Motor oil question

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I have 3 cars. 2 over 130k miles and 1 over 200k miles. Between full synthetic and high mileage, which will extend the life of the engines the most? I'm guessing full synthetic, but I'm no expert by any means.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I have 3 cars. 2 over 130k miles and 1 over 200k miles. Between full synthetic and high mileage, which will extend the life of the engines the most? I'm guessing full synthetic, but I'm no expert by any means.
I'm no mechanic, but I'd think those engines already have a fair amount of wear. Nearly all motor oils have a lot of synthetic in them. If I was picking, I might choose Valvoline high mileage, but any good quality oil should be fine. Don't let it get low and keep up with the changes and the oil isn't likely to be the reason for a failure.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Most internal engine damage occurs at startup when parts have little oil coating. Synthetic blends probably leave enough coating to minimize damage. If you want more, compare the cost of using full synthetic with oil additives such as Rislone.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The high mileage generally add a rubber softener to help with hardened seals. I prefer full synthetic and would only use high mileage if you had some leaks that maybe it would seal. I generally get the synthetic Quaker State in the green bottles at Menards or Walmart. Just over 20 for 5 quarts and scores very well in independent testing.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I run a synthetic/regular blend the whole time. No issues. Make sure to check the oil and if it leaks or uses any to check and keep filling more often.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Quite honest, the most important is, regular maintenance, and quality parts.

Use a quality oil, and change regularly, 3k for standard oil and semi synthetic, 5k for synthetic. I know you can go more but on a high mileage engine its safer to go less.

Personally I would go with at least a Semi synth High mileage. From a quality company. Everyone has opinions on which brand is best. But as long has it is not walmart brand etc, its probably ok.

Quality oil filter....NOT FRAM. Go with WIX or Napa Gold.

Check oil regularly, and keep it full, between changes, watch for leaks etc.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've used Mobil 1 since 2003 on all of my vehicles. I had to scrap both cars at 240k, and 260k respectively, both due to rust. The engines were still very strong.

Reactions: Yaz

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I use what they tell me to use. For our VW it's full synthetic and every 10k miles. For the Kia it's full synthetic and 6k miles.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I've been told you should pick one and stick with it. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I've been told you should pick one and stick with it. Don't know how accurate that is though.
I don't think it's a big deal anymore. At one time different oils had significantly different chemistry (Pennzoil) so there was some risk of a different oil loosening contaminants and putting them in your oil (and bearings). Current oils are pretty similar in their chemistry. Women notoriously don't check their oil so you might have to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I don't think it's a big deal anymore. At one time different oils had significantly different chemistry (Pennzoil) so there was some risk of a different oil loosening contaminants and putting them in your oil (and bearings). Current oils are pretty similar in their chemistry. Women notoriously don't check their oil so you might have to do that.
Yep matters very little at this point. Oil bases are now extremely similar and the only major differences are in the individual additive packages that get added.

If anyone really wants to nerd out on oil here is your rabbit hole https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My car has about 130K miles and burns about 1 quart every 1k-1.5k miles. I use this and top off whenever needed. I rarely drive it anymore living in Chicago so am going to be selling it soon as I’m wasting $ on car insurance while it sits 99.9% of the time.
You can get 5Q at Wal-Mart for $17.
1659834775172.png

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I use what they tell me to use. For our VW it's full synthetic and every 10k miles. For the Kia it's full synthetic and 6k miles.

This. Most things are figured out by now. Pay special attention to any temperature suggestions your vehicle may have if you’re engine has a turbo too. Follow the guidance and you should be fine. Agree on high quality parts though.

At this point, we should be debating which car wax to use if you want to keep a car forever.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
My car has about 130K miles and burns about 1 quart every 1k-1.5k miles. I use this and top off whenever needed. I rarely drive it anymore living in Chicago so am going to be selling it soon as I’m wasting $ on car insurance while it sits 99.9% of the time.
You can get 5Q at Wal-Mart for $17.
View attachment 101459
This is what I use as well. I've driven 5 different vehicles with 175k+ in my days and in my experience the full synthetic products tend to burn a little faster in the higher mileage motors. I usually resort to the cheaper Synthetic blend and just change it more often (3000-4000).

Reactions: cyclonedave25

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron