Most surprising road win

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I’m stunned by the team performance last night and trying to compare this road win to others in the recent past. Beating Nebraska under CPR, Tex A&M, OU w/back up QB? Any others that come to mind?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Dont think this compares to any of those. We played well, BYU is not a good team.

Agreed. It's all about expectations. The circumstances - night game, western road trip, fresh opponent that plays well at home - had us primed to expect a difficult game. Instead we got what we'd probably have seen had the game been in Ames. Probably helped that we seized momentum early so they didn't get confidence.

Reactions: Cyclone06

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I mean even the local news is killing them. So not really surprised

"That BYU’s current roster has been overmatched has been apparent since the 44-11 shellacking at TCU a month ago. It was masked somewhat by the 27-14 win over Texas Tech, which was playing with a third-string quarterback who gift-wrapped BYU a couple touchdowns.

Since then, BYU has been outscored 117–26 and been exposed as easily the worst 5-5 team in America."

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I’m stunned by the team performance last night and trying to compare this road win to others in the recent past. Beating Nebraska under CPR, Tex A&M, OU w/back up QB? Any others that come to mind?

The last time we blew out KU in Lawrence? BYU sucks.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
BYU sucks ass dude

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That’s the worst team we’ve played since UNI, in my opinion - them and Baylor. We played like **** against Baylor, played almost perfectly last night.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Awesome game last night. One thought I’ve had is that can we ever just say Iowa state played a great game without diminishing their performance by saying oh team x is terrible or not good. I get BYU isn’t great, but it’s definitely been a trend this year when we play well. Take the Win and celebrate their efforts!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This was unique in that, in the first 3 minutes...seemed we were gifted everything, but then BYU tore through our defense.

But, we asserted ourselves and absolutely was in the driver's seat (and far behind the gimmes in the first few minutes).

Definitely feels good to go into an away venue and dominate, but as others have shared, not sure I'd put this on an " all timer" list as id hope it'd be the norm to be able to go beat a team you should beat

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There is variance with the topic -- it can encompass major upsets, of course, but also margin of victory compared to expectation and yes, in some cases the opponent wasn't "all that good" but at the time the game was played, we weren't aware. (example of that is 2010 at Texas).