Moved threads ...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Because they're repetitive in their nature and sometimes things go wrong.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We combined a lot of threads that were about the same exact things just to make it easier for people to read and reply. It doesn't serve much purpose to have 300 threads all talking about the Drake game. The one thread that got deleted was due to a database error because two mods were simultaneously merging threads into it and caused the master thread to get erased.

We hate moderating because we just like to enjoy the site as much as everybody else but sometimes we have to combine threads to keep things easier for the readers.

bluehooper

Apr 10, 2006
why do threads constantly get moved?

So now there is one official thread for men's basketball unless everything is happy? Some new threads might ask questions that are not ripping on the team. For instance could "discombobulated" have been correct? Are we not allowed to discuss anymore?

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
We combined a lot of threads that were about the same exact things just to make it easier for people to read and reply. It doesn't serve much purpose to have 300 threads all talking about the Drake game. The one thread that got deleted was due to a database error because two mods were simultaneously merging threads into it and caused the master thread to get erased.

We hate moderating because we just like to enjoy the site as much as everybody else but sometimes we have to combine threads to keep things easier for the readers.

See the reason above for why threads keep getting moved.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
See above bluehooper. You can discuss anything you want but we have posts so you don't have to resort to creating a thread for every comment or thought on the same subjects.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I understand why threads need to be moved sometimes, but it's a lot easier to follow a thread when it doesn't have 15 pages.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
But tonight there would have been over 50 threads talking about the same thing and that's far more difficult to follow than one string of posts. The problem is that either way not everybody is going to be happy.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Re: why do threads constantly get moved?

So now there is one official thread for men's basketball unless everything is happy? Some new threads might ask questions that are not ripping on the team. For instance could "discombobulated" have been correct? Are we not allowed to discuss anymore?

Like Jeremy and CyGal said, it's all about keeping repetition to a minimum. We try and only have one post-game thread, for example - win OR lose. We don't always set it up in time, but it's the ideal.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
I understand why threads need to be moved sometimes, but it's a lot easier to follow a thread when it doesn't have 15 pages.

I tend to agree with this. A specific thread could be an offshoot of one large topic (i.e. tonight's game) and yet when it gets merged into one large thread you lose track of the thoughts.

On the other hand, has anybody ever visited Tigerboard? I'd hate to see this place go that direction.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Moving threads is the only annoying thing about this site. I hate having to follow 15 pages of threads. Let as many threads show up as people want. Its not a big deal.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
But tonight there would have been over 50 threads talking about the same thing and that's far more difficult to follow than one string of posts. The problem is that either way not everybody is going to be happy.

I understand that. I'll give you an example of what I mean. Tonight, I wasn't following the game thread. I read your thread about Iowa State fans being pathetic because I found it interesting. Then all of a sudden it is in the game thread on page 15 or 18 or something. There are random responses in there that had nothing to do with the thread that you created or any posts in it, the one that I was interested in reading.

It may clean up the forums as far as the amount of threads, but it makes the thread that everything got moved to a complete mess.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I fully understand. I'll talk to the mods and see what we can do. I just ask that people be respectful of the mods as it's been incredibly busy today/night and we're just trying to make as many people happy as possible. Thanks for the feedback and we'll keep trying to improve how we do things but we just ask that people have constructive remarks like you did and not snide remarks like others have had about threads being moved, etc.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Moving threads is the only annoying thing about this site. I hate having to follow 15 pages of threads. Let as many threads show up as people want. Its not a big deal.

I think I passed you coming back up to Ames tonight ajk...I would have waved and honked but I was pissed about the game and couldn't fit "tigershoops31" on my license plate like you can so I probably would have just freaked you out :mask:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't like lots and lots of pages either.

So, there is a setting in the options that allows you to set the number of posts that show up per page.

There are two schools of thought...

Big threads
Many threads about the same/similar thing.

It's been my experience it's much easier to read a board when there are consolidated threads.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Only a suggestion. Let more than one game thread run - cap at five. Then refuese any new ones. Long running threads on postgame become very unwieldy as responses are comng faster than one can read when games go bad. No wonder the game was shown on Drake TV. No more games in Des Moines ever.

Nebraska also lost tonight at Western Kentucky.

Last edited: