most is when i tell someone i went to ISU and they reply "oh the hawkeyes?" it will be a cyclone state one of these days and then my kids will not have to worry about being mistaken for those uglies from the east

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
the thing i, by far, hate the most is when i tell someone i went to ISU and they reply "oh the hawkeyes?" it will be a cyclone state one of these days and then my kids will not have to worry about being mistaken for those uglies from the east
Living in Colorado, I've had several CU alumni/fans respond, "Oh, you guys are the Buckeyes, right?" when I tell them I went to Iowa State. Come on, people! ISU and CU are in the same freakin' conference! That does give you a decent snapshot of the general lack of sports knowledge common among CU fans, though.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

I actually had an out of state relative of my wife send my kid a JERKEYE sweatshirt!!! The wife was going to take it to Goodwill or something, I would have nothing of it. I picked it up with a stick and threw it in my neighbors trash.