Most Physical BBall Team in Recent Memory?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
After watching youtube videos of Deandre Kane, Dustin Hogue and Richard Amardi today a quote came to mind from Mike Brey after our mathup with Notre Dame last year. He said ISU's roster was full of men. Grown men he said. Those three certainly are grown A men and they play with an attitude! Hogue and Amardi are impressive, very explosive athletes. Go watch their youtube videos if you haven't done so already. There's been a lot of discussion this week and I've gotta agree with CW my projected starting lineup is:

PG: Deandre Kane 6'4" 200 lbs
G: Matt Thomas 6'4" 190
G: Dustin Hogue 6'6" 220
F: Melvin Ejim 6'6" 230
F: Georges Niang 6'7" 245

Now no knock on Korie, Will or Tyrus from last year but they weren't exactly pit-bulls on the defensive end. I personally have never seen a more physically intimidating backcourt at ISU than what I posted above. Kane will be a bear for every point guard not named Marcus Smart. Matt Thomas might be the most physically ready guard we've had since Hoiberg. Hogue is a freak athlete and will be a lockdown defender i.e. Babb. Ejim and Niang. Let's just say I'm not worried about them. Those two boys play with their hair on fire.

I expect this team to be better than last year by season's end. That lineup is capable of some incredible defense and I think we all know we can score it at a high clip.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The gold standard is still '99-'00. Tinsley, Horton, Nurse. Those guys were NASTY.

I hope next year's back court is half as good/tough as those three.

EDIT: Add Fizer and Stevie Johnson in the front court. Now that was a team of "men".

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I do see this team playing better defense, mostly due to the fact that we'll have to. We likely won't average 80 points as we did last season. Guys like Kane, Hogue and Amardi will be an upgrade defensively.

Obviously Thomas will be a step back from Babb, but he has the size to play the 2.

The addition of Doc Sadler, can't hurt either.

Niang will be improved with his experience and better conditioning.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We should be better on defense... And I still wouldn't be surprised if we lead the Big12 in scoring.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
The gold standard is still '99-'00. Tinsley, Horton, Nurse. Those guys were NASTY.

EDIT: Add Fizer and Stevie Johnson in the front court. Now that was a team of "men".
physically and mentally tough--1999-2000 ISU squad one of the toughest teams in Big 12 memory

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Any team with Fizer and Tinsley is just ridiculous. Fizer and Stevie Johnson were 6'9" and 6'7" linebackers on the basketball court. Let's hope this team adopts that same mentality. The most physical team we've had since '00 maybe it'll trend towards the direction of most wins since '00?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I disagree with your assessment of Tyrus on the defensive end. He doesn't get enough credit for his defense. He wasn't Babb, but he was very active on the defensive end

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We should be better on defense... And I still wouldn't be surprised if we lead the Big12 in scoring.
Find it hard to believe the clones will lead the league in scoring but they should be towards the top. I think KU and OSU will be up there.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Any team with Fizer and Tinsley is just ridiculous. Fizer and Stevie Johnson were 6'9" and 6'7" linebackers on the basketball court. Let's hope this team adopts that same mentality. The most physical team we've had since '00 maybe it'll trend towards the direction of most wins since '00?

Maybe. 04-05 was a pretty tough group. Stinson, Blalock, Homan, Staple and a young Rahshon Clark.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I disagree with your assessment of Tyrus on the defensive end. He doesn't get enough credit for his defense. He wasn't Babb, but he was very active on the defensive end

Active and annoying and a good rebounder, but he lost his man too many times to be considered a good defender.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Active and annoying and a good rebounder, but he lost his man too many times to be considered a good defender.

Agree - Tyrus was all about hustle and effort. Unfortunately, he frequently did the wrong thing on D. He did it hard though...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have seen glimpses that make me think Naz Long fits into this category. He would play so hard on defense last summer in the Cap City League that guys would get really frustrated with him, but he kept doing it. I loved seeing someone go all out on defense in the summer.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Don't forget Holloway. That group was tough as nails too. Much tougher than 04-05. I didn't bring them up only because of how far back that was.

Love me some Jacy Holloway but I don't think you can compare 6 foot 160 pound Jacy to 6'4" 200 pound Kane.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

Those may have been the listed heights but that's probably a little generous. Guys were fearless inside though.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Those guys were fun to watch, nothing dirty about the way they played at all but they flat out beat ppl up. Watching them play in person, it seemed like opposing guards had to work just to get into their offense. The big 12 title game watching poor Hollis Price deal with those guys every trip up the court was one of the best defensive efforts I've seen in person.