Most Improbable Win Since?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
An incredibly important win in more ways than one.

It would have been one thing if we had stopped the slide at home against an average team. That would have been like, "hey, they stopped the skid and got some positive thoughts going into postseason".

This one not only stopped the skid, but it should certainly bring the confidence and swagger back. Not many teams have the capability to go into senior day at the #7 team in the country and dominate them.

Not flinching when BU cut it to 4 was maybe the best part of the deal.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I was going to say the win in Norman.

This feels like that. Good ISU fans (I am talking about the level-headed types, not the negative-Nancy's) were saying we'd never have a win over Oklahoma until CFB was cancelled forever, then we just go down there and put off a W.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think the Donovan Jackson team winning at Phog was still crazy. This one is right there.
That one was surprising and not at the same time if that makes sense. Like the talent was there but we were sliding so hard to the point people were actually unsure if we would make the tournament before that. Without a doubt a contender for it

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It doesn't seem like it should be up there because we have beat a LOT of top 10 teams this year. This was never a bad team. It was a team that played bad several times over the the last month.
That's valid. I think beating one on the road with the losses we took before it makes it one though

Reactions: Acer88 and jsb

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That one was surprising and not at the same time if that makes sense. Like the talent was there but we were sliding so hard to the point people were actually unsure if we would make the tournament before that. Without a doubt a contender for it
Yeah for me it also comes from it being the weekend after I drove to Nashville and back and watched that bad game there.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
An incredibly important win in more ways than one.

It would have been one thing if we had stopped the slide at home against an average team. That would have been like, "hey, they stopped the skid and got some positive thoughts going into postseason".

This one not only stopped the skid, but it should certainly bring the confidence and swagger back. Not many teams have the capability to go into senior day at the #7 team in the country and dominate them.
Yeah, I think if you somehow win the one against WVU in Hilton on Monday, you get a different result today in all likelihood. But blowing out #7 on the road just does more for the mental side of the game for the guys at a critical time.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Memphis early last year, if only because we were all still hoping to be mediocre and competitive. I don't remember anyone thinking we had a real shot in that game, we just hadn't seen it yet against that level of talent. Hopefully today builds some confidence and leads to that same kind of run.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It doesn't seem like it should be up there because we have beat a LOT of top 10 teams this year. This was never a bad team. It was a team that played bad several times over the the last month.

If seeding was determined only by top ten and top 25 wins ku and ISU would be the top overall seeds.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Memphis early last year, if only because we were all still hoping to be mediocre and competitive. I don't remember anyone thinking we had a real shot in that game, we just hadn't seen it yet against that level of talent. Hopefully today builds some confidence and leads to that same kind of run.

It was like “wow not a fluke”. We’d have won 9 of 10.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
Since '17 @ Kansas to me. That win gets talked about a lot because it's "winning at the Phog" and it's just so rare to win down there, but it was critically important to how that season played out. That Monte team was really struggling to find their identify early on and they were not playing good ball. That win got that team their mojo back. Hope this does the same.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
7-3 against the top of the conference and 2-6 against the bottom......not sure I've ever seen anything like that in 40 years watching college basketball.
Timing of when we were playing those teams and how were playing at the time contributed to this, but still quite odd.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron